Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-07, 11:21 AM   #1
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144
Default Carolina Rigging

This is one of the techniques I am going to learn this spring. I have already picked out a rod/reel, weights, beads, hooks, bait. Anyways. I have read that using braid and then making the end of the C-rig out of mono is good. But I want to know what you guys use.

The other thing is probably the most important thing I need to know...
How do you retrieve the C-Rig. Most of the articles I have read only go over tackle and things. the ones that did cover actually fishing it, didn't do a very good job.

Thanks for all the help you guys!
BB
Old 12-09-07, 12:38 PM   #2
bassnman30
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

The carolina rig is best when used for deeper fish in the late summer.
Granted it can be used for shallow fish as well, although other baits may work at this time of year.
I preferably use a 3/4 oz. Tru-Tungsten weight. For line I like to use 17 lb test flourocarbon with a 14 lb test flouro. leader. The reason: flouro is more sensitive than mono and the stretch is not as bad as mono. Braid may be more sensitive than flourocarbon but I don't use it due to several different reasons. When retrieving I pump the bait amongst rocks, stumps or anything else that might cause a hangup. When on smoother bottums, I drag my bait. Your leader (in my opinion) should be between 18" and 36" long.

Last edited by bassnman30; 12-09-07 at 12:43 PM.
bassnman30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-07, 12:38 PM   #3
pig n jig

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...10000_100-10-3

This is what I have been using as of last summer.I carolina rig outside weed edges, primary points and sloping, or stepped drop off areas.I use 20 lb braid for the mainline and 16 lb fluorocarbon leader to the lure.I primarily use 4 baits when carolina rigging.

1. Yamamoto lizard in #214 color which I call bluegill.
2 Zoom centepede(4" french fry ) Cotton candy is my go to color.
3 Wave worm Bamboostick, sweet potato is my favorite Waveworm color.
4 Zoom trick worm. I use Junebug and Watermelon the most.

Whether you drift with the wind, or cast and fish as you would a worm, or drop it down and use the trolling motor to slowly crawl around with, you can't go wrong using the carolina rig. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-07, 12:47 PM   #4
fluke
BassFishin.Com Member

in bassmaster mag new book series they give two good techniques for carolina fishing.one is using a sideways sweep of the rod to drag the weight along the bottom. the other is to hop the weight off the bottom.
Old 12-09-07, 05:39 PM   #5
zooker

i prefure to drag mine. there is two differant methods the sweep or the pump. both work i use the sweep my self..

zooker
Old 12-09-07, 06:16 PM   #6
BigBassin144

Thanks everyone! This should help me out a great deal. Looks like I'll be using my rod with 20lb braid on it and adding a fluorocarbon leader. I will be trying both sweeping the rod and hopping the bait off the bottom.

Thanks again,
BB
Old 12-09-07, 11:36 PM   #7
garry_3000
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Try changing lures and or length of leader before you switch to a nother technique.
garry_3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-07, 09:15 AM   #8
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by garry_3000 View Post
Try changing lures and or length of leader before you switch to a nother technique.
You know, that mau seen obvious to some but I wouldn't have thought of changing leader lengths too. Thanks Garry!

BB
Old 12-10-07, 11:46 PM   #9
Rebbasser

I use 50 lb braid with a 17 lb Vanish (Yes, Vanish-crappy on a reel but makes a great C-rig leader) fluorocarbon leader.

I fish a lot of rocky lakes where it is snag city using a conventional C-rig setup. So, I use a Lindy Rattlin' No-Snagg sinker. It is a banana shaped weight with a built in rattle and comes through rock surprisingly well.

I drag mine, too, and set the hook with a side sweep.
Old 12-11-07, 10:35 AM   #10
lunker-lander

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander

I like the looks of these steel weights from Bass Pro. I may try the 1/2 or 3/8OZ next year for my C-Rigs.

<H1 class=breadcrumb_bold>Ultra Steel 2000® Egg Sinkers

</H1>

Not too pricey either; $2.99/12.

-LL-

This lead free, environmentally smart weight offers greater sensitivity and feel, retains its shape better for less line fray and improved snag resistance. 12 pack.

Old 12-11-07, 10:50 AM   #11
Bob Smith

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser View Post
I use 50 lb braid with a 17 lb Vanish (Yes, Vanish-crappy on a reel but makes a great C-rig leader) fluorocarbon leader.

I fish a lot of rocky lakes where it is snag city using a conventional C-rig setup. So, I use a Lindy Rattlin' No-Snagg sinker. It is a banana shaped weight with a built in rattle and comes through rock surprisingly well.

I drag mine, too, and set the hook with a side sweep.
Another great weight that I use exclusively these days is the brass cylindrical weight from Top Brass called the Pro-Jo Weight,
http://www.fishingworld.com/Brannans...U=TopBrass-PJO
As you can see I order mine through Brannan's Bass Pro Shop (Paris, TX). My goto is the 3/4 oz. The reason I use the cylindrical weight is two-fold, 1st it is extremely weddless and rockfree, second is that it makes a solid clicking sound with the blunt ends when it contacts hard objects (this is transmitted easier to the rod holder and it also mimicks crawfish in addition to the clacker and beads). Bullet shaped sinkers tend to wedge in the crevices and limb intersections and get hung a lot more.
As far as how I retrieve the c-rig, that depends on what the fish want. For consistency I always start with a long leader (4-5'), instead of varying the leader length (when I am not using floating baits, which is most of the time), I vary my retrieve speed until I start catching fish. "Rule of Thumb" if I feel a hard bottom in the middle of mushy stuff I ALWAYS slow down and fish it thoroughly!
Old 12-11-07, 09:30 PM   #12
BigBassin144

Well, Thanks again guys!

