Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-06, 06:18 PM   #1
squack15
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Fishing Report, KY lake

Well, we had a Murray State University Bass Anglers tournament on good ol Kentucky Lake today. It was warm in the morning (50) and a front started to move in around noon. I had a pretty lousy day w/ just one fish (any day on the lake is better than a day at school though) compared to the rest. Six of us decided to brave the cool water (46 degrees) and fish; it turned out good for some. Here are the results.

1st 5 fish 18+ w/ an 8 pound kicker!!
2nd 4 fish 11+ w/ a 4 pound kicker
3rd 2 fish 5.2 w/ a 3
4th 2 fish 5.0 w/ a 3
5th 1 fish 3.0
6th 0

Not too bad for a bunch of college students. Almost every fish was caught relatively shallow on cranks or jerkbaits fishing pretty slow around main lake and secondary points. (I couldn't get the winner to let me in on his secret though )

If I can I'll get some pics and post them.
Good Luck, and good fishin!!!
squack15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-06, 07:03 PM   #2
Fishie
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Hey I agree with you on the school thing...how do you like Murray State???
Old 02-25-06, 08:52 PM   #3
squack15
BassFishin.Com Member

Love it! Its a little more laid back than most colleges, we don't have the as much of a party atmosphere as say UK. Its more of a country school. I've heard that classes here are more difficult than other universities, but they're really not too bad....unless you're Biology, then its really tough....Plus we have Kentucky and Barkley lakes so if you can manage to get a schedule w/ no classes on a couple of days (like me) you have a ton of time to fish. The only thing I'll warn you about.....there are no jobs in Murray, so if you want to fish, you better have a good summer job.

Oh yeah, we have one of the best college fishing team in the nation. Watch out for us on ESPNU and Fox when their college fishing tournaments are on. We're gonna rock them!!!
Old 02-25-06, 09:05 PM   #4
lovinfishin9
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to lovinfishin9

thats cool, glad you had fun. I agree with you about fishing being better than school.
Old 02-25-06, 09:36 PM   #5
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Where did ya go out of ? was the water up enough to flip buck brush?
usually this time of year they look for pea gravel off pts and throw the rogue or trap, maybe a spinnerbait..
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-06, 12:10 AM   #6
squack15
BassFishin.Com Member

Nah, the water is really low for this time of year, we're still at or maybe even a little below winter pool. We launched out of Kenlake State Park, but fish were caught north and south of the fenton bridge. The fish won't start doing their real prespawn bit until the water gets above 50 degrees, but in the winter on kentucky lake the fish bunch up really tight. If you can find fish that are willing to feed, you can often catch a large quantity of them. My theory is that they stay near or in creek channels in the winter months, and move up to feed at certain times of the day....possibly being triggered by the sun or moon phase or any other number of reasons. The key is figuring out when they move up and are active.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.