Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-13, 05:51 AM   #1
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Just sharing

A couple of recall memories.
The average home on this lake runs about $750,000. More if you want actual water frontage.
I looked at a two bedroom COTTAGE last summer, 40 ft of Lake Front...asking price...$538,000. Thing was puny and surrounded by mansions. An empty lot, probably the only one left on the lake, last year went for $1,278,000. Crazy huh?

Needless to say...I'm still living in town.
I kayak is probably a better investment for me.

I told some stories about a river I fish, Rock River.
Here's a view I had.

I go in up under the bridge. I then walk to the point of the River shown by pic and cross the river and work the opposite side back.
I then do the same on the other side of the bridge.
You see the pilings a had questions about.
Took pic along with others to help explain my challenge.
Then the 'PUTZ' who took the pic couldn't download it.

Wait till I show you pics of the hills I climb up and down on another BOW I fish.
Wondered why I weigh so little didn't ya.
Now you know.

If you WANT to fish...there are no obstacles that CAN stand in your way!
Oh I did this frequently twice a day. Once at daybreak and then later at like 4-5 till dark.
Man I LOVE to fish.
Oh in case anyone wondered, ya I'm wading and that view is when I was wading to opposite side to wade back.
Man I LOVE fishing!
Old 01-04-13, 08:13 AM   #2
bassboogieman

Quote:
kayak is probably a better investment for me.
I love mine. On my home waters I prefer it to my bass boat. But my H/W is electric only - and that weighs HEAVILY on my choice.

Waterfront property is nice, but unless I inherit some - it's not something I'll ever have. I've asked Dean to adopt me, but I won't inherit from him, he's way younger than I.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-13, 04:34 PM   #3
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

The kayak is one of the best things I ever bought. While you think that you wont have quite the access to large lakes that you once did with a bass boat, its not as bad as you might think. Since you don't need a ramp for the yak, pretty much any place a public right of way comes in contact with the lake is a potential access point, and I figure if I really want to I have about a 4 mile range in the yak, so that means I have most lakes pretty decently covered for that 1 time $300 investment.

But I do miss flipping.

In regards to waterfront property, it depends on the location. For some its a status thing. These people have the main lake lots of cliffs overlooking say wilson lake, with huge houses. That type of deal always costs $500,000 and up.

If I were ever to do it, I would put a small 15'x15' cabin on a tributary somewhere. Maybe upper elk river. I could get that done for waaaay less.
Old 01-04-13, 04:41 PM   #4
nofearengineer

I will probably have enough money squirreled away for some waterfront property...by the time I die.

It's just gotten to be such a hassle, what with the EPA, USACE, you name it...the red tape is ridiculous.

I would LOVE to own some property on Dale Hollow. Unfortunately, that is impossible, as the USACE forbids it.

Oh well, just add one more thing to the "list of stuff I will never have".
Old 01-04-13, 05:31 PM   #5
joedog

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post

That's the 'bucket with a hole list'. right?

I got a 'couple' of those.
Old 01-05-13, 06:03 PM   #6
bamabassman

we HAD the best (in my opion) of waterfront living, a small OLD home ont he bluff overlooking the tenn river/guntersville lake. there is apic of lisa and i somewhere with the lake in the background. some folks here have seen it and even been there. we also had a lot ON the same lake. but only for 1 summer, had to sell. sold it for what we paid for it so we didn't lose our rears, then the guy who bought it put a price 5 times what he paid for it. yep...still for sale.

but what i wouldn't give to have that bluff house again. maybe one day.....hey i can dream can't i? we are probably where we will be for the rest of our lives. not bad either. 45 mins form guntersville, 15 mins from weiss...so i am ok with it.

but you let me get that job where i can make some SERIOUS change.......

AFTER i do some things...it's going to be AWESUM.
Old 01-07-13, 12:59 PM   #7
bassboogieman

Quote:
Y'know I was really tempted to make a list for ya - but I am going to be good. It's my New Year's Resolution and it's been six days now...

Quote:
I would LOVE to own some property on Dale Hollow.
Seriously - y'know I thought about a "vacation property" several times in the past. At the shore? Nah, I hate the shore. Mountains of PA or another relatively close state? Yeah, but I would not get the usage for the investment. Lake property? Most appealing to me, certainly. But again, owning a second home was/is not practical for me. I can take two trips, of a week each, every year to a lodge, rental, etc. and spend less money than the taxes would be on a second home. Why own one and put up with the headaches? If it was a full time, primary residence - that would be nice. But I like diversity (in my vacations) and would feel if I owned a second home I would have to go there, to at least get some usage from it. I gave up on the idea DECADES ago.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 01-07-13 at 01:06 PM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-13, 03:07 PM   #8
WatterBoy

Well, our current "second home", which is where we will retire to in 6-8 years, is certainly nothing fancy and NOWHERE near the cost like those Joe shared, but we definitely enjoy it and try to make the most of it from April through October. Decent fishing, a nice beach for the kids, and plenty of family and friends to share it with us makes it an awesome place for us to just get away from everything else and relax and make great memories. I was fortunate enough to spend 49 full days up there last summer, not to mention all the other half/partial days for arrival and departure. Hoping to spend as much or more time there in 2013.

Left - cabin/house (3 BR, 2 bath); Middle - "game room" with giant table built on the actual stump of an old tree where 10-14 people can eat/play board games/etc.; Right - 1.5 stall garage where all the water toys, including the boat, are stored

View from our living room window of the "no wake zone" channel we're on

Some friends' kids on our beach

View across our channel

Sunset from our dock

Last edited by WatterBoy; 01-08-13 at 12:02 PM.
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-13, 10:30 AM   #9
Abbeysdad

Yeah, water front property would be great, especially if on a good lake. Too rich for my blood lest I won a lottery or publishers clearing house!
I guess I'll just plug along and see if I can get us a bit more self sustainable. Gonna plant a big garden again this year and thinking of maybe getting some chickens. Maybe clear some land and have a pond dug.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.