Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-09, 09:10 AM   #1
Tennessee
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Pros and Cons

In line fuel filters

My motor is 1994 Johnson Fast strike

I was told I needed one..and what they said makes sense then..I hear same breath about how it's not that great they can hurt your motor????

what do you think ???

Later Will
Tennessee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-09, 04:46 PM   #2
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

inline fuel filters wont hurt you moter they protect it from eating rust and crud..
a water seperator is like a oil filter looking thing it removes the water from the fuel.. this is VERY important if you are in a e-85 area.. a $6 in line filter saves you from spending $3500.. we aint rocket scientist but umm i think you get the idea..

the water sperator is NOT a inline FUEL filter it removes water from the fuel. if you are in an e-85 area you definatly need a 10 micron unit..

zooker
Old 03-09-09, 10:13 PM   #3
Tennessee

Default Well

I will get that done then thanks for the info !!!
Tennessee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-09, 08:58 AM   #4
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Plain simple truth............THERE AINT NO CONS.....I cant put it any simpler........Todays fuel DEMANDS filters and seperators. Like zook said ifn ya dont run the 2 you are risking blowing a powerhead ANYTIME you crank the engine. THAT SIMPLE!
Old 03-12-09, 01:49 PM   #5
OrygunBasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
this is VERY important if you are in a e-85 area..
E-10 is the most Ethanol you can run in an outboard! Use only marine filters, car filters are not a good choice!
Old 03-12-09, 05:42 PM   #6
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

ory
the e-85 is slowly creepin east like a plague. it is being debated alot on boating forums all across the US.. everything from ifish.com to the moterhead sites. everyone seems to agree a 10 micron filter. but they are still trying to come up with a simple combo change out.. some say it is a carb setting others are saying a spark plug change..

me i am confused as to what to do about it.over than not burn it at all..

e-10 is what we all are currantly burning in unleaded gas. the straight up e-85 is coming.. the tree humpers have forced oregon to change to all e-85 back in septmember/october..i hear idaho is looking to go "green" before next fall...

zooker
Old 03-12-09, 06:10 PM   #7
OrygunBasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
e-10 is what we all are currantly burning in unleaded gas. the straight up e-85 is coming.. the tree humpers have forced oregon to change to all e-85 back in septmember/october..i hear idaho is looking to go "green" before next fall...

zooker
No, No, No, We were mandated to use E-10, not E-85. E-85 will not run in a normal automobile without majior modifications. We can't even hardly find an E-85 station anywhere in Oregon except in a couple of the big cities! You are somewhat confused!!!

Last edited by OrygunBasser; 03-12-09 at 06:22 PM.
OrygunBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-09, 07:44 AM   #8
northALbassin
BassFishin.Com Member

my dad has the same year model stratos and motor(has been awesome since the first day) and has replaced the fuel filter on his also. more than once actually, like a preventetive maintenance thing, so i guess im just saying what everyone else, just do it. cheap gas is cheap, but the motor aint.
northALbassin is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.