I think I'll do pretty good with it this spring/summer.

BB
Old 12-11-07, 10:49 PM   #13
lunker-lander

Well, first of all, I'd like to say that you have had a lot of good, question-raising posts lately BB144. But, I still have just one question.

Today I got my stuff from BTE, Barlows Tackle Express, and one item, I ordered 10" ribbontail worms. 5'' are worm, and the other 5" is "ribbon". So I was thinking, instead of using a bait like a DT22 or DD22 and crankin' your arm off to locate deep Summer fish, use a C-Rig with this long 10" worm to get their attention. Wouldn't it work? I mean, 10" is a lot of worm, you might not get every bite hooked up, but the worms is so big, it would be easy to locate fish that are deep.

Do you Guys think using this worm, or larger, could/would locate deep Summer fish? Would it truly get 'ya more bites -vs- Crankin' your arm off?

-LL-
Old 12-11-07, 10:52 PM   #14
Rebbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Smith View Post
Another great weight that I use exclusively these days is the brass cylindrical weight from Top Brass called the Pro-Jo Weight,
http://www.fishingworld.com/Brannans...U=TopBrass-PJO
As you can see I order mine through Brannan's Bass Pro Shop (Paris, TX). My goto is the 3/4 oz. The reason I use the cylindrical weight is two-fold, 1st it is extremely weddless and rockfree, second is that it makes a solid clicking sound with the blunt ends when it contacts hard objects (this is transmitted easier to the rod holder and it also mimicks crawfish in addition to the clacker and beads). Bullet shaped sinkers tend to wedge in the crevices and limb intersections and get hung a lot more.
As far as how I retrieve the c-rig, that depends on what the fish want. For consistency I always start with a long leader (4-5'), instead of varying the leader length (when I am not using floating baits, which is most of the time), I vary my retrieve speed until I start catching fish. "Rule of Thumb" if I feel a hard bottom in the middle of mushy stuff I ALWAYS slow down and fish it thoroughly!
Bob, I've looked at those many times and wondered how they would work on a C-rig. May need to try them. Do you add any kind of clacker on it like a glass bead or one of those Carolina clackers?
Old 12-11-07, 11:11 PM   #15
Bob Smith

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser View Post
Bob, I've looked at those many times and wondered how they would work on a C-rig. May need to try them. Do you add any kind of clacker on it like a glass bead or one of those Carolina clackers?
Reb, the answer to that is yup!! I like to add the brass disc style clacker between the weight and the Glass Bead! It's like adding bait attractant to your bait, it may or may not work but darn sure doesn't hurt it!
Old 12-12-07, 06:24 PM   #16
BigBassin144

Quote:
Reb, the answer to that is yup!! I like to add the brass disc style clacker between the weight and the Glass Bead! It's like adding bait attractant to your bait, it may or may not work but darn sure doesn't hurt it!
Between the weight and the bead? I think I'll stick to after the bead.

BB
Old 12-12-07, 07:47 PM   #17
zooker

the bead protects the knot the weight slams into the bead making a clickin sound. a brass clacker some times works. but i can't bring myself to use one. just a sinker and a bead for me most of the time..

zooker
Old 12-12-07, 07:58 PM   #18
Rebbasser

Quote:

Thanks, Bob! I'll give it a try.
Old 12-13-07, 08:44 AM   #19
Hef
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Hef

40lb superbraid w/ 16lb flouro leader

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his"
- Gen Patton
Hef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-07, 10:08 AM   #20
Bob Smith

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Between the weight and the bead? I think I'll stick to after the bead.

BB

There are a couple of reasons for that, the first being the glass protects the knot better than the brass. The second is that the brass on brass creates a slightly different clicking sound, followed by yet another sound when the clacker hits the glass.
As Zooker pointed out, it may not make any difference at all. Fisherfolk develope their own niche's over the years, this one is just one of mine. I've done it for so long that it is automatic when I rety (Which I also pre-ty all of my leaders for the day and keep them on a leader card. Yes, they are all Mono 14 # Trilene XT in the green. Yes I even fish it in super clear water and haven't seen any difference.. the fish still hit the bait! ).
Old 12-13-07, 08:45 PM   #21
zooker

retying is a must with a 'rig. i have caught plenty of bass on a rig even late at nite..

zooker
Old 12-13-07, 09:18 PM   #22
lunker-lander

Do you use all your clackers on a baitcaster Zook?

-LL-
Old 12-15-07, 04:16 PM   #23
bassnman30

If you wish to use tungsten it may break the plastic.
I don't think that the color of the bead makes any difference, as long as it's not plastic.
I use a clacker as well as a tungsten beads, it seems that (for me) you get more hangups when going with any more than the basics. I use a weight,a bead, a clacker on top of a swivel.
Note: Stick with black or off colored weights, as well as swivels. Fish other than bass will strike the brass weight.
Old 12-15-07, 04:18 PM   #24
bassnman30

If you wish to use tungsten it may break the plastic.
I don't think that the color of the bead makes any difference, as long as it's not plastic.
I use a clacker as well as a tungsten beads, it seems that (for me) you get more hangups when going with any more than the basics. I use a weight,a bead, a clacker on top of a swivel.
Note: Stick with black or off colored weights, as well as swivels. Fish other than bass will strike the brass weight, as well as the shiny swivel.
Old 12-15-07, 07:19 PM   #25
BigBassin144

Hm... Never though of that, but it could pose a problem. Anyone else have that problem with using brass colored weights, clackers, or swivels?

BB

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.