Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-11, 01:21 PM   #1
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Drop shotters step inside.........

I know we have a few guys on here that like to drop shot and I was wondering if any of you have used this product? It looks like it would not only be an easier way to rig a drop shot but it would also cure to two biggest problems with the drop shot which are line twist and no getting the hook to stand out (which is also fixed by running the tag end of the line back through the eye of the hook before putting your weight on). Anyways any opinions from the drop shotting crowd?

carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-11, 01:27 PM   #2
Raul
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Well, you can preassemble several rigs, wrap them around a small piece of styrofoam and that way you won´t have to waste time doing all the knots n´stuff, just tie your knot to the swivel.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-11, 02:00 PM   #3
cassidyta

It may be a great thing, but not something that I will be looking to try.
To me, I think it is too bulky. I had seen it demonstrated and felt that it added to quick of a fall to the bait. I like to DS with a semi slack line and this look like it would make it more difficult.
Also, while the swivel is small, I think it is just another thing to get caught up in the rocks and weeds.
Old 07-01-11, 02:08 PM   #4
WaffleJaw

So does the weight line just ''clip'' into the bottom of the rig?...So if you hang up,you can pull it free and save the swivel?
Old 07-01-11, 02:10 PM   #5
rogatsby
BassFishin.Com Member

Drop shotting is just awesome. I'm no expert at crankbaits and the newer swimbaits, but I have fished soft plastics since I was a kid and drop shotting just works.

People sometimes refer to the drop shot as a "last ditch" technique when nothing else is working, but in my experience it just works. I can understand why it may be a last ditch move for tournament anglers because you can't cover much water with the drop shot. But for amateurs like me, I think the drop shot is a good first choice because it is just deadly.

In the reservoirs near where I live, I get great results even from the shore. A friend introduced me to what he calls the "big" drop shot, which is using a heavy 1 ounce sinker and a huge 10 inch Senko-like worm. You can cast this a mile, and instead of twitching it, we drag (not reel!) it slowly, stop, drag, and repeat. For the shore angler, it's about as fun as it gets.

Last edited by rogatsby; 07-01-11 at 02:14 PM. Reason: Typos
rogatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-11, 02:54 PM   #6
Raul

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffleJaw View Post
So does the weight line just ''clip'' into the bottom of the rig?...So if you hang up,you can pull it free and save the swivel?
Yup, in theory the only thing you loose is the sinker and not the entire rig .... yeah, right.
Old 07-01-11, 02:59 PM   #7
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul View Post
Yup, in theory the only thing you loose is the sinker and not the entire rig .... yeah, right.
Kinda like pulling on a wishbone....I always lose.
Old 07-01-11, 04:20 PM   #8
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul View Post
Well, you can preassemble several rigs, wrap them around a small piece of styrofoam and that way you won´t have to waste time doing all the knots n´stuff, just tie your knot to the swivel.
This is true, I do the same thing with carolina rigs. But I wasn't really considering it as a time saving idea. I know a lot of people already use a swivel on their dropshots and I thought if that's the case then this would take one more knot out of the equation. I know Cassidyta and I have talked before about drop shotting and he uses braid as a main line and then a flourocarbon leader which I never even considered but have to admit that it is a good idea. In the case of using braid and a leader then this won't be much of a benefit since you still need a leader knot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidyta View Post
To me, I think it is too bulky. I had seen it demonstrated and felt that it added to quick of a fall to the bait. I like to DS with a semi slack line and this look like it would make it more difficult.
Also, while the swivel is small, I think it is just another thing to get caught up in the rocks and weeds.
I agree that if casting or fishing a dropshot on the bottom this would prevent you from fishing on a semi slack line. I didn't really think about that, mainly because when I dropshot it's for suspended fish and I am keeping the rig off the bottom. Good point Tom.

Quote:
I would say you are just as likely to get everything but your weight back with this rig as you would be with the traditional dropshot. In fact from that perspective I don't think it is any different.

