Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-03-07, 08:14 PM   #1
revrat
BassFishin.Com Member

Default I sure got away with one today

Went out to Clear Lake after my night shift was over this morning, and saw one of my buddie's trucks go by as I was launching the boat. I called him on the cell and said "yo, let's go fish for a while." He says he'll call me back in a few and let me know if he's good to hook for a few hours. I told him I'd go catch a biggun while I waited on his return call. I started chucking a swimbait at a nearby water supply pipeline, and on about the 10th or so cast, it gets nailed.(this has been happening a lot on Clear Lake lately). I start to reef on the fish to get him in the boat, and I didn't think it was very big. While I'm playing it, my phone starts ringing. I know it's my buddy, and I don't want the call to go to voicemail, but I got this fish still fighting, which I have not seen yet. So to save some time I give a mighty swing to vault the fish into the boat as I reach to catch the phone. I didn't really see the fish so much as feel him go "THUD" on the deck of the boat as I answered the phone. I turned and just stood there looking at this 8 pounder thrashing on the deck listening to my bud tell me he can't go fish today. I say "Gee, that's too bad. Do you at least have a minute to swing back to the ramp to take a picture for me?" He did. I'm waiting on his wife to email me my pics tonight. I'll add them when they get here.

Anyway, I feel kind of goofy after years of telling partners to not swing 3-4 pound fish into the boat and then turning around an swinging an 8. I'm amazed the fish stayed buttoned, and even more amazed she cleared the gunwhale without touching it or breaking my rod or line. I really didn't think it was that good of a fish.

How big of a fish have you guys swung onboard with your rod and not had some sort of catastrophe take place?
revrat is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.