Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-06, 12:00 PM   #1
damian2b
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Question on the Wobble.......

I understand that different types of cranks wobble/wiggle/swim differently. Some having a wide wobble type of movement while others have a tighter wiggle, both of which being cause by the size/shape of the crank. My question is under what conditions should either or be used?
damian2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-06, 12:07 PM   #2
bassking22
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I like a tighter wobble personally, but they work best in clearer water, and wider wobble gives off more vibration, therefore less natural, but easier for the fish to find in low light connditions, and muddy or stained water.
Old 08-07-06, 12:11 PM   #3
crankybait
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

well, the body shape and size doesnt necessarily control the wobble. the bill has a part, and with liplesses it is the shape of the forehead. how much experience do i have with this? plenty.
Old 08-07-06, 12:18 PM   #4
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Well crankbaits have never been my specialty, but I think I have probably caught 100 or so bass on them in the past 10 years.

I did not offer an answer to the original question because I don't believe, with 10 years experience and 100 or so bass I know enough about cranks to really give an opinion. I mean I could spout what I've heard regarding tight vs wide wobble crankbaits, but it wouldn't be an honest answer, it would be crap that I couldn't verify.

The question Damien asked was a good one, for David Fritts.
Old 08-07-06, 12:22 PM   #5
bassking22

I posted what I have found to be true, and I actually read this in many articles. Dont worry, I don't consider myself a pro, or an experienced angler, but from my little experience, and all of the reading that I do, I have found that to be true, and remember, I just recently started serious bass fishing so 10 is a big number for me.
Old 08-07-06, 12:26 PM   #6
WTL

Sure but Damian wanted an answer, not what is true for you and those 10 bass, but an answer that will hold up as being true altogether. And the one you gave sounded fine, like its from an experienced angler, or more like its from bassmaster magazine...

But when people who really don't know too much start giving out information, it leads to a lot of misinformation for new and experienced anglers.

I tell you I am waiting on Zookers take on this question, as well as Tom's and Bassguy2004...and Lizards, who was an inexperienced angler at one time but has improved tremendously over the course of the past 4 or so years to the point where I think he is better than I am.
Old 08-07-06, 12:27 PM   #7
JB

tight wobble for cooler water conditions , like a rattletrap in the spring, wider wobble in warmer water, like a wiggle wort or manns -1 for warmer waters, however like everything else, nothing is set in stone, you can catch fish all year long on a trap, or throw a wide wobble in the spring , but over all the tighter wobble does best for me in spring.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-06, 12:44 PM   #8
damian2b
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Thanks guys. I appreciate the quick repsonses. Gotta love the boring days at work...
damian2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-06, 02:15 PM   #9
bassintom

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

if i say i have caught 20 bass on cranks in the past 20+ years i may be exaggerating(other than rattletraps).i know what is supposed to work at different times,but you couldn't prove it by me.cranks are not my forte.
i have no place giving advice on cranks but i sure could use some.after reading literally hundreds of articles on them i still can't get them to produce on a regular basis.
Old 08-07-06, 05:43 PM   #10
bassking22

WTL, I in no way think myself capable of giving personal fishing advice, you are right thats what I have read, and that, is kind of my rule of thumb, personally right now I seem to have most of my luck on rapalas, and Cabelas crankbaits. Now luck for me is not 10 fish over 3 punds a trip, it may mean one good fish, a dink, and some follow ups. Although these are two completely different wobbles, they both seem to wrk for me, but thats with my skill (which is very limited), in my lakes, from my spots. Hope this helps.
Old 08-07-06, 06:03 PM   #11
zooker

i have caught a bunch on cranks. jb is right to a degree water temp has something to do with the wiggle. i always found a wider wiggle and a slower retrive during winter to be effective..spring when the water starts to warm in the pre spawn a lipless bait is hard to beat..the hotter the water NORMALLY the tighter the wiggle.. the water hits 90 and a large deep diving crank fished slowly works. but most large deep diver baits have a wide wiggle..
muddy water or clear i like a crank with rattles. water clarity is is a color spefic bases.. muddy water- homer,blue back,firetiger, purple headed warrior -zilla's paint job- clear water shad,silver,green craw all work i would say shad and homer being my favorites..

zooker
Old 08-07-06, 06:09 PM   #12
ILfishinman

Send a message via AIM to ILfishinman Send a message via MSN to ILfishinman

what is a homer pattern?
Old 08-07-06, 08:23 PM   #13
zooker

blue back,chartuses sides orange belly..

zooker
Old 08-07-06, 09:16 PM   #14
lizardsrule

WTL,

Thanks for the kind words. Not sure any of it is true though. Makes me wanna go catch some bass LOL. JB has it pretty much down. No rules are made in stone though. I actually prefer a tighter wobble on rivers also. Just from my experience they have produced better.

Lizards
Old 08-07-06, 09:40 PM   #15
bassintom

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

i think one thing that really keeps me from learning them is i can catch fish(many are bigger fish)shallow in 90 degree water.i don't have to go deep.that is why i also don't dropshot much.i can and do catch them shallow from prespawn to well after our lakes turnover.
would you use unproven(to yourself) tactics if you could just keep catching bass the way you always do?
when the bite is tough and i'm fishing a "T" i'll definitely go shallow.and that puts me in a do or die situation.most of the time i do...so why change?....jeez!
will somebody please tell me what the h*** i'm talking about..(hic)

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.