Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-26-10, 10:56 PM   #1
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Performed a PET

Today, my dad and I took the new boat out to perform a PET. For all you uneducated cretins, that's a "Performance Evaluation Test." With little to no gear, two people, full livewells, and a 19p prop, she jumps up on plane quick. I was very impressed with that. Top speed according to Dad's GPS was 59.8 mph. If I'd trimmed up a little more, I probably could've gotten another couple mph, but I was already turning at 6100 rpm, so I left it alone. Next time, I'll probably have the spare 25p prop on her, and try that. Hole shot will suffer, I know, but Bama and I are betting I'll get mid-to-upper 60's on the top end.
I've never driven a fast boat like this before, so it was definitely a learning experience for me. We just cruised around for 15 minutes or so, while I played with the trim. It's crazy how just a little tap on the trim to raise it just a little will cause the boat to handle completely different. One second it's too high, causing us to porpoise, then *bump*, and it's smooth sailing again. And on the speed run, I got at least 7-8 mph more by raising the trim up just a little. I knew that trim affected speed and all, but I didn't know that little of an adjustment causes that much of an effect.
On the same note, I measured the prop-to-pad distance, kinda roughly, and it's about 4 1/2 inches below pad. Is this about right, should I be higher/lower....?
Launching was easy, but taking out was a little difficult, mainly because I told Dad to stop too soon, leaving too much of the bunks out of the water. Next time should be a piece of cake, though.
Oh, crap...I just jinxed myself...

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.