Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-05, 12:45 PM   #1
NJRapala46
BassFishin.Com Member

Default dropshot

what takle do you guys recommend for dropshotting. In specific, weights, hooks, and rubber worms

thanks
NJRapala46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-05, 01:08 PM   #2
Curado
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I'm not a big drop shot guy so I probably can't help much, but when I do I use a fairly heavy weight like a 3/8 oz. I use about a 3/0 finesse worm hook and nose hook a 4 in. finesse worm.
Old 07-31-05, 06:09 PM   #3
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Been fishing it quite a bit lately. Haven't caught a lot on them, but haven't caught a lot on anything lately Anyway I use a spinning reel, and a 6'6 MH rod, a medium would work fine probably. I have a little way I rig it so as to not lose the hook, and bait. I tie on my 1/0 Gammy or Owner hook, and then leave about 8" of line left hanging. I tie a regular old not wherever in that 8" I want my weight to be at, usually around 4"-6". I then put a #3 split shot right above the knot. If the wind is heavy or I'm moving quickly I will add another split shot. Usually the weight is was gets caught up, so with the split shots(just crimp them lightly) will slide off when snagged. However the knot keeps them from sliding off unless it's a decent snag, no weeds or such. Occasionally I will ose the last couple of inches of line, so I have room to spare also. I use 12lb Trilene XL as line, or Fireline 20lb. The Fireilne I use when fishing around timber, and heavy weeds. The mono I use more in open water situations. It is a great technique, and I've also been working it some(without success I might add) on suspending fish, just making the length between the weight and bait 2'-3' so it's out of the view of the bait. Then just wiggle and jig at apropriate depth. I haven't had much time using this yet, probably 20 minutes. But I believe it will work on those suspending bass as well as anything else will.

Lizards
Old 08-02-05, 02:56 AM   #4
bassin socal
BassFishin.Com Member

I have two ways to dropshot open hook and conventional. I uses a 6'6 spinning rod and usaually 6lb test except at night. I usaually fish 4-7" worms with anywhere from a 12-18" leader between hook and dropshot weight(tungsten 3/16 oz). and i never dropshot vertically I always always drag my dropshot through cover as upposed to fishing over the top of it. I cover more water that way and work structure more thouroughly. Most people think dropshotting has to be with small plastics, I did too at one time but dont be afraid to to put a longer of beefier worm on there if your not gettting bit. good luck hope this helps. Scott R
bassin socal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-05, 09:55 AM   #5
PowerBass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I have a hard time bringing myself to try new techniques, Maybe I'll go tie one on now.
Old 08-03-05, 12:21 AM   #6
Skeeter

I use a 6'6 medium action rod with 6-8 pd flourocarbon test. Remenber this is supposed to be finesse fishing so the lighter the better, rods, line, weights etc.

I do agree with socal though. Don't be affraid to upsize the bait occasionally. I also work the rig more in the cast and retrieve method rather than the verticle presentation. You can cover much more water this way. If you've never tried this before and are still fighting the dog days of summer, give it a try. It is truly a killer on smallies but will work on LM as well.

Skeeter
Skeeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-05, 07:03 AM   #7
PowerBass

If I were to try a drop shot, would this rod be good for it in clear watrs?

6ft Light Action Fenwick HMX
6lb Test Trilene XL or 4lb Stren Original
Quantum Xtra~Lite Reel, 5bb's 56 ft 6lb test and 80ft 4lb test
Small Splitshots on the knot like lizards said
2/0 finnese worm hook from Gamakazu, it looks like a circle hook
and etiher a 4 inch Yum Dinger or 4 inch Tiki Stik
may use a nose hooked 6inch finnese worm.
Old 08-03-05, 07:09 AM   #8
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter
I use a 6'6 medium action rod with 6-8 pd flourocarbon test. Remenber this is supposed to be finesse fishing so the lighter the better, rods, line, weights etc.
I have a reasoning behind the 12lb mono I use. I don't believe 12lb test to be a light line. Mono floats, better than most lines. Thereby helping even a little keeping the bait more bouyant. I personally don't agree with the line visibilty issue anyway. But I do believe the 12lb mono helps(very slightly but some, the bigger the bait the less the help) when using this technique. Now I AM BY NO MEANS A EXPERT, but I try to apply things that I know and use in other methods to ALL of my techniques.

Quote:
I do agree with socal though. Don't be affraid to upsize the bait occasionally. I also work the rig more in the cast and retrieve method rather than the verticle presentation. You can cover much more water this way. If you've never tried this before and are still fighting the dog days of summer, give it a try. It is truly a killer on smallies but will work on LM as well.

Skeeter
I also use it more as a cast and retrieve method more than a stationary postion. You can basically fish it as a t-rig/c-rig/mojo-rig/whatever-rig. Just like any other style, you gotta find what the fish want, as for speed etc... on the presentation. I have not however "UPSIZED" but will have to try that out. I will also have to try a longer leader too. Good post fellas, a couple of new ideas to try out is always a "GOOD THING".

Lizards
Old 08-03-05, 10:48 PM   #9
DStu22
BassFishin.Com Member

PowerBass, Everything looks good that you mentioned, but I would use a 6'-6" or 7' med to med/light rod. This will allow you better leverage on a hook set and a better feel to detect the light strikes that often occur with this setup. Checkout this website for a great article on dropshotting http://www.richz.com/fishing/ or http://www.aaronmartens.com/featured.shtml

Last edited by DStu22; 08-03-05 at 10:56 PM.
DStu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-05, 11:18 PM   #10
Skeeter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerBass
If I were to try a drop shot, would this rod be good for it in clear watrs?

6ft Light Action Fenwick HMX
6lb Test Trilene XL or 4lb Stren Original
Quantum Xtra~Lite Reel, 5bb's 56 ft 6lb test and 80ft 4lb test
Small Splitshots on the knot like lizards said
2/0 finnese worm hook from Gamakazu, it looks like a circle hook
and etiher a 4 inch Yum Dinger or 4 inch Tiki Stik
may use a nose hooked 6inch finnese worm.
Read Lizards and DT's respones for more info. Both good posts. Also, not sure if you've ever used circle hooks but there a little differant. You don't really "set the hook" as normal but rather when you feel pressure or think the fish is there, use a sweeping motion and start reeling. Hope this helps.

Skeeter

PS--6' is probably a little short as DT said.
Skeeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-05, 07:31 AM   #11
PowerBass

Skeeter,
thanks for that info, I will look into a 7ft M action Spinning rod, maybe next week.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.