Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-20-09, 07:44 AM   #1
vabeachbass
BassFishin.Com Member

Default A few questions for a new setup.

I plan on getting my first big boy setup and leaving behind a ultralight deal I used for many years.

I know little of rods and even less of reels.
Let me say first that practically all my fishing is from shore with soft plastics. I like to fish the banks around bushes and trees and the occasional sunken shopping cart.

In looking and doing some research, I had my eye first on a Diawa TD-pro. But reading reviews and around sites they mentioned saving a few bucks and going with the exceler series. I've never used a Diawa. Any complaints on their products? I was planning on pairing this up with a 7' rod (or maybe a little shorter) and am not sure if I should go with a 2500 or 3000.

In reading up on rods and not wanting to lose the sensitivity I origionally planned on a fast tip. But reading around, some sites say going with a moderate tip for fishing soft baits. So now I'm left with that dilemma. To add to it I planned on going with a medium rod. My dad recomends medium heavy. Some places I fish are really tight without alot of swinging room.

I was planning on buying the reel online, and my dad made the excellent suggestion of actually handling a rod before buying, even if I still plan on buying a rod online as well. Blinded by wanting to save $$$ by going with an online deal it was common sense that hadn't occured to me until he said it. Next week, I'm heading to BPS to check out a rod.
vabeachbass is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.