Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-09, 04:50 PM   #1
bassinbob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default fire dept boat

The guys in my fire dept are looking at a 94 170 Mariner by Starcraft. It has a 94 90hp Merc Force (I think) on it. It's a tin boat with rivets. It has a center consol so you can walk around inside the boat. Which is good for river rescues. At this time we run a 14ft jon. We want to upgrade. From reading on here I know to have the motor tested. Also most say stay away from riveted boats. Which I agree with. My boat is a 14 ft starcraft with rivets and every year I am JB welding a few. Anyway the price is 5,000. The boat was used on Lake Erie. It appears to be in very good shape. One thing I couldn't find out yet is if it has a bilge pump which I would want on a boat that size. Anybody have any thoughts or knowledge of this type of boat and motor?
Old 05-12-09, 05:56 PM   #2
kg5388

most guys won't even look at a boat with a force on it expensive to fix and hard to find parts.
My fishin pal has one and He has no complaints with it.

for the leaking rivets just get some gluvit and coat them from the inside.

take it for a test drive you need to make sure that you can get a diver in his gear or a body in and out of the boat.
It