Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-06, 08:00 PM   #1
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Talking BrokeBack Mountain

The slippery slopes of brokeback mountain..............

Penguins, hillbillies, robots and psycho killers with power saws are more popular than kissing cowpokes.
So are bloodthirsty Martians, convict quarterbacks, cartoon chickens, Hogwarts wizards, Siths, Batman, the Invisible Girl, Johnny Cash and a giant monkey that climbs skyscrapers.
To hear the media tell it, "Brokeback Mountain" is wildly popular, even in heartland red states. "Brokeback Beats Back Competition" said an AP story on Jan. 2 that was typical of the coverage, reporting that gay cowboys were more popular than "King Kong" and "The Chronicles of Narnia." That's as wrong as John Wayne in a sleeping bag with Slim Pickens.
Box office figures show "Star Wars" is No. 1 among movies released in 2005, with a gross of more than $380 million. Next are "Harry Potter" ($287 million) and "Narnia" (passing Potter soon). "King Kong" is No. 5.
"Brokeback" is No. 33 with $72 million, trailing "Chicken Little" (14), "The Dukes of Hazzard" (25) and "March of the Penguins" (26).
But which will win a saddlebag of Oscars on March 5? Hint: It won't be that Christian Narnia story. It will be a movie that sticks to Hollywood's politically correct script like bubblegum on a theater seat.
Even cheesy recycled TV shows like the "Dukes of Hazzard" make the Best Picture nominees look like duds: "Brokeback," "Crash" (49), "Munich" (65), "Good Night and Good Luck" (91) and "Capote" (108).
But they all push politics like popcorn: gay marriage ("Brokeback"), racism ("Crash"), conservatives are McCarthyites ("Good Night"), sympathy for terrorists ("Munich") and anti-death penalty ("Capote").
I'm not saying "Wedding Crashers" is better than "Munich" or Chicken Little out-acted the sheep ropers in Brokeback - only that the Oscars are awarded more for politically correct propaganda than for excellence in art or entertainment.
No wonder Hollywood has red ink in Technicolor, with ticket sales down 6 percent in 2005, the worst dip in 20 years.
My Best Picture pick is "Narnia" or an uplifting story about a boxer who fights for his family, "Cinderella Man." But those were not nominated. Eight nominations went to "Brokeback" - which wraps gay sex in seductively beautiful scenery like French postcards in a family Bible.
There were about 10 people in the audience when I saw Brokeback the other night. It was not as ugly or as beautiful as critics claim. The love scenes were first offensive, then just tiresome as desensitivity set in. But for me, it flopped. I just didn't care about the lost, damaged cowboys. As I watched Marlboro men making out, I couldn't stop a small voice in my head from asking, "What's wrong with this picture?"
In my politically incorrect opinion, this is what's wrong: It dishonestly portrays selfish betrayal of family and marriage as a brave struggle against repression, as if homosexual love is more noble than traditional marriage. It plants a sharp sexual thorn in the comfortable shoe of male friendships.
Behind the beauty is an agenda to drag America's cowboy heroes through prickly pear and recruit a vigilante posse to string up any tire-iron bigots who won't embrace gay marriage.
Slate writer Mickey Kaus calls media hype of Brokeback the "heartland breakout" myth: It's not enough to pretend the emperor is not naked. His new clothes must fit everyone.
Critics insist Brokeback is an ordinary love story that just happens to be about two men. But ordinary stories don't get eight Oscar nominations. Artful propaganda is still propaganda.
I'd rather watch breeding penguins than mating cowboys - no matter what the Oscars, critics and media tell us to think.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-06, 08:18 PM   #2
Denny_K
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Is the beer tasting good tonite

JB, Are these words built from a budweiser can and or cans...lol.Just kidding.I agree with ya.You did a h#ll alot of typing .Good one bro
Denny
Denny_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-06, 08:31 PM   #3
JB

yea denny, I found a mug that holds two beers (hic) and have 3 refills to date, man the aroma of new tackle fillls the house, how bout u?
Old 03-05-06, 10:02 PM   #4
bassinbob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

JB, I won't ever go to see that movie. I've given up on Hollywood and their wanting to cram down our throats the crap they put out. On top off all the crap is the actors and their liberalism. The only good actor who became a politician was Ron Reagan. Probably the last too.

