Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-07-09, 02:02 AM   #1
WIUbassin
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Novice crankbait assessment experiment

After spending 50 bucks after tax on 3 crankbaits last night at bps I got to thinking about how many 3-5 dollar crankbaits I could have got for the same amount of money. I have caught plenty of fish on cheaper cranks bombers, bandits, etc. So why is it that I find myself pulled to the lucky craft isle eyes wide? Is it a feeling that the more money i spend the more fish i will catch? Or can i actually tell a difference between them. Is shopping for lures different than shopping for a car, in the sense that any dumby can look and tell the difference between a red cavalier and a red corvete? But can an average novice tell the difference between a Lucky Craft RC 2.5 and a Mann's C4?
So I decided to pull out some of my different lures and set them on the table in similar pairs- size/color and asked my mother, father, and sister who all don't fish if they could guess which of the two was the more expensive lure. I'm not claiming to make any conclusions with my experiment just thought some of you might find it interesting. The results were kind of interesting.
Set 1.
Heddon zara spook - Sebile Magic Swimmer
2 of the 3 thought the Sebile was more expensive
(My guess because of the multiple joints?)
Set 2
Lucky Craft Moonsault - A strike king sexy shad crankbait
2 of 3 thought the Strike King crank was more expensive.
Set 3
Rick Clunn 2.5 - Mann's C4
This one was rather interesting because they both were in an "american shad" color and looked almost identical. All 3 thought the Mann's C4 was the more expensive.
Set 4
Spro Aruku Shad - Rat-L-Trap (both red craw color)
All 3 believed the Bill Lewis Rat was the more expensive lure.
Set 5
Lucky Craft Sammy - H2O Express Lure(Not sure the name but similar lure)
2 out of 3 thought the H2O was the more expensive lure.
Set 6
Rapala DT10 - Norman N
All 3 thought the Norman was the more expensive lure.

Conclusions? Not really sure, most of the colors were not identical, and whose to say what they were even looking at. When I asked them why they picked the ones they picked it ranged from the paint detail to weight to the grooves or texture of the lure.
But just something interesting to think about. 15 out of 18 times the test subject(with 0 fishing experience) believed the the cheaper crank was the more expensive one. Of course we all know its not about what the lure looks like its which lures catch fish.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.