Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-07-10, 09:33 AM   #1
HarveysMinnow
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Do Rods fatigue as they age ?

Some interesting comments and opinions resulted from my previous post on "Casting Mechanics". On the rod sensitivity issue, let me just say that I really have no quarrel with rod sensitivity, as long as I don't have to pay extra for it. I just think the rod manufacturers have been 'overhyping' it to some extent, but who can blame them in these troubled economic times? They have to do something to continue selling new rods.

The thought of new rods led me to other questions: Do any of you feel that your older rods have grown less sensitive with age? Do you ever buy a replacement rod for one of your old favorites, just because the rod is old but in otherwise good condition?

I cannot detect any real difference in my older rods, but I have no means of testing them to get any sort of numerical measure of "flex resistance" or other critical rod properties. (I'm not sure if thinking "I've caught more fish on this rod than any other" qualifies as a critical property.) I do know that some polymeric materials tend to degrade or fatigue with age, exposure to sunlight, vibrations, and other adverse conditions. So I would enjoy reading your comments on this.

(In other words, Engineers, it's your turn to shine.)

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.