Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-08, 12:01 PM   #1
pig n jig
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default For the Horny toadin' types

Wondering what hook you use for horny toad ? I was thinking the screw in type hook but not sure the screw in thingy will help make the frog last better through multiple fish. Yep, I am a cheap S.O.B.

My second question is from general consensus, the Zoom horny toad works best ? Is there another frog worth buyin ?

Thanks in advance. Ivan
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-08, 12:51 PM   #2
bassinbob

Ivan, I use two mainly. One that I've found works well for me is the skip gap. With this hook you don't have to waste time impaling the toad every time. The other is the one made by Zoom with the screw in. May I add (which I haven't done) is to place a small bead in front of the hook. This is to prevent weeds and grass from fouling up your line. Another method is to finish your knot with the tag end towards the hook. I saw this in an issue of Bassmaster. If I come across it I will post.
To answer your question, which will bring about many opinions, yes the Toad works best, for me. I have found that in the water I fish the Toad wins hands down. I will add that the watermelon colors are my best producers. I have on a few occasions tested many different toads. On some at least 4 or 5 brands. I have over 30 different brands. When I threw all or most the Toad was the one that the bass responded to the most. Now, in my opinion when you are committed to the toad type baits as much as I am, you might develop a degree of faith in that particular bait. It could be any brand. So don't let yourself become close minded to that one brand. Find 3 or 4 brands that work. So if one day the Horny isn't working you have another that might.
Old 11-30-08, 02:25 PM   #3
cassidyta

For me, the best hook with my toads is the owner long neck. It has a rubber stopper that holds the bait on well. They are pricey, but for toads I think they are worth it.
Old 11-30-08, 03:13 PM   #4
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I've just used a #5 gammy but I am sure I need to fine tune that tho..
Last year I went out and bought with Denny all the brands of toads there were, I thought I'd like the ribbit the best, due to its kicking action, but for some reason the frog bite wasnt there as much for me, mostly due to I'm only fishing Brookville and havent seen the right waters to use it, I will tho, I just need to make a mental note to tie it one..
That being said after trying them all, the Zoom horney toad

or Manns hard nose

are my favs..Denny would say the dean rojas one is his fav. i am sure of that.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-08, 04:18 PM   #5
zooker

i use a 4/0 ewg hook with the horny toad.. i also use the sismic frog as it's smaller when the bass want to just slap at a horny toad they will hit the sismic frog for a better hookup rate..you need to use a 3/0 ewg hook with the sismic frogs..

zooker
Old 11-30-08, 05:08 PM   #6
pig n jig

Zooker,the sizmic junior frog ?http://www.landbigfish.com/tacklesto...e.cfm?PID=2412

Thanks for the replies.Bob I have been using the skip gap hooks, not for froggin but from everything from sweetbeavers to senkos. The frog market has taken off. http://www.landbigfish.com/tacklesto...terplastic.cfm

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/catpage-frogs.html

Last edited by pig n jig; 11-30-08 at 05:14 PM.
Old 11-30-08, 06:57 PM   #7
zooker

yeah the junior pnj

zooker
Old 11-30-08, 09:20 PM   #8
WIUbassin
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I love me them stanley ribbits. I personally think they have the best kick of the toads. They also started making a floating version as well. As far as hook, I use a 5/0 superline ewg Gamakatsu with 50lb braid
Old 11-30-08, 10:23 PM   #9
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

For regulaar hooks, I use a 4/0 or 5/0 ewg gammy, and for the hoosk with the screw thingy, I use 5/0 Owner Twist-Lock hooks.

BB
Old 11-30-08, 11:18 PM   #10
C BASS
BassFishin.Com Member

manns hardnose ghost white with a 5/0 superline.tears em up everytime!
C BASS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-08, 08:24 PM   #11
pig n jig

Well I ordered Horny toads in, black, watermelon red pearl, white and sizmic jr in black and white and a few different frog hooks.

I almost pulled the trigger on a powell rod but I will wait and buy it at the lake George store where I can handle them . Ivan
Old 12-02-08, 05:31 PM   #12
flfireman

Primarily use Sizmic, have another brand in my box that I like better....but, I can't figure out what brand they are. Same general size as the Sizmic, however they have a larger paddle on the feet. Head to head, they primarily act the same, however w/ the larger feet water movement is far superior. If anyone has seen these, let me know. By the way, pretty much use black, white and silver/gold.
Old 12-02-08, 05:51 PM   #13
chubs

Not much for froggin, but When I know its workin Im throwing a Cane toad or ribbit. The cane toad also makes a great trailer!
chubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-08, 05:10 PM   #14
chubs

Any of you froggers try the stroken toad by alluring?
chubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-08, 07:51 AM   #15
Lancer6
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I've had a few bites on the original ZOOM Horny Toad and have recently acquired some of the newer floating variant. Will report so soon as A: Toad season comes around and B: I get to go fishing.
So far as I can tell, the ZOOMer offers about all one needs in a toad.
I'm also hoping to get some of the double hooks Gambler markets for use with toads. Might help the hook-up ratio (which for old hair-trigger me is about one-in-five hundred) Thankfully, that's the only hair-trigger problem I have...whew!
Lancer6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.