Bob
Old 03-05-06, 11:48 PM   #5
Rebbasser

Preaching to the choir as far as I'm concerned, JB. I haven't been to a movie in years-I'd rather buy a crankbait with the money. If there is a movie I want to see I just wait until it comes out on DVD. Besides, the garbage coming out of hollywierd ain't worth wasting my time on. I'll take the Duke in a heartbeat.
Old 03-06-06, 09:03 AM   #6
PowerBass

Queer Cowboys, not my kind of movie. What the hell is wrong wiht people these days?
Old 03-06-06, 10:50 AM   #7
H2O

JB

So many new words to me, But it's so true to me too!
H2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-06, 05:37 PM   #8
Bass Ackwards

I'll check it out on DVD also but the thing that bothers me is the boys like to go on fishing/camping trips and I was planning a fishing/camping/drinking/paintball trip this year. Now I'm not so sure as I don't want to be the butt of every joke at work.

Can anyone go on a fishing trip now with out think about Brokeback?
Bass Ackwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-06, 06:43 PM   #9
zooker

only ifin it is a shad rap..

jb
preachin to da choir.. i think there is only a hand full of movies i actually like. and i like them for a reason. the 2 transporter movies have great car chases and none of the over the top. 15 mintue fights with the same guy..

zooker
Old 03-09-06, 11:58 AM   #10
flbassman

Okay, about the penguins. I guarantee that movie has gay undertones. I never saw it, but who else do you know that marches? Huh? And their little tuxedo's, and the gay penguins in central park? THose are some fag birds.
Old 03-09-06, 06:17 PM   #11
IL.bassin36
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to IL.bassin36

Y'all notice it was about Cowboys and not sheep herders? I'm just sayin
IL.bassin36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-06, 07:09 PM   #12
flfireman

Leave the penguins alone, watch Madagascar, them are some bad a$$ little penguins there.
Old 03-10-06, 04:39 PM   #13
flbassman

True, flfireman, I saw that, and them penguins were hardcore.
Old 03-16-06, 02:00 AM   #14
fishin_dude

Check out this hilarious spin off................ http://www.ifilm.com/WMPPlaylist.asx...&bandwidth=300
Old 03-16-06, 01:31 PM   #15
CarpMan

It sounds like it's about two wanna be cowboy bubba’s trying to do what Hollywood calls humpback maountain, which in realitry is just two humpback mounting gay cowboys acting like to fools. It just ain’t our thang. We ain’t seen it, don’t wanna see it. Our ole friend "Duke" was bigger than life, and if he knew me and Polly were watching, he would probably have tears in his eyes bigger than horse turds. We have all the Dukes movies and ain’t no way we are going to lay the Duke down fur a couple of sissies. And that’s our openion.
CarpMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-06, 10:10 PM   #16
bassfisher02

Send a message via AIM to bassfisher02

Haha i'll never see ''humpback mountain.'' thats of no interest to me. Alot of movies these days that are coming out are terrible. Anyone notice that not many war movies that are actually saving private ryan quality are coming out? the last good war movie that i saw was the great raid, that was a very good war movie. i havnt seen munich, so i dont know about that, but one i did see that i truely disliked was jarhead. i thought that movie was going to be very interesting, but i thought it sucked. most people say that that is what its really like over there, i wouldnt know, i have never been. but i didnt like the movie much. what i want to see is a good conspiracy movie.
Old 03-17-06, 11:13 PM   #17
WTL

I have no interest in a movie about gay cowboys either. I do kinda want to see capote when it comes out on DVD, but Truman Capote was an interesting historical figure in his own right. I guess I'm also gonna check out Walk The Line, but thats about it.

Cinderalla Man was good, but the boxing genre has been done so many times. It was no better than Raging Bull, and too much like Seabiscuit from a structural standpoint.

I guess I'll also see Munich eventually, despite being the most politically minded guy on here I don't mind it if these movies have a little bit of spin.
Old 03-18-06, 09:35 PM   #18
lovinfishin9

Send a message via AIM to lovinfishin9

i just bought walk the line the other day. It was pretty good but most of it was just johnny cash trying to marry june carter and about his drug addiction.
Old 04-04-06, 12:45 PM   #19
JB

Default BrokeBack Mountain 2

Hollywood's done it again, pure genious
Attachment 272

Last edited by JB; 04-14-06 at 05:58 PM.
Old 04-04-06, 03:35 PM   #20
flbassman

"Screenplay by Howard Stern"
Old 04-05-06, 06:37 PM   #21
flfireman

That should win a few awards in vegas. Everyone knows what awards are there.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.