Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-06, 06:51 AM   #1
pig n jig
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default different reel style ?

I just got 2 Daiwa Millionaire CV-X round reels from a freind. I went to buy the TD Sol reels he is selling, but after taking one of each home to see which one I liked better, the Sol went back.The thing I based my decision on is the way the line layed going to the first guide . I switched the reels out to many different brands of rods to see if the brand made a difference,but what I found was the round Millionaire reel kept the line running straight through the guides, the Sol sat lower so the line was angled upward to the guides. Would that create friction having the line pull aginst the first guide reducing casting distance ?Would the friction ruin your Flourocarbon lines ?Flourocarbon cannot tolerate friction, although the guides are smooth, there has to be rapid amount of heat applied on the initial casting of the lure as the line runs over the guide at a rapid pace, in time could this lead to line failure ? I fish from a boat where casting distance is no big thing, I can move to where I need to, but for those of you fishing on shore might want to weigh your options for casting distances. The Abu reel that holds the casting distance record are round, not low profile.Is it the same line height I noticed , less friction on the guides create a longer casting distance or do I have tunnel vision ? The Millionaire are noticably heavier than the Sol was, both were very smooth cranking, I thought I liked low profiles better to fish with, but after flipping so much, I don't hold on to the reel like I used to , I wrap 2 fingers ahead of the trigger, and rest my palm behind the reel thumbing the spool to hit my target.What is your opinion ? P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-06, 06:59 AM   #2
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

pnj,
I kinda wrap my hand around the reel most of the time, I guess when you're using all low profile reels like I do, its just a habit to keep the hand muscles stretched out.. I used to always keep my fingers on the open area below the reel to feel for any bites through the blank in the rod...
I guess the reel question today is ..WTF we doing up this early , and not on the water ? lol..oh yea....I forgot its 19 degrees out here on the river this morn..rofl
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-06, 08:56 AM   #3
pig n jig

JB, Lmao... I am gearing up to go run the snowblower to clear the driveway and a path to the house. I hate winter. P N J
Old 03-04-06, 09:11 AM   #4
pig n jig

Where was I going with this post ? The title doesn't make a bit of sense.Man I have got to go fishing soon. JB, We're from the old school, when the rod blanks weren't that sensitive so you kept a finger on the line to detect the bite. Have you ever looked to see how many pros on television still fish that way ? There is quite a few of them that do, but is it out of habit, or does it still work better than the new rod blank designs ? I remember you couldn't help but notice that when you saw Hank Parker fish.It seemed as though he had his finger on the line half way up the rod blank. I learned the same way as you did, I have to correct myself alot as I am fishing, old habits are hard to break.Zooker, we are strictly talkin' fishin here, I can only imagine in what direction your mind is travelling, but I can be sure its most likely not involved with fishing. P N J
Old 03-04-06, 09:16 AM   #5
JB

pnj,
thats so true! I hold a finger on my line on every rod, even tho the more sophisticated rods are really all you need...I remember my first really good rod, I was looking at some reeds and felt a "thumP' on the line, and then realized a dragon fly had just landed on the rod tip lol
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-06, 02:08 PM   #6
KenDammit
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I don't know if the line resting on the rod guide would create any noticable friction, if any at all. Most times when casting the line is going to be jumping around and moving so its not going to be pulling taut over the guides like when its sitting still. If theres anything that creates friction in a baitcaster is the levelwind eye. Its not always centered and when the line pulls off it can be pulling across other line, around the eye, and then out of the reel. I don't think it would be enough to damage flouro either, since I am sure that linemakers take any kind of rod guide friction into account. Its also so quick and (usually) lubricated that it would be hard to do any damage.
KenDammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-06, 04:53 PM   #7
Wishing2BFishing

pig and jig, that is a long question for 5:59 a.m.
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-06, 05:05 PM   #8
bass kicker

i have a couple of low profile reels and a couple round and so far i prefer the round reels but i have bigger hands and cant fit the whole reel in them and i just love my ambassadeur C3
Old 03-04-06, 09:25 PM   #9
pig n jig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishing2BFishing
pig and jig, that is a long question for 5:59 a.m.
Wishing, Thanks, but you got me confused ? It was 6:51 AM. I had already been up for a while, I got 3 four legged alarm clocks that either want water running in the bathtub, so they can get a drink or to be fed. Usually they start in between 3:00 and 4:00 then they nap all day long. P N J
Old 03-04-06, 10:50 PM   #10
bass kicker

no problem PNG
Old 03-05-06, 08:56 AM   #11
zooker

jb i hold my reels about the same as you. one reason i don't like fused lines is you slice your finger open on every hook set..

pnj
i wont say it here..

zooker

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.