Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-16-10, 11:01 AM   #1
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144
Default Browning Fishing Pliers Review

Browning Fishing Pliers Review

Make: Browning
Model: Long Nose Fishing Pliers
Price: $49.99

While I’ve been bass fishing for only 3 years, I’ve been fishing most of my life. And throughout that time, I’ve had my fair share of rusted up pliers. About a year after I got into bass fishing, I realized it’s going to be much cheaper in the long run to buy a decent pair of pliers than to keep buying cheaper regular needle nose pliers.

I got the Browning Pliers on sale for almost 50% off two years ago at BPS’s Spring Classic, and have been using them since then.

Features: For 50 dollars, you get a pair of pliers (needle nose or regular), a nylon sheath, and lanyard. The sheath features a Velcro strap to hold the pliers in, and a metal clip for attaching them to your belt or pants. A lot of the time, I clip them on the outside of my pocket if I don’t have a belt on.

The pliers themselves are stainless steel with a titanium coating. They feature replaceable Tungsten alloy cutters ($4.99 for replacement blades), and rubberized grips for superior leverage, even when wet. The pliers’ handles are spring loaded to keep them open so you don’t have to fumble around trying to get them open when using them. The stainless steel construction does make then hefty pliers at a weight of 10.4 oz. One thing is for sure, they don’t feel cheap.

Performance: The spring loaded handles really help when trying to get the pliers into a fish’s mouth or on a hook. I’ve never once had a problem with the grips becoming slippery, even when wet or covered in fish slime.

One downside to the pliers is the ends are fairly large, so using them for small-mouthed fish or tiny hooks is out of the question.

The Tungsten alloy cutters are placed on the side of the pliers, and not in the jaw. I find this is a love/hate thing. Some people will love the position of them, while others will hate it. The cutters are designed to cut braid and will work for braid, mono, and fluoro. I’ve had no problems cutting up to 20lb mono and 50lb braid. After two years, they don’t cut as good as they did new, but they still cut much better than a standard pair of pliers. I can see possibly getting a new pair of the replaceable tungsten cutters this winter.

Durability: So far I’ve had no serious problems at with the durability of the pliers. They still open and close smoothly, and I haven’t oiled them once. I have seen a few very small rust or tarnish spots on the pliers, but nothing that effects them in any way other than their looks.

The only other issue I’ve had, which isn’t even with the pliers, is the Velcro strap on the sheath is starting to fray.

Conclusion: These are great pair of pliers that I can see lasting me more than 10 years. This is a good investment, and if you don’t have a pair of good fishing pliers, I’d highly suggest getting a pair. Or more specifically, I’d suggest getting a pair of these.

BB

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.