Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-10, 08:03 PM   #26
HarveysMinnow
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamG View Post
A fishes mouth is not a board, however. I've gotten along for quite some time setting the hook ONCE, and keeping constant pressure on the fish thereafter. Seems to me like setting the hook multiple times (or with a series of quick firm tugs) lends itself to losing pressure on a fish. Not mention if you are flipping or pitching in heavy cover, setting the hook once is the only way to get the fish's head turned and coming directly at you.
I'm just not sure if a soft pine board, into which you can make a dent with a fingernail, would be that much firmer than the boney structure that makes up the roof of a bass' (bass'es ?) mouth. However, you make a strong case for a single earth-shattering hookset, especially when dragging a big-un out from cover. It may depend to some extent on what part of the fishes' mouth the hook penetrates. This seems to generate food for thought which goes beyond the original topic of this thread, so I'm going to start a new one...

Old 08-06-10, 07:32 AM   #27
twigass
BassFishin.Com Member

the hooks i am using are gammys the g-lock series and had 1 straighten the other night but was able to land the fish 4 even I think its just my year for the worst to happen all the time drag is set firm but not over tight and i do check my line about every other cast. and the lakes i fish are loaded with zebra muscles so i have grown accustom to checking alotif i could figure out how to post picks i would show u the hooks stil got the bent 1's. i started flipping 20 fireline and not broke 1 yet so i might stick to that but thank you for all your input might try some other lines in future
twigass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-10, 09:01 AM   #28
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

If you're fishing lakes with zebra mussels, you need some abrasion resistant. I don't know if you're using spinning gear or baitcasters. If you're using baitcasters, look at upping to some 15-20lb fluoro like AbrasX. The 10-12 may not be enough with the zebra mussels. those little things sure do a number on line.

I'd even up the fireline you're using to 40-50lb test if you're using a baitcaster.

BB
Old 08-06-10, 09:09 AM   #29
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

You might also try moving up to a larger size hook. 1/0 and 2/0 hooks can and do bend pretty easy.
Old 08-06-10, 08:40 PM   #30
twigass
BassFishin.Com Member

when i am fishing docks i tend to skip a wacky worm so yes i use a spin cast and the gear i use is light, and till this year i never had a problem, just so disappointed can't take it anymore the fish lost aren't that big but with the weight lost i would be in first place long ways ahead, instead i'm in 4th trying to catch up
twigass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-10, 03:15 PM   #31
Garry2rs
BassFishin.Com Active Member

On toothy fish like walleye, pike and musky we often set the hook more than once. These fish can have the lure trapped in their teeth, especially on wooden lures where they can get a better grip. That the first hookset sometimes doesn't actually move the bait within their jaws.

Only a beginner would throw slack into the line to reset the hook!
If you reel down toward the fish, then set the hook again, there is no loss of tension on the line.

This is just one more area where braided line rules! Mono and Fluoro have too much stretch to make me feel secure...grin.
Garry2R's
Garry2rs is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.