Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-03-10, 12:36 PM   #1
woody
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Hotter NGK Spark Plugs

Well, with the new boating year upon us, it was time for me to install a new set of spark plugs in my Yamaha150.

Earlier this month I pulled my old plugs for a visual inspection and noticed that my old Autolite plugs had some "black deposit buildup", leading me to believe that these plug were not burning properly and not hot enough for my motor's setup.

Following a boat mechanic's recommendation, I went with a standard set of NGK spark plugs that were one number hotter in hopes that this would correct my motor's lack of combustion.

Well here are my results: With the muffs on, the first thing that I noticed was how much easier my cold motor was to start. The motor fired on the second try and "warmed up" much much quicker. The sound of the motor at idle with the "muffs on" was music to my ears.

My boat's response on the water was very noticeable, compared to the boat's performance with the colder autolite plugs.

Final inspection of the new plugs showed no sign of the "black build up" previously found on my old Autolite plugs. This time the plug's electrode and tip showed the brownish bronze color, or perfect combustion.

I do plan to inspect my new plugs on occasion for continued proper combustion. Of note: if the electrode and tip turn a "white color" the plugs are too hot and can possible burn a hole through your pistons. SO BE ADVISED AND BE CAREFUL WHEN INSTALLING HOTTER PLUGS.

-Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.