Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-11, 03:36 PM   #1
jiggin_it
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Reel regearing

Anyone ever replaced the gears in a pflueger reel to a lower ratio? if so where did you find the parts?
jiggin_it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-11, 04:40 PM   #2
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Yes, quite often. First you need to know if your reel was available in a lower ratio. If it was, you will need to look at the schematics to see if the gears are the only different parts. Sometimes, the steel drag plates, and drag disks wont fit the other sizes of gears without mods or being replaced. The pinion cradle that holds the pinion gear may also need replaced. You might be able to find the schematics at mikes reel repair site. You can call pure fishing and have them email you the schematics. You might be able to get the customer service person at pure fishing to look up the parts that need changed for you. Then order the parts from them. Here is the pfluger # at pure fishing
Pflueger® Customer Service
1900 18th Street
Spirit Lake, IA 51360
305 (800) 554-4653
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-11, 04:54 PM   #3
jiggin_it
BassFishin.Com Member

no the reel doesnt come in a lower gear ratio. is there any that would interchange? i have read that the bps pro qualifier gears interchange with the pflueger patriarch.
Old 01-20-11, 06:46 PM   #4
pro reel

There are some gears from other reels that will fit. I can't guarantee that they will, but they shoul. What you need depends on what gear ratio you are going to and what your skills are. Drag plates can be made smaller to fit in a smaller gear. You can use some smaller drag plates in a bigger reel, but they need to be close and the tabed ones need to be exact. It would be best to buy the drags assembly that fits the BPS reel you get the gears from. The other thing to look for is that the AR sleeve may not fit if the drag stack is a different height. You can adjust drag plates, add or remove spacers or get a different sleeve. You also just have to see if the pinion gear fits in your pinion cradle. If it doesn't, you can sometimes carve them out bigger or get the pinion cradle from the BPS reel. You can order the parts from BPS rod and reel at 417-873-5274
Old 01-20-11, 06:51 PM   #5
jiggin_it
BassFishin.Com Member

you lost me when you began the 3rd sentence. basically wat you just told me is either forget it or let someone else do it. from wat i have read it seems like the gear set just dropped right in with no adjustment needed. wat about quantum codes? any gears interchange with them?
Old 01-20-11, 09:13 PM   #6
pro reel

LOL, Sorry. I don't know of any that fit a Quantum code. The reason Pfluger reels and BPS reels can have some parts swap is that they, along with Abu reels are all from the parent company Pure fishing. Althought the reels are a little different, they share a lot of the same parts and many parts that are different are still the same size. Now the reason you can't just change gears is that they fit together with other parts that are sized to those gears. A 7.1.1 reel has a large main gear and a small pinion gear. The drag plates and disks for that gear set will not fit inside the main gear of a 5.1.1 reel, thtas why you either need to also get those parts or make yours fit by grinding them down. The other thing I talked about is the AR sleeve. It sits on top of the the top drag plate. Some are short and some are tall, it depends on how many drag washers are used and the thickness. If you use gears from a reel that has multiple drag washers and put that in a reel that uses a single washer, then the AR sleeve may need changed also. There is also the pinion cradle. It holds the pinion gear. Remeber, the pinion for a 7.1.1 reel is small, so the cradle for that gear will also be small, if you swap to 5.1.1 or even lower, it will be a big pinion and it will not fit in the small cradle.
Old 01-20-11, 09:49 PM   #7
jiggin_it
BassFishin.Com Member

Gotcha sounds like i need to find a local expert/repairman (not gonna happen) or just reel slower lol.
Old 01-20-11, 10:10 PM   #8
jiggin_it
BassFishin.Com Member

ok so i looked up the part numbers for the main and pinion gears for the summit. i googled the part number for the pinion and it came up at mike's reel repair listed for an abu garcia. the main gear on the other hand had the part number on the schematics but no description for it, needless to say nothing turned up for the part number when i googled it. since the pinion gear is the same part number for the pflueger as it is the abu would the abu kit that includes the main and pinion which mike's has listed in the same list at a lower ratio work for my summit?
Old 01-27-11, 12:43 AM   #9
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Nope, I just get a new reel. I haven't checked but I imagine the cost of the new gears and a new reel are pretty comparable.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.