Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-06, 04:46 PM   #26
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I put in my boat for the first time ever and was by myself last fall. There was nobody waiting to go in so that was not a problem, I just waited for the guys coming out. The ramp is at the end of a long, skinny channel. I got my boat in and pushed it off to the side, parked the truck, and walked over and got in my boat. Meanwhile some older guy was coming in the channel and I am not that familiar with the way my boat handles so decided to wait in my boat so he could pass. When he got close to me he asked me if I was going to power load. I told him no, I was using a rope and then the winch. Then he asked me the same thing again in a nasty tone, I told him the same thing again. Then he started talking "to himself" about A.H. fishermen.
In the Michigan fishing rules there is a specific section dealing with "Angler's Rights" and when I read it I thought that it would never be an issue, but after this I realize why they made it.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-06, 07:06 PM   #27
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

need something like that here..

zooker
Old 01-17-06, 10:36 AM   #28
Bender

Quote from the MI DNR site:
Harassment
Anglers in Michigan have the right to enjoy their sport free from unreasonable and deliberate
interference. Michigan law prohibits individuals from obstructing or interfering with the lawful taking of
aquatic species. The DNR supports fishing as a legitimate form of recreation and as a useful tool in
the management of aquatic resources. Michigan Conservation Officers are committed to protecting
anglers from the intentional disruption of the fishing experience. Individuals whose fishing is being
obstructed should promptly report the violation to the DNR by calling a local Conservation Officer, the
nearest DNR office (see Directory, p.24) or toll free 800-292-7800 (RAP hotline).
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-06, 06:29 PM   #29
zooker

bender that is called the" bunny hugger" law. they have the same type thing in alot of hunting regulations. it means that if a group of anti fisherman -in this case- can NOT block the public from entering or exiting a public boat ramp. they can protest -this is there right by law-just not stop you from launching/loading your boat. also they can not interfear with any compation-tourny weigh in's- this is the intentional disruption of fishing activity's part of that law..
now the state or county or the owners of any said water way can close the public ramp if public safty is a concern-such as when the water is REAL low.

sure let them protest till there blue in the face. i still am going fishin weather they -or any body else for that matter- likes it or not..

zooker
Old 01-17-06, 08:05 PM   #30
onlyculprits
BassFishin.Com Member

On numerous occasions I've had golfers aim at me when I'm fishing golf course ponds. I still fish them, but go just before dusk. The fishing is better and the golfers all seem to quit early.

Non-bass related but when I used to catch dolphin (mahi-mahi) offshore of Fort Lauderdale, I once had a boatload of drunken jealous fisherman pull close to me while I was in the middle of a school. First they threw their garbage at me, then when they ran out of trash, they threw full beer cans. The smell of beer and dolphin blood in the Florida sun is memorable. I hid behind the console till they quit throwing then took the intelligent choice, ran like a coward.

definition of manatee - tree huggers' darling, also an effective speed bump in crowded waters.
onlyculprits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-06, 08:42 PM   #31
WTL

What a waste of good beer!
Old 01-18-06, 07:16 AM   #32
1FASTLASER

The best or worst I ever had was from a jet ski. Lake Wallenpaupack in pa. fishing a cast away from a bank and this person decides to buzz us not once but several times bewteen us and the bank. We proceded to explain the perils of doing such a dangerous act and then we showed him one of the perils when I stepped outta the boat onto the bank that we had been fishing. He pulled up as well stepped off of the ski and after a very short lesson in one of the perils off doing such a deed he idled away.
Old 01-18-06, 08:46 AM   #33
basstech
BassFishin.Com Active Member

These stories astound me. I've never have so much gotten in a shouting match on the water or elsewhere when fishing. I've had some inexperienced boaters do some really stupid things, but it was obvious they were out for one of the first times in their boat and after I got by them they kind of realized what they had done so there was no point in starting an altercation. The one or two times a jet skier has "buzzed" me they saw the size of the Zara Spook on the rod I picked up as I proceeded to make a false cast in thier direction and promptly left. I won't do that unless they are coming with in 20 ft. of me between the bank and shore. Maybe it's the location, but I've heard similar stories as what's been posted here from other missouri anglers. Maybe I just don't fish enough.
Old 01-18-06, 11:19 AM   #34
Patrick Krueger, Jr.
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I've found that a vast majority of anglers are great people. I've met countless kind and jovial people while on the water. Some insist that you try their lure or area. Some rush over to admire your fish with you and congratulate you . One older guy from Czechoslovakia jumped in Lake Michigan to land a 42 in. northern pike I had on because nobady had a net. We were both photographed with it and featured in Midwest Outdoors magazine. I guess unsportsmanlike anglers are so unusual that it makes them really "stick in my craw" (as my granny likes to say).
Old 01-18-06, 11:44 AM   #35
Roppen Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Krueger, Jr.
I've found that a vast majority of anglers are great people. I've met countless kind and jovial people while on the water. Some insist that you try their lure or area. Some rush over to admire your fish with you and congratulate you . One older guy from Czechoslovakia jumped in Lake Michigan to land a 42 in. northern pike I had on because nobady had a net. We were both photographed with it and featured in Midwest Outdoors magazine. I guess unsportsmanlike anglers are so unusual that it makes them really "stick in my craw" (as my granny likes to say).
Good boy! Yuo sho changed yuo attitude since yesterday. You listen to you granny boy. She know what she talkin about.
Old 01-18-06, 11:51 AM   #36
Patrick Krueger, Jr.
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

My granny is a sweetheart, but she believes that released fish will refuse to eat again and eventually die.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.