Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-23-10, 07:29 PM   #1
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default What reels do use?

I would like to see a list of all the bass fishing reels each of you currently use. If some of them are identical, how many of each do you have? Please include what you primarily use each reel for and what your impresions are of how well each reel works for you. List any pro's and con's of the reels also.
My personal colection includes seven, 2010 revo stx reels, one pre 2010 revo SX, one calcutta 250.

I use the 7.1.1 stx reels for jigs and plastics. I love the dual brakes this reel has and they work great for casting or pitching anything over a 1/4 oz.

I use the 6.4.1 stx reels for spinner baits, topwater, traps and cranks that I want to run fast. Again, the dual brakes help to fine tune these reels for any situation, but the reel strugles to cast very light baits.

The one SX has been customized with a 5.4.1 gear set from a revo winch. I use this reel for all small to medium diving crank baits and some large baits. The mag only brakes on this reel work great for these bigger baits, but the mag only system can be difficult to use for smaller , lighter baits. I love the 5.4.1 speed for most cranks but I feel that it's still a bit fast for the biggest baits such as DD 22's

I now have added a Calcutta 250 that I customized by adding boca OS 7 hybrids, carbon fiber drags and the gears from a Curado B 3.8 reel. The 3.8.1 speed is rediculously slow but thats what works great for me in the biggest cranks. It's imposible for me to crank this reel to fast as I have always done before. I just can't force myself to slow down so I will now use a super slow reel that does it for me. I also plan to use this reel for slow rolling spinner baits when I want them to run deep and just fast enough to turn the blades.

All of my reels have greased carbon fiber drags, and the Calcutta is the only reel currently using custom bearings.

The only thing missing from my arsenal is a reel dedicated to very light baits. Traditionaly, I would use spinning reels for those baits but more and more I'm considering getting some casting reels setup for 1/8 oz baits, I just have not decided which reel to use for that. I can customize any reel with super fast bearings and that will help with light baits, but what you really need is a small, super light spool.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.