Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-10, 07:18 AM   #1
3dkicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Big smallies

For the smallmouth fans you need to be checking out the Fed. Nation Northern Divisional in Bays de Noc. Two 20lb bags, seven 19lb bags, and many over 15lb with most of the fish being smallies. 15lbs puts you in 41st place!!!

Here's a link to day one results
http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/b...ivisional_day1
Old 08-12-10, 11:51 AM   #2
BassMoJo
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to BassMoJo

Gotta love them smallies man!
Old 08-12-10, 04:13 PM   #3
Bender

It would be awesome to fish up there since I don't think it gets much pressure at all. It is just SO FAR away for the average angler to get up to. When I lived in Michigan I never fished it since it was still about a 10 hour drive towing a boat.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-10, 04:39 PM   #4
3dkicker

Got a client in the tournament. He and some fellow team members are fishing some of my custom tubes. Got one made just for the event. He's catching his better fish on smaller tubes though. His big fish yesterday was a largemouth in the 4-10 range. Spent a couple hours keeping it alive. Rest of his limit were smallies in the 3-8 class.
I wish I could watch the weigh in or see the Live Leaderboard.....don't want to bash Bassmaster but really??? Neither one works.
Old 08-12-10, 10:48 PM   #5
Ground Pounder
BassFishin.Com Active Member

BPS Bassmaster Northern Open on St. Clair / Erie is next weekend - that one should produce some really nice smallie bags.

Launch point at Elizabeth Park will make things interesting. It's on the Detroit River, almost the half-way point between good open-water bass on either lake. But large boat traffic in the Detroit River could make it a pain-in-the-fanny coming back and forth.

I'm real curious to see how the field handles the weather changes this time of year. We've had a pretty hot, muggy summer. The last week has been just brutal. But as anyone in SE Michigan can tell you, our weather can change in an instant. If the weather doesn't cooperate and the water gets rough on either Lake St. Clair or Lake Erie, it's a tough choice to try and chance the long drive to the St. Clair River, or slug it out in the Detroit River.

Plus, I can't wait for all these ol' walleye salts on the Michigan sportsman forums to rant and rave to high hades about those hot-shot run '& gun bassers foulin' up their fishing holes all weekend, haha!
Ground Pounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-10, 04:03 PM   #6
dave0943

I live in Upper Mi. I haven't fished at Bay D in a few years. Smallies and Walleye are crazy there. I fish the Upper Menominee river shed at least 3 times a week. I live a half a block from the boat landing. For some reason the Smallies have been going nuts this year. Walleye has been so, so. I've hit quite a few 2lb plus and more than a average year 3 lb or better. The early spring and early summer were near drought conditions with the dams seldom letting out water. The past month has been pretty wet. I think the weather sequence has turned them on. Just wish I could hit the water more. I'm a home builder and its our busy season. Wish I wasn't so darn responsible!!!! Really have to get to Bay D this falls. Just awesome fishing.
dave0943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-10, 10:38 AM   #7
MIbasser

Hey 3D, how did your guys finish up? You have anybody fishing the open this week?
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-10, 12:27 PM   #8
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Holly smokes!! Thas some BIG smallies!
Old 08-15-10, 09:09 PM   #9
Cavs1123

I got the priveldge to see in person, the N. Open last year on Erie. It was only 2days due to weather,but the winner,Jonathan VanDam, had weights in the high 40's. Including a 25lb bag on day 2. I also saw a 7lb smallie that won big fish!
Old 08-16-10, 11:41 AM   #10
3dkicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIbasser View Post
Hey 3D, how did your guys finish up? You have anybody fishing the open this week?
Third day they limited the fishing to one area due to high winds. The two I know had my tubes didn't do well at all and fell out of the top 30. I believe 4 or 5 of the South Dakota team had some of my tubes. I'll have to email or call my client and see if anyone did well using them.

Don't know of anyone fishing Erie but I'll have to take a look and see who's fishing. I just might.
Old 08-16-10, 03:37 PM   #11
DaveW731

Default From one Michigander to another

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave0943 View Post
I live in Upper Mi. I haven't fished at Bay D in a few years. Smallies and Walleye are crazy there. I fish the Upper Menominee river shed at least 3 times a week. I live a half a block from the boat landing. For some reason the Smallies have been going nuts this year. Walleye has been so, so. I've hit quite a few 2lb plus and more than a average year 3 lb or better. The early spring and early summer were near drought conditions with the dams seldom letting out water. The past month has been pretty wet. I think the weather sequence has turned them on. Just wish I could hit the water more. I'm a home builder and its our busy season. Wish I wasn't so darn responsible!!!! Really have to get to Bay D this falls. Just awesome fishing.
You're a home builder, AND you are busy???? In Michigan???????
DaveW731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-10, 06:28 PM   #12
dave0943

Default ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveW731 View Post
You're a home builder, AND you are busy???? In Michigan???????
Actually, in my area building is up 33% in vacation homes. Lots of beautiful woods, water, draws people. Small homes are down. Large homes up. Now's the time people with money, buy waterfront and build the vacation homes. Average home price in new starts, 275,000. I love to build the houses, but hate to see development. Fishing and hunting here is some of the best in the country. I myself, moved here 15 years ago from the Chicago suburbs for the same reason people are today. Peace, woods, water.I suppose I shouldn't complain about not much time to fish!
dave0943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-10, 12:07 PM   #13
Bender

Last weekend in the Monsterquest tournament on Saint Clair it took over 29.68 to win and I just read that the Lake Simcoe open was won with a 31.5# bag! Big bass was over 8# and not caught by the winners. It seems like the smallies are getting bigger up north.

Edit: corrected weight for LSC.
Old 10-26-10, 04:06 PM   #14
3dkicker

The client who fished went out two weeks ago and caught a 5-10, a 6-1, and a 6-2. Best 5 was 28 and change and he was out for fun with his son. He's sending me the picks of the big three. State Record for him is 6-9 so he's close.
Old 10-26-10, 04:11 PM   #15
rrw4258

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
Last weekend in the Monsterquest tournament on Saint Clair it took over 29.68 to win and I just read that the Lake Simcoe open was won with a 31.5# bag! Big bass was over 8# and not caught by the winners. It seems like the smallies are getting bigger up north.

Edit: corrected weight for LSC.

WOW!! A 31.5 pound bag of smallies... that would be the biggest bag I have ever seen. I think we found the Lake Falcon of the north!

Ryan
Old 11-08-10, 09:00 PM   #16
nova385

If you dont bring a 25lbs forget it-
nova385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-10, 01:40 PM   #17
islandbass

Wow. Perhaps it would be great to retire there.
Old 11-09-10, 06:24 PM   #18
Bender

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbass View Post
Wow. Perhaps it would be great to retire there.
Not so fast, you obviously haven's suffered through a winter up in that area. Unless you are big on ice fishing. And their bass season doesn't open until the third week of June.

Now a summer cottage would be a real treat.
Old 11-09-10, 06:33 PM   #19
3dkicker

I think ib might have an idea since the Northwest does get a little snow every once in a while.
Old 11-09-10, 08:59 PM   #20
DVT Mike

Tis' the season for big smallies (oxymoron) and they are a blast. A 5lb average is nuts.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.