Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-15-06, 10:22 PM   #1
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default An inauspicious beginning to a decent day

Met up with Flyrod this morning to hit the lake. We got there around 6:15 to strong winds and whitecaps. This is an electrics only lake only about 100 acres, so that ought to give you an idea of the wind. We finished our coffee and got the boat ready to launch. Flyrod went back to get the rest of the gear and I stowed the tie downs and transom saver. I moved the rods that were on deck out of the way and closed the lid to the storage compartment and heard one of the noises bass fisherman fear the most: SNAP! It was then I realized I missed one rod, and Flyrod's Team AllStar flipping stick was now 8 inches shorter. He was wondering why I was banging my head against the boat as he came back with the rest of his gear. Fortunately, Flyrod is not one to freak out over something like that, although he isn't going to let me forget it . So now I get to buy him a new rod, which I don't mind doing at all-especially since I broke his old one. Anyway, we launched and worked up the dam and across the south end of the lake. Flyrod said he had a surprise for me a few days back, and what it was is a new Team Daiwa reel(See my post on Buzzbait reels). Tuned it up, tied on a buzzbait, and threw INTO the wind and did not backlash once-WOO HOO! Thanks again, buddy-I REALLY appreciate it. Didn't get one on the buzzbait, or anything else until we got back in the main feeder creek. We started picking up a fish here and there, no size to speak of except for several keepers. I think we ended with 15, and all but one came on a wacky rigged 4 inch green pumpkin/chartreuse Tiki Stick.

The wind was bad enough to pull out the drift sock to slow our drift down, but we had a good time. We both missed several fish but had a good time-Flyrod keeps me laughing the whole time we are on the water.

Trailering the boat was a real adventure-ever try to trailer a bass boat without using the big engine? In a 20+ MPH wind? Beats going to the dentist but it is a challenge. Think of the Three Stooges trailering a bass boat-or in our case, the Two Stooges. Anyway, after 3 or 4 passes with the boat blowing perpendicular to the trailer it occurred to us to lower the big engine-we raised it to reduce drag going back to the ramp. That got it positioned well enough for me to crank it on the trailer. Even with the wind, the busted rod, and assorted misadventures on the water we had a great time!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.