Quote:
I am a low percentage winner at wishbones as well lol.
Old 07-01-11, 05:49 PM   #9
wallywallace
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Can you dropshot from the shore.
wallywallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-11, 06:00 PM   #10
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallywallace View Post
Can you dropshot from the shore.
Absolutley you can! In fact casting a dropshot is a very popular way to fish it. For some reason I just don't do much of it, but it gets a lot of bites.
Old 07-01-11, 07:00 PM   #11
pro reel

I use the stand out hooks. They work great without needing to remember which way to face the hook to tie the knot. I almost always use braid with an FC leader. It's just way more sensitive.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SOBK.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	6920  
Attached Images

pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-11, 07:26 PM   #12
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro reel View Post
I use the stand out hooks. They work great without needing to remember which way to face the hook to tie the knot. I almost always use braid with an FC leader. It's just way more sensitive.
Kevin thanks for bringing these hooks up, I don't think I have ever heard a review on them and I am glad to hear that you like them because I forgot all about them.

What knot do you tie? (To the hook not the leader knot)
Old 07-01-11, 09:26 PM   #13
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I used the Standout hooks for a while when I first started dropshotting. While the concept is good, I didn't care of the hooks. Fairly sharp out of the package, I found they dulled fast. I usually use Gammy's SS/DS hook.

The Saiko Dropshot rigs are also an interesting concept. I'm sure I'll give them a try, even though line twist isn't too big of an issue since I use braid. I'm kind of surprised to see they don't use the SS/DS hook and opt for an octopus hook instead.

Kory, while I'm not Kevin, I also use braid with a FC leader. I've been tying the Alberto knot, although sometimes it doesn't seat right for me with 10lb braid and 6-8lb FC leader. Sometimes I end up using the Double Uni (I don't have any problems getting the Alberto to seat with higher lb tests though.

BB
Old 07-02-11, 01:25 PM   #14
Raul

Quote:
That´s why I said "in theory", I´m on the loser side too.

The truth is that the only reason I do my pre-rigged d-shots is cuz I´m too lazy to do them while I´m fishing, I do them when I got nothing else to to at home, kinda like a way to kill time, and well ...... they get lost a lot ya know, I make 10 pre rigs and most probably I only come home with 2 or 3 that most probabaly weren´t used and that´s why they come home.
Old 07-02-11, 04:24 PM   #15
islandbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro reel View Post

I think this is a highly underrated product. It works really well, at least for me. x2

CR,

That is a very neat looking rig, but I hope it is priced fairly. If they put a Trokar hook type price on it, you can count me out. I don't think I'd use it if it is too expensive and it seems a bit "busy" at the business end. No doubt however, that it will do what it was intended to do. Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-02-11, 05:50 PM   #16
pro reel

I think the original stand out hooks were not as durable as the ones they make now. When they first came out I also thought they dulled fast. The ones I have now seem to be fine. They are super sharp out of the package and last long enough for me. I guess that it might be an issue if you expect a hook to last a very long time, but I am not one to sharpen bare hooks, I toss them and use new hooks when they don't feel sharp anymore.
You can use any good knot that you like to tie. I normally will still use a palomar, but the direction the hook faces when you start is not as critical as it is for a normal drop hook. The hook will automaticaly turn up when you finish the rig and add the weight. The stand out hook also will creat a slightly different action that normal hooks will. You can jig the bait in place by changing presure on the line, let off a bit and the bait will dip, pull it tight and it jerks to attention. LOL
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-11, 06:41 PM   #17
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidyta View Post
I couldn't agree more. I think it would be really hard to get the bait to have the right action, and it looks to bulky to me as well.
Old 07-03-11, 07:19 AM   #18
rrw4258

I think that it would be too bulky, espscially in our clear water up north. Dropshotting is a mainsatay for us on the great lakes, and it really doesnt take but 30 seconds to rig up a dropshot rig anymore.

Ryan

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.