Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-21-09, 10:17 AM   #751
WaffleJaw
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
I think I missed that one. No way either Van Halen or Gossard is better than Hendrix. I think both guitarists would even concede that. Van Halen might have been quicker, but several guitarists have been faster, that doesnt make them better (do a youtube search on Ygnewie Malmsteen).

PS, Stairway to Heaven is Led Zeppelin and couldnt have been covered by Hendrix as he was dead by the time it was written.

The reason I say Gossard was better than both is because his playing actually makes my hair stand up.Especially the solo in ''Alive''.
Thats just my opinion since Hendrix could never do that.
I think Hendrix is overrated to an extent.I dont think he was that well-rounded.There are a ton of gutarist out there that are technically sharper,not faster or anything (speed doesnt equal great as you stated and your completey right)but they command the guitar better,and have a broader harmonic understanding, sense of playability,and adapting many different styles.(Hendrix only adapted a few,but in another argument is still more than most)
Look around at how many young students can play ''Voodoo Child'' ''All Along the Watchtower'' ''Hey Joe'' probably his entire discography...You think that same student could turn around and learn John Petrucci's technical/progressive guitar work in Dream Theater's Metropolis - Part I?
Now was he an innovator?..Absolutely!..I take nothing away from him and I will say he deserves that respect...Incorporating Jazz/Blues/Rock together and not to mention a great song writer.
I just think compared to today standards Hendrix doesnt take first..He cast a big shadow that alot of people have a hard time getting out of.He did great things in his day,and he did revolutionize/innovate the guitar.
But so did.
Pete Townshend
Les Paul
Robert Fripp
Keith Richards
Chuck Berry
Zappa
Tom Morello
John Petrucci
Just to name a few...All Innovators and staples in there own way ,and that is why the greatest guitarist could never be crowned...Because when it comes to skill,Hendrix was adequate.What he did was put his soul into the music...and that is what makes him great.

Last edited by WaffleJaw; 10-21-09 at 10:33 AM.
WaffleJaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-09, 04:43 PM   #752
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

That was a reasonable post. I can't argue with the feeling you get when you hear Pearl Jam, and agree that Gossard and McCready dont ever get the credit they deserves in the "greatest guitarist" debates.

But I will point out that ironically, Pearl Jam were very much influenced by Hendrix. Compare Yellow Ledbetter to Little Wing. From the wiki article on Yellow Ledbetter
Quote:
Origin and recording

"Yellow Ledbetter" was a Ten outtake and one of the first songs Pearl Jam wrote as a group.[2] The song features lyrics written by vocalist Eddie Vedder and music co-written by bassist Jeff Ament and guitarist Mike McCready.[3] McCready's guitar play on "Yellow Ledbetter" bears strong similarities to the guitar style of Jimi Hendrix with the mimicking of Hendrix's "May This Be Love" from the 1967 album, Are You Experienced, and "Little Wing" from the 1967 album, Axis: Bold as Love. The version of "Yellow Ledbetter" that was eventually released was the second take of the song.[4] McCready on the song:
That was written around the time of the first record [1991's Ten]. I think that was the second thing Ed and I wrote together. It came out of a jam in the studio and Ed didn't really have any lyrics. He came up with some ideas right there on the spot, and that's what we recorded. For some reason, it didn't make it on Ten. I was kind of bummed at the time. I really wanted it to be on our first record. But at the time, I was really young and just happy to be around this situation, so I did whatever.[5]
[edit] Composition

"Yellow Ledbetter" is based on a I-V-IV chord progression in the key of E major. McCready plays his Stratocaster on the track in the style of Jimi Hendrix, incorporating hammer-ons and pull-offs into the subtle chord work. He makes expressive use of the guitar's whammy bar during the solo, bending notes to create a vacuum-like sound.
Also look at the Wiki entry on "Alive". These are songs that in some ways branch out on what Hendrix started. One guy does something new on guitar, and other guys interpret that. Thats been going on for forever. But Hendrix started so much of what has been done since, he deserves the extra boost in credibility imo. I mean, the guy only produced music for 3 years, and in that 3 years had more of an impact than any guy I can think of in relation to any instrument. In fact he has become so much the consensus "guy" that I think there is a tendency to be a contrarian and say "well Clapton was as good" or Townsend, Paige, Van Halen and I think in this case, the simple answer is, Hendrix was spectacular, every bit as good as people have said primarily because his songs were so well constructed and the impact they had on rock music in demonstrable ways. Its not about difficulty, although he was a gifted player. Its about the shadow that Hendrix casts, perhaps the very thing you complain about.

One last thing; Very often when listening to a juicy track, say Alive or Fade to Black or Soma or even Jumping Jack Flash, I will be thinking to myself as the track is going "man this guy ___ is the greatest ever" That, Sir, is rock music.

Last edited by WTL; 10-21-09 at 04:50 PM.
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-09, 04:57 PM   #753
WTL

Actually, one more thing.

I think Pearl Jam, had they been around during the classic era of great rock bands (1967-1979ish), they would be considered among the very best. They definitly belong with the Stones, Who, Beatles, Hendrix, Cream and Led Zeppelin. I remember watching the end of VH1 Rock Honors The Who, and after PJ played "Love Reign on Me" and "The Real Me", Townshend and Daltry came out and you could tell in their remarks when they thanked Pearl Jam that they felt they could never outdo what Vedder and the boys just had done.
Old 10-22-09, 10:23 AM   #754
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
That was a reasonable post. I can't argue with the feeling you get when you hear Pearl Jam, and agree that Gossard and McCready dont ever get the credit they deserves in the "greatest guitarist" debates.

