Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-11, 05:31 PM   #1
Mumpy
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Old Used Crankbaits

Does it matter that the Lip/Bill isn't clear anymore? Does it matter that the Crankbait would have a rust spot on the side of it?

Little bit about myself. Back in 1994 time Frame I did some Local Tournament Fishing, was getting into it pretty good. Back then I bought a lot of Crankbaits. Well, I got stationed in Alaska and left my Boat and Tackle with my Dad.

He didn't take too good of care of my Crankbaits, so yea, I know I need to replace the Hooks on them. But does it matter that the sides of them have blemishes and the Lips on them are like a whitish color now instead of Clear?

I would rather not purchase them new again if I didn't have too.
Old 06-24-11, 05:44 PM   #2
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

If you clean them up and replace the hooks, they should be fine. I've seen live minnows with fungus marks on them, lol Heck, they might perform better now. Who knows. I'd certainly give it a try. Good cranks arn't cheep!
Old 06-24-11, 07:32 PM   #3
Marty
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I don't think it'll make a difference as long as the baits still have their action. I (and many others) have used lures that have had half their finish removed due to rocks, pike teeth, etc., and it doesn't seem to affect their ability to draw strikes.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-11, 08:12 PM   #4
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
If you clean them up and replace the hooks, they should be fine. I've seen live minnows with fungus marks on them, lol Heck, they might perform better now. Who knows. I'd certainly give it a try. Good cranks arn't cheep!
x2. When it comes right down to it, I don't think fish care that much. The only thing I can think off were it could be a negative is fishing ULTRA clear water where the larger profile of the bait might turn off some fish.
Old 06-24-11, 09:19 PM   #5
carolina-rig-01

I think you should be good to go. I don't think the bill of your crankbaits not being clear anymore will change anything, and as for the blemishes on the sides............as long as the blemishes are cosmetic and don't change the action of the bait you should be fine.

Welcome to the site by the way!
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-11, 09:25 PM   #6
Jrob78

Welcome to the site!

Replace the hooks and split rings with good components and you should be good to go.
Old 06-24-11, 09:31 PM   #7
bamabassman

i got some cranks i ahve had for over 30 yrs. still good in my mind. got some rattle traps that have had the crap knocked outta them too, still use em. like everyone said, replace the hooks and such......throw em out there. they done been tested, they good to go pal.
Old 06-26-11, 01:35 PM   #8
3dkicker

Some of my best baits are the ones that are the most beat up. I'll agree that the action of the bait is the key to drawing strikes and not the color - a majority of the time. But when it does matter then you need a couple realistic baits.....

Either way we've got a couple guys on here who paint baits or know people who do so if you have a favorite that you'd like repainted let us know.
Old 06-27-11, 09:29 AM   #9
Mumpy
BassFishin.Com Active Member

First of all I want to thank everyone for the Warm Welcome to the Site, I am elated to be a part of this discussion board and I hope that one day I too can help someone catch a large bass! Secondly, Thank you for the replies. You definitely saved me some money. I replaced the hooks this weekend and can’t wait to give them a go this upcoming 4th of July weekend.
Old 06-29-11, 01:47 PM   #10
Raul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumpy View Post
Does it matter that the Lip/Bill isn't clear anymore? Does it matter that the Crankbait would have a rust spot on the side of it?
No and no, it bothers more to you than it bothers to the fish. The only thing that matters in an old bait are the condition of the hook hangers, split rings and hooks. Rusty hooks & split rings ---> trash.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.