Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-11-12, 11:05 PM   #1
slounch_slayer
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Prespawn Reservoir Fishing

I fish a fairly deep, fairly clear reservoir. Average depth is about 75 feet and water temps are around 55 degrees as of present. Aquatic vegetation is nonexistent. I'm fairly new to lake fishing on my own since I just purchased my first boat and was wondering what the best approach would be for a successful day out on the water. I understand that in prespawn bass are looking to stage for the spawn on points, breaks, and whatever structure lies between their wintering hole and their spawning grounds, but there's lots of holes in my train of thought on just how exactly they do it. Do they travel a long distance from wintering holes to spawning grounds? Should I be focusing deep or shallow? How do they relate to channels if the main lake channel break ranges from 80-100 feet deep and the creek channel breaks range from 60-80 feet deep? Should I still focus on places where there is bends in the channel or points that drop into the channel if the breaks are that deep?

My plan is to start fishing the points on the creek mouths and work my way back fishing likely (to my knowledge anyways) prespawn staging areas until I find fish. Is there a more logical method? Will the fish be schooled up or scattered out for the most part?
slounch_slayer is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.