Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-09, 05:52 PM   #1
Nitro 640
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default How to start bait casting?

I have been fishing with spining reels since I first learned how to fish.
I get my bait where I need it but think I could be missing out on differen't rigs and lures and could work them better with a bait caster.
I guess what I looking in for is a great rod/reel combo to start with?
I also wonder what lures are best for a bait caster? I see some people use it for everything on others for just jigs?
Nitro 640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-09, 06:44 PM   #2
IS300n8
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to IS300n8

you can cast just about anything with a baitcast setup once you get used to it. but when your getting started i would stick to throwing fairly heavy stuff.. just do yourself a favor and buy a decent baitcast real it will save you alot of headaches and birdsnests
IS300n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-09, 07:41 PM   #3
Nitro 640

What would you recomend? Rod/reel combo. I have the new BPS catalog and looking to buy. Thought about the KVD Quantum combo.
What rod lenght and action? Looking to hit those heavy cover areas.

Thanks
Old 01-03-09, 08:56 PM   #4
quenston

Well IMO I would go with a Rick Clunn Reel and a med/hvy action 7' rod, I bought one Quantum KVD reel and used it one time and had nothing but problems, the rod brand is more for your taste, that is just my .02
quenston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-09, 09:18 PM   #5
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

in my opion the set up depends on your bank account. how much are you willing to spend, and if you get the expensive stuff and decide you don't like it, you may not get your money back. are you willing to do that? AND if you want to get a decent set up you can get one at wally world and not break the bank. you can get a good rod and reel for under 200 bucks. or under a 100 bucks. your choice. i have abu garcia reels and ligthing rods, abu rods and cherrywood rods, each set up is under 150 dollars.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-09, 09:24 PM   #6
ky southern

if your looking at bps be sure to not overlook the extreme combo,i have 6 of em and i really like em.the reels are great in my opinion and the rods are firstclass.
Old 01-03-09, 10:17 PM   #7
bcklash
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

The extreme rods are great and I have a buddy who loves extreme reels. I don't think you can go wrong with the extreme combos.
Old 01-03-09, 10:35 PM   #8
Nitro 640

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
in my opion the set up depends on your bank account. how much are you willing to spend, and if you get the expensive stuff and decide you don't like it, you may not get your money back. are you willing to do that? AND if you want to get a decent set up you can get one at wally world and not break the bank. you can get a good rod and reel for under 200 bucks. or under a 100 bucks. your choice. i have abu garcia reels and ligthing rods, abu rods and cherrywood rods, each set up is under 150 dollars.
I don't want to break the bank. I want a good first setup that will provide me with a reliable setup. I don't need anything first class like space age this and that ,just something that will work day after day and not break because it's cheap. Truth is I don't know what half the stuff is they are talking about with them since I have never used one.
Old 01-03-09, 10:37 PM   #9
bamabassman

how much are ya talking about?
Old 01-03-09, 10:50 PM   #10
Nitro 640

Would like to stay around $100 since it's a first for me, that is rod and pole.
I due understand I might need to spend more but would like to start with something lower in cost but not junk.
Old 01-03-09, 10:56 PM   #11
ky southern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro 640 View Post
I don't need anything first class like space age this and that ,just something that will work day after day and not break because it's cheap.

i would stay away from quantum then for sure,a bps rep told me that the kvd stuff is not the best reel on the market for the money.
Old 01-03-09, 10:58 PM   #12
bamabassman

ok, go to wall mart. look at their reels on the wall, there are some garcias, and pinacles. also look at their rods, ligthing rods are my favorite, but there are also the cherrywood, abu rods and the ugly sticks. various lengths too. find the set up YOU feel good about. then pick out your line. and you are all set pal. now if you want...you can look in the case at the counter. there are some better reels there. more money too,lmao.
Old 01-03-09, 10:59 PM   #13
bamabassman

oh yeah, the rods are from 21 to 41 bucks each. reels start around 40 to 60 on the wall. case reels are from 90 to over a 100 bucks.
Old 01-03-09, 11:07 PM   #14
Nitro 640

