Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-15-12, 12:01 PM   #1
IAFrogger
BassFishin.Com Member

Default First outing strategies & recommendations?

Hey Guys,..... weather here in Iowa has been unbelievable for the past couple of weeks. We are just now into a 4 day stretch of highs in mid 70's with nightly lows in mid 50's. This is almost 30 degrees above normal for this time of year. Ice has been off most of the lakes now for approx. 10 days or more. Forecast is calling for 80 degrees tomorrow and mid 70's for the next 5 days..... my day off is on Mondays.

I generally don't even think of getting my boat on the water before mid to late April due to ice coverage and then very cold water. But due to the unseasonably warm weather I am scrambling this weekend to get my gear ready and make a trip out next Monday the 19th. Planning on trying to make most of a day of it. I do not know the current surface water temps but I am guessing it should be at least in the mid 40's or possibly slightly higher.

Forecast is for partly cloudy skies and highs in mid to upper 70's by Monday. Winds out of south at 15mph with gusts up to 30mph. There are two lake choices in my area that I am trying to decide between. The smaller lake is 400 acres and the larger 800 acres. We have had very little precipitation for the past month so I am anticipating both lakes to be quite clear to very lightly stained.

I am thinking lipless crankbaits, suspended jerkbaits, maybe a few shallow squarebills near cover, and possibly a football jig probing creek channels if the bite is slow on the other techniques..... Am I thinking along the right lines here? ..... anyone have any other suggestions, and or thoughts?

Sorry for such a long post.....
IAFrogger is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.