Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-05, 08:11 AM   #1
Mac1
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Something you might try.......or might not

Been wondering lately about spinnerbaits lately, thanks to Rebbasser.

What if you had one with a fair sized willowleaf blade up on the swivel and a smaller colorado on the wire shaft below the willowleaf blade.....let's say the willow is silver and the colorado is gold......just for saying.

Now, would it work to cut the little gold one off of the shaft by cutting the clevis.....then drilling a second hole in the free end of the willowleaf, inserting a split ring and mounting the colorado on the end of the willowleaf with the split ring....? It just seems that the colorado would spin in a wider arc than the willow, maybe even causing a throbbing wobble.....as well as an extra rotating flash. You could even add a second willowleaf onto the first, or even put the colorado on, then the trailing willowleaf....... I tend to think the willowleaf first and then the colorado would probably work the best in that regard, but then, the two truly tandem willows would probably work as well.....

If you are into making spinnerbaits already, you probably have the components on hand.....

When drilling, be sure to wrap the one end of the blade in cloth before pinching down on it with pliars to hold the blade. Be sure to use pliars as if you don't the hole will jamb on the drillbit and the blade will spin, cutting anything in the way....meaning your hand. I'd also take a nail and pre punch a dent in the blade before trying to drill.
Mac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-05, 09:21 AM   #2
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

problem i for see with this mac is both blades will tend to rotate togather at the same time. from water flow off the larger willow blade.

zooker
Old 10-23-05, 09:56 AM   #3
Mac1

Default Hello Zooker.....

Zooker, they do rotate together, but in a different manner.

Just got back from the tub. I used two smallish willowleafs in true tandem as described. They worked as follows..... On top, making a wake, they did not spin, but the forward willow waggled nicely and the after willow also waggled, but in a wider pattern. Underwater, when trolled, both blades spun together, but the forward blade spun on its true axis and the after willowleaf spun as well, but in a wider manner, making a more frantic spinning appearance and a throb in the water as well. Will be trying other combinations in the future and will report back.

I kinda thought the second blade wouln't spin well as it's following in the wake and disturbance of the first blade just as you implied, but it actually seems to find it's own place to spin in. I think with the split ring giving it some freedom and using the front blade in a sense as a hinge type thingy..... I'm surprised at the thob being emitted by such a small blade.....the willows I found to try are an inch and a half long.

If you were to try this for a regularly sized bait, the willows will work well I predict, but if you use too large of a blade size, the after blade will string out too far past the skirt maybe.

Good fishing, Mac
Old 10-23-05, 06:09 PM   #4
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i would try it in muddy water were you need that extra thump..

zooker
Old 10-23-05, 07:41 PM   #5
bassintom
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

try putting a sampo swivel between split rings between the blades .
bassintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-05, 08:57 PM   #6
Marty

Quote:
Now, would it work to cut the little gold one off of the shaft by cutting the clevis.....then drilling a second hole in the free end of the willowleaf, inserting a split ring and mounting the colorado on the end of the willowleaf with the split ring....?
Mac, I would say the answer is yes, it would work. The reason I say that is because ANYTHING works in fishing. But my gut feeling is that, over time, it would not get you anything that the off-the-shelf baits wouldn't.

On the other hand, why not go for it? For people like yourself who enjoy tinkering, I know that there's an extra degree of satisfaction that comes from catching fish on their own creations.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-05, 06:50 PM   #7
pig n jig

Mac, Try taking a big willow leaf and rounding the tip to a Indiana type blade.then cut the exterior strip of a suspend dot sheet and apply it to one side of the blade to alter the balance of the blade. Hey I have got some snakes headed your way, let me know what you think. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-05, 08:18 AM   #8
Mac1

Thanks PNJ, am looking forward. Thanks also for the off balancing tip.....never woulda thunk it.

Good fishn.....Mac
Old 10-25-05, 08:21 AM   #9
Mac1

Marty, I think you are right....maybe wouldn't get much different results than store-bought. Only difference being that maybe, maybe if they are looking for something a little different....perhaps a multiple but smaller flash, or maybe the little thumping....in some situations it may account for something, and then, like you say, maybe not. I think I should have entitled this post...."Maybe?" LOL, Good fishing, Mac
Old 10-25-05, 08:27 AM   #10
Mac1

Bassintom.....I like the idea of the swivel and will try it out soon. Ran out of spinnerbaits I'd like to alter and will be getting to town shortly to pick them up. So far, I've tried smallish willoleafs in tandem and they work well...about one and a half inch per blade. I'm thinking if I go much bigger they will string out way past the skirt and I don't know if that is workable or not. If I use the same sized blades in true tandem, the swivel may put the second blade back a little far.......in which case I can bend the frame to adjust. I guess what I really need to find out is whether the overall length of the blades really makes a difference in the long run.

Will give it a try...thanks. Good fishn, Mac
Old 10-30-05, 08:11 AM   #11
basstech

You will have to put a long spacer between the willow leaf and the colorado because of the wait they both spin. The colorado flares out to a 90 degree angle spinning perpindicular to the wire. The willow leaf spins more swept back so the colorado blade will hit it if there isn't enough space between them.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.