Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-06, 10:20 PM   #1
KenDammit
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default the REAL flying lure!

A post that Powerbass made me think about all the times I've been hit with something fishing...so what all have you guys gotten pegged with like a dufus?

I caught a 3/8oz spinnerbait right on the ankle last year...left a big red welt and a knot for a few days. The impact was so shocking that I almost fell in the water, lol. I also snagged a crankbait in an overhanging limb and upon jerking it off, it shot back and hit me in the calf..no damage, luckily.

Back in the day when bobber fishing, I've gotten excited over a bluegill nibbling my bait that I've jerked so hard the bobber has hit me. Fortunately no bullet or carolina weights have come flyin at me yet..but I think I'll remember that spinnerbait forever.
KenDammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-06, 10:54 PM   #2
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Lets see-whacked with a worm sinker umpteen times, been hit several times with a crankbait or a spinnerbait, impaled myself numerous times with a hook, slapped across the face with a plastic worm a few times and had my best friend snag the hat off my head on a back cast and throw it into the water without touching me. Twice. On the same day. Tough to dodge a long rod in a short jonboat .

I've also handed out my fair share-clocked an old girlfriend right between the eyes with a worm sinker, bounced a trap off a guy's head that didn't impale him but did draw a little blood, and took my best friend's hat off his head without touching him-on the same day-and chunked it in the water. We figured we must have been living right since nobody got impaled, but we did borrow a bigger boat after that one

We also still laugh about that one!

Almost forgot-was running across the lake WOT and had a bug hit me right betwen the eyes-no damage, but now I know what a windshield feels like
Old 03-13-06, 11:15 PM   #3
lovinfishin9

Send a message via AIM to lovinfishin9

ive got hooked plenty of times, and hit with bobers and plastic worms. My brother cught someone throught the eyelid on a backcast when the dumb kid walked behind him right as he swung back. Just went throught the eyelid, totally missed the eye!!
Old 03-13-06, 11:55 PM   #4
KenDammit

a long time ago while fishing a friends farm pond..we were probably 12 at the time...the friends little brother(I think he was around 7-8) was fishing with us..and he rared back like hell or high water ready to cast..hooked my friend, his older brother right between the eyes in the flesh of the nose. He thought he was hung on a clump of grass or something so he was jerking like crazy trying to free it up..all the while my friend is sitting there screaming while trying not to lose his balance from being jerked, lol
KenDammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-06, 06:47 AM   #5
dodgeguy

i was pulling a jig free and it came back and stuck right in my thigh.i had to cut it out with a knife.i tried that cut the barb off and push it back through garbage but that wasn't happening!!!it was less pain to cut through my skin.needless to say there was blood all over.i kept fishing anyway.
Old 03-14-06, 07:28 AM   #6
JB

I saw a guy snap off a texas rigged worm once in a big tourney on RockyFork Lake and the bullet sinker went right up his nose..he came back a couple hours later from the emergency room ..."good to go"
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-06, 07:44 AM   #7
Christopherkeene9
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

1/4 oz. weight hit me in the sternum. Knocked the wind out of me for a second.
Christopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-06, 11:22 AM   #8
NCYankee
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I was fishing a small pond in a rowboat with a friend. One of his casts hooked me in the arm. I don't know how, but his line broke and the barb did not go in. I pulled the hook out easily. Of course, I screamed like a little girl. My scream startled him. He quickly turned around and saw what had happened. After I pulled the hook out, we laughed and I started to fish again. He then asked, "Where did my rod go?" I startled him so badly with my scream he threw his rod in the water. We were able to find after a few minutes.
NCYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-06, 12:28 PM   #9
everettvet

Several years ago (about 15) my dad and I were fishing out of a little 2 man boat and he went to cast and placed a spinnerbait hook in my face (right cheek). Lucky for me he didn't have a trailer hook on it. We got it out and continued fishing. Luckly it wasn't too deep. If he said "I'm sorry" once, he said it a thousand times or so it seemed. Needless to say, mom noticed the puncture and briuse on my face and was a little upset with ole dad! I was laughing by that point! That just reinforced the idea of always having glasses on while fishing.
everettvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-06, 04:20 PM   #10
Wishing2BFishing

THE RICO DISASTER . . .

I bucked up and purchased an expensive RICO topwater. Not surprisingly, the first day I go to use it, yes . . . you guessed it . . . hooked the lure right into a tree.

Well, I couldn't let the tree take my new lure, so I jerked it and after much effort, the lure shot out at me. I swear it was going at least 30 mph. The lure impaled itself in my thigh. I tried to get it out without damaging the hooks but ultimately, I had to cut the trebles.

I never realized how stretchable skin can be. It took a pair of pliers to get the lure out. I almost passed out but after a beer and a new lure, I was good to go . . .
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-06, 06:18 PM   #11
Hef

Send a message via Yahoo to Hef

My first (and last) time fly fishing, I hooked into a nice one! He weighed about 140lbs and fought like a banshee. I was yelling and screaming for someone to help me........oh, did I tell you it was me that I caught? Thats right, I hooked myself right between the shoulders. Bad part was I couldn't reach it. Had to wait on my grandpa to show up and cut it out. Did I tell you that was my last time fly fishing? lol

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his"
- Gen Patton
Hef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-06, 07:14 PM   #12
zooker

got hit in the calf by a 4 oz mag "stinger" while salmon fishing once talk about blinking standing up only to find the ground..had a brusie for a month.. of course i have pitched a pnj right in to my thumb several times-ouch- but probly the worst was with bassenforcer yanking a c-rig loose the swivel wacked me in the fore finger knuckle at mock 1 dropped my rod -in the boat- hopped around cussing up a blue streak.. none of which hurt as bad as nailing your finger to a pallet witrh a nail gun-done it 5 times in 4 years-not counting a 3" flush 6 penny in the upper thigh..

zooker
Old 03-14-06, 10:22 PM   #13
bassinbob

About 40 years ago my cousin and I were fishing in the old wooden boat. He fishing out of one end and I the other. Back to back it was inevitable that one of us gets hooked. He proceeded to launch a menacing cast only to notice the hook and sinker lodged into something on the back cast. Without taking a moment to turn around to see what caught his offering he lunged forward with his rod. After two or three repeated pulls and my piercing screams he did look. He managed to impale my ear with his hook. After I launched a couple of explicatives in his direction I knew I needed to get this steel out of my ear. We didn't have a knife so I broke the string but the sinker was still attached to the hook. The point of the hook was lodged sideways in my ear. We pulled the boat up to shore and walked up to the cabin. We must have waited for my dad to get back from town for two hours. Upon his inspection of the ear he said I had two choices. Let him push it through or go to the doctors. Push it through dad, I didn't want to be a baby. He didn't give me a shot of whisky to subdue the pain but his breath from being in town for two hours was good enough. He pushed it through and snipped the point off and slid it back through. Now that I look back on it I realize what a lot of damn fun that was.

Bob
Old 03-15-06, 10:34 PM   #14
GorillaWarfare
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Last summer I got a inline spinner hung up in a tree after about 5 minutes finally jerked it out and hooked a 300 pound gorilla...right in the shin. Took about 20 minutes of yankin on it but I finally pulled it out
GorillaWarfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-06, 07:52 AM   #15
1FASTLASER

LMAO!! Damn zook you kinda sound like me. A accident waitinf for a place to happen. I aint never nailed myself with a nailgun but I dont use them neither. Would be costly if I did. ER room visits are expensive. LMAO!! I did smack myself, right in the kisser with a musky jitterbug,fishing a night tourney with my now deceased dad. The looks I got when I walked into the ER room where priceless.
Old 03-16-06, 07:34 PM   #16
zooker

so i take it you hooked a LARGEmouth......

rotflmao....

zooker
Old 03-16-06, 11:00 PM   #17
Rebbasser

Quote:
I did smack myself, right in the kisser with a musky jitterbug,fishing a night tourney with my now deceased dad. The looks I got when I walked into the ER room where priceless.
I don't care who you are, THAT'S FUNNY! That is a BIG bait to get smacked with.
Old 03-17-06, 02:13 AM   #18
bassintxlady

Send a message via Yahoo to bassintxlady

wow...i could make a killing just being the resident RN to take care of all these accident pt's....okay...i'm getting my jump bag together and will be making my rounds....i can just motor right up along side the boat fix ya right up and never miss a step in the fishing process....whoooohoooo...now to figure out the rate i can charge....hummmm.....have to think about this a spell......hehehehehe....thanks for the laughs guys....i needed it .....
Old 03-17-06, 07:12 AM   #19
1FASTLASER

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker
so i take it you hooked a LARGEmouth......

rotflmao....

zooker
As a matter of fact YES I DID. LMAO

Another time I had been down on the quachita river and was puttin the boat back on the trailer I was done for the day. Here comes these 2 older guys in a bass tracker boat. Couldnt help but notice and started laughing at the LARGE lip piercing this guy had. Now mind you my sight aint what it used to be so I was just laughing at the fact that a older guy would where a LARGE lip ring. Well why strapping the boat down the guy walks up to me and then thats when I started rollin. I know I shouldnt have but I couldnt help myself. This guy had a chrome blue back trap hung in his lips. Yes I did say LIPS. He wasmumbling can you help me out and where is the closest horspital. I did manage to get the hook cut off the lure and he could now move his lips. I still roll on this one.

Largemouth............I owe ya zook BEWARE!
Old 03-17-06, 04:46 PM   #20
JB

I was bank fishing once on a cattle farm and one of those stupid cows side stepped towards me and threw me in the pond , about up to my knees lol
JB is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.