Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-17-09, 07:42 PM   #1
Lancer6
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Talking "Saving Private English"...NOT a sequel.

Not to raise any hackles but there's something I've seen increasingly on the many forums I visit: My favorite Oklahoma U. boards; the several fishing forums I enjoy so much; even those whereat I am not a member but enjoy reading, such as a Texas Aggie forum (out of loyalty to Rebbasser and his alma mater, which I almost attended instead, BTW,) and so on. The problem is this:
All too often I see someone has used "of" where " 've" should be utilized. Example: "Dang! I could of won the tournament if only my partner would of not borrowed my last Slime Cheek critter bait in Hyena Vomit/Diarrhea Flake!"
The intent, of course. was to contract "could have" and "would have". However, the correct way is to say "could've" and "would've".
This, to me, is every bit so grating on my few remaining nerves as the use of "irregardless" when "regardless" should be used and "I could care less." when "I could'nt care less." should be stated. You see, if one truly can care no more one cannot care less but if there is even an iota of care left then "I could care less." might be OK...iffy though.
Thanks for your patience and efforts to correct the problem and please remember that your science projects are due on the 23rd. No more "experiments" involving Diet Coke(TM) and Mentos(TM) will be accepted. The custodians are fed up with replacing stained ceiling panels!
Also, the cafeteria manager would appreciate the return of the pickle slicer since no one can slice those pickles so neatly as can that young lady.
I'll see you all at the pep rally!

Go Warthogs! Beat the Scapegoats!

Lancer6
Lancer6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.