But I will point out that ironically, Pearl Jam were very much influenced by Hendrix. Compare Yellow Ledbetter to Little Wing. From the wiki article on Yellow Ledbetter

Also look at the Wiki entry on "Alive". These are songs that in some ways branch out on what Hendrix started. One guy does something new on guitar, and other guys interpret that. Thats been going on for forever. But Hendrix started so much of what has been done since, he deserves the extra boost in credibility imo. I mean, the guy only produced music for 3 years, and in that 3 years had more of an impact than any guy I can think of in relation to any instrument. In fact he has become so much the consensus "guy" that I think there is a tendency to be a contrarian and say "well Clapton was as good" or Townsend, Paige, Van Halen and I think in this case, the simple answer is, Hendrix was spectacular, every bit as good as people have said primarily because his songs were so well constructed and the impact they had on rock music in demonstrable ways. Its not about difficulty, although he was a gifted player. Its about the shadow that Hendrix casts, perhaps the very thing you complain about.

One last thing; Very often when listening to a juicy track, say Alive or Fade to Black or Soma or even Jumping Jack Flash, I will be thinking to myself as the track is going "man this guy ___ is the greatest ever" That, Sir, is rock music.
Yea I cant deny the Jimi influence in Ledbetter...Even the guitar tone sounds like his...I really think Jimi was an outstanding guitar player,dont get me wrong...Just not as iconic as so many people make him out to be....And I know he's rank in the top 3 any where you look.
And your right,its never about the diffculty..Some of the most powerful songs to me have the simplest riffs...But when people are shoving Jimi Hendrix down my throat as the ''greatest guitar player ever'' ....I just simply disagree...I think Don Ross deserves a spot in the top 20(at least),but Rolling Stones wouldnt ever look his way becuase he only plays acoustic,and only plays purely instrumental.(is that fair?)No band,just him,and he can play harmony,rhythm,and melodies all at once...He actually just came out with an album with one of my all time favorite bassist, Michael Manring (sorry Im a little excited bout that,lol)
I guess my biggest grip (in a nut shell) is people constantly trying to name the greatest guitarist,which to me,will never be possible...I have absolutely nothing against Hendrix,I just think there are alot of guys above or on his level...but in different ways.
The funny thing ,to me, is that most ''session players'' are probably the most advanced musicians on the planet,both in writing and playing....They make a great living,but we will never even know thier names.

Thats what love about music is how we all hear it differently...Sometimes you catch the emotion/message in a song,roll up the windows and sing your heart out....other times you change the station....Like Godsmack's ''whiskey hangover''...that song is just awful,lol

Last edited by WaffleJaw; 10-22-09 at 10:35 AM.
WaffleJaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-09, 09:59 PM   #755
BassinBandit
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Being Drunks a lot like loving you - Kenny Chesney
Old 10-24-09, 11:23 AM   #756
Bassboss

Van Halen - Dreams
Van Halen - Panama
Van Halen - Dance the night away
Old 10-29-09, 06:01 PM   #757
Bassboss

Surrender the dance floor - Just dance

Old 10-29-09, 07:12 PM   #758
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Bad Girlfriend - Theory of a Deadman

Turn the Page - Bob Segar

Rusty Cage - Soundgarden

One - Metallica

Lit Up - Buckcherry

BB
Old 10-29-09, 08:12 PM   #759
BassinBandit

Please come to Boston (Live) - Kenny Chesney
Old 10-30-09, 04:38 AM   #760
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Ozzy - Shot in the Dark
Old 10-30-09, 06:26 PM   #761
BassinBandit

Gettin' You Home - Chris Young
Old 11-01-09, 03:11 AM   #762
Bubba_Bruiser

Hit Em Up - Tupac
Old 11-01-09, 08:09 AM   #763
zooker

here is and oldie.
i dug out an 8track and got it to upload the instant classic by authur brown.song is "fire"

zooker
Old 11-01-09, 09:25 PM   #764
danielbasspro

Hank Williams
Old 11-02-09, 04:07 PM   #765
rodnreel

Thousand Foot Krutch....Rawkfist
Old 11-07-09, 10:42 AM   #766
Bassboss

A true classic!

Don McLean - American Pie
Old 11-07-09, 11:16 PM   #767
bamabassman

<<<<< listening to ............................. RAMMER JAMMER! YEA ALABAMA!
Old 11-08-09, 02:43 AM   #768
Bubba_Bruiser

City Lights - Aldo Nova
Old 11-08-09, 11:28 PM   #769
WTL

Actually, I just listened to Roxette. Anyone remember them? Late 80s/early 90s pop-rock. Wrote some good songs though. Makes me thing of heading to wheeler in my dads pickup when I was young.
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-09, 10:50 AM   #770
Bender

^ You got the look.

NPR all day for me as usual. News, interviews, stories, a mix of different shows.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-09, 05:18 PM   #771
jmartin

Miranda Lambert. I love her http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYikTLviuZY
Old 11-10-09, 08:55 AM   #772
Bassboss

Don McLean - American Pie!
Old 11-10-09, 11:01 PM   #773
Bender

Patterns - Sky Eats Airplane
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-09, 12:54 PM   #774
Bassboss

Van Hallen - Pretty Woman

Sneeking a few songs during my "computer programing class!"
Old 11-23-09, 09:37 PM   #775
MrPhotographer06

Send a message via AIM to MrPhotographer06

Red Dirt Road- Brooks and Dunn.

And i listen to music all the time in my classes that deal have computers.

since i'm the IT, they cant do anything

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.