Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-11, 09:11 PM   #26
Z-Man
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for all of the responses guys! I am already looking into a H fast rod and some 50 lb. braid. Probably power pro. I had an awesome weekend out fishing. Caught 4 2-2.5 lbs. on a 5'' senko. A pic of the biggest one will be my profile pic when I get the chance to put it up.
Old 07-04-11, 01:11 AM   #27
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-Man View Post
I wanted to start right and I figure you buy once... cry once. This is the best site I have found in the couple of months I have been looking. The popper is next on the list and so is that 7'6'' H with braid. *Threadjack* Now to figure out a reel to go with that new rod. Any ideas fellas? */Threadjack*

I love the curado E7 that I put on the MH. Maybe another one of those?
The e7 I think will be a great frog reel. I'd also look at a high speed revo. Revo's have the best drag in the industry, and are super strong which is a plus when you're froggin.
Old 07-04-11, 08:29 AM   #28
AUFred
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I have had the same issue. Never had that issue with the old Harrison Hogue frogs but the snagless type I can never seem to get a good hookset. Probably because I get too excited when the hits are so vicious.
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-11, 09:05 AM   #29
Dennis1022
BassFishin.Com Member

My favorite frog lure is the solid body, like mister twister frogs with paddle feet. I had used those hollow body frogs around lily pads and stick ups and they snag the very easy, of course mine was the older type that had real looking legs and feet not skirt legs. I feel it could be the reason that bass miss the bait because they go after the skirt and pull down the frog and suck it in more. But with a skirt there isn't much to grab. The line and rods and reels, I can't agree or disagree don't own one. I use what I have and I'm a fisherman that takes my chance and pray every time that the outing is going to be a good one. But a miss or a hit I'm on the water and enjoying what Great spirit ( God ) and Mother Earth has given me solitude and being one with nature.
Dennis1022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-11, 07:13 PM   #30
Bob Smith
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I fish a long (7' to 7' 6") medium heavy Graphite rod and a Revo S reel for the most part with 30# Power Pro Braid on lake Guntersville in the pads and I miss a few fish, but not a bunch. With the horny toad type baits (solid soft plastic) I simply watch the splash, raise my rod and wait till I see the line go off before I cross thier eyes. Floating frogs are a different game. I see the splash and (here's where I change my approach) I keep the rod down and take about a half turn to a turn on the reel to see if I feel the fish. All this happens quickly and you really have to train yourself to do that.
Old 07-05-11, 08:31 PM   #31
Z-Man
BassFishin.Com Member

Sweet! Thanks for the advice. You guys really make this a great site. Ive been fishing a bunch this last weekend. Hauled in probably 30 lbs worth of bass in two days. Time to buy some more gear... Down monkey! lol
Old 07-10-11, 03:16 PM   #32
waldershrek
BassFishin.Com Member

I just picked up a new frog/jig rod at Bass Pro last night. 6'6" MH rod with a 6.4:1 baitcast reel. Hopefully this increases my hook ups on frogs as well. Been having a hell of a time with them.
waldershrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-11, 03:48 PM   #33
Z-Man
BassFishin.Com Member

My new froggin rod is a 7'6'' HF crucial rod with a 7:1 revo and 50 lb braid. It works awesome!
Old 07-18-11, 01:38 PM   #34
3dkicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-Man View Post
Sweet! Thanks for the advice. You guys really make this a great site. Ive been fishing a bunch this last weekend. Hauled in probably 30 lbs worth of bass in two days. Time to buy some more gear... Down monkey! lol
You have to be careful. That monkey hangs out around here quite a bit..... Glad you got a combo that works for you.
Old 07-18-11, 03:28 PM   #35
Z-Man
BassFishin.Com Member

I added 2 more rods to my arsenal... damn monkey! I am picking up a 7' MH Crucial tonight for buzzbaits and my 7' M Crucial cranking rod is on its way. Now I need to find a Curado 201E5 and get a hold of a 201E7
Old 07-19-11, 01:34 PM   #36
3dkicker

Time to get you to a BMA meeting.......you're in deep!!!

BMA Step #1

1. We admit we were powerless to the Bait Monkey - that our lives have become unmanageable.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.