Quote:
ok, go to wall mart. look at their reels on the wall, there are some garcias, and pinacles. also look at their rods, ligthing rods are my favorite, but there are also the cherrywood, abu rods and the ugly sticks. various lengths too. find the set up YOU feel good about. then pick out your line. and you are all set pal. now if you want...you can look in the case at the counter. there are some better reels there. more money too,lmao.
Thanks for the help.
For rod lenght what is a good starting point? I use 6 footers now and tend to dislike the 7 or above. Is a 6 footer going to take away from anything?
Old 01-03-09, 11:07 PM   #15
woody
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

And Diawa offers rod and reel combos for under $100, Diawa Samurai Rod 6'6" MH and Mag Force reel, I've had mine for 3 yrs. and are still going strong.
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-09, 11:25 PM   #16
bamabassman

well, 6 footers won't cast as far as 6'6" ers will or 7 footers. i have all the above. different ones for different types of baits. but if YOU are comfy with 6 footers, by all means start with that. woody is correct as well. diawa is a good combo to start with. just depends on what YOU like. try one and see, WHICHEVER you want and trust. that is the key to a good set up in my opion. read what everyone likes and make up your own mind. you will not regret a baitcaster once you learn it. i personally HATE open faced reels. have only one in my boat. and use it for really light lures i can't (for some reason,lol) cast with a baitcaster.
Old 01-03-09, 11:31 PM   #17
Nitro 640

Thanks for all the help. I will look around at the local store and play around with the feel of the different brands and rods. I hope to get the whole casting and control down this spring before I get out on the boat. (Parnets have a 1 acre pond in their back yard)
Old 01-03-09, 11:35 PM   #18
bamabassman

good luck, and read the posts on setting breaks and magnets. it'll help ya a whole lot buddy.
Old 01-03-09, 11:36 PM   #19
bamabassman

oh yeah, remember this.... your thumb is your friend when baitcasting.
Old 01-03-09, 11:40 PM   #20
Nitro 640

Quote:
oh yeah, remember this.... your thumb is your friend when baitcasting.
Thanks,
I am looking at messing up fast so I can learn fast what not to do and real slow how to do it right. LOL
Old 01-03-09, 11:51 PM   #21
bamabassman

you'll learn it buddy. then you'll wonder why you ever went fishing without one, lol. again.. good luck!
Old 01-04-09, 12:06 AM   #22
Tennessee

Default I'm probly gonna get kicked in the head fo rthis

I would buy a Quantum tourney edition at wally-world usally 60-70 dollars an their annual sales is about to hit. this reel and rod ae not top notch but I have 3 and I have no problems with them. I have had 2 ofthem for over 2 years and no problems yet. Just an opinion

Later Will
Tennessee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-09, 12:13 AM   #23
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

For baitcasting, I'd spend a bit more than $100 for the combo. Maybe $200. Abu Garcia Revo S or SX, any daiwa reels in your price range. As for rods 6'6"-7' MH rod is a good all purpose rod. Brand is personal preference. I like flacon, shimano, fenwick, etc. The shimano compre is a great rod for the price. For learning baitcasting, go with mono line, cause I found it easier to learn on, and it's cheap if you get a really bad backlash and have to cut it out.

BB
Old 01-04-09, 12:15 AM   #24
Rebbasser

Nitro, welcome to the forum!

Whenever anybody asks this question I always give the same answer: Go someplace that sells them and handle a few to find out what feels right to you. That will give you a good idea of what to look for.

That said, the BPS Extreme combo is a very good value for the $. It is a great reel-I have several-as well as a good rod. BPS rods have a hump handle which I do not like so I don't use them, but they are a good quality rod.

If I had to choose one rod length/action I would get a 6'6" medium heavy rod. It will handle most applications and is the best overall length/action IMO.
Old 01-04-09, 12:34 AM   #25
Nitro 640

Again thanks for all the help everyone. I can say being a NB I am very happy that I have joined such a great group of people.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.