Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-27-10, 06:39 PM   #1
BassNewbie
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Buying first Baitcaster. Some Questions?

Hey guys,

Well heres the deal. I dont have alot of money right now, but I want to get a baitcaster to learn on. Im fully expecting to buy something better when my work starts approving over-time again.

So for now I think im going to get this : http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...285&hasJS=true

Its cheap, got some pretty good reviews, and I think it will work for me to learn on and beatup before I buy something more expensive.

Now heres the questions.

1. I have a pretty good spinning reel setup already. So since now Ill have a baitcaster as well. What would be a good setup strategy? Should I use the spincaster for mostly finesse plastics, and the baitcaster for cranks/spinners/swimbaits?

2. Looking at size for the baitcaster. Whats the real deal with getting a 6'8'' vs a 7''. I dont have a boat, so im fishing from shore. Would it make that big a difference.

3. I know this is kinda of "forbidden" by some. But im used to spinning reels. So i plan to buy a left-handed baitcaster, and fish it casting with right hand, reeling with left hand. Call me nuts, but it just seem to feel much more natural to me. Any big problems that might come up from doing that?

Thanks for the help gents.
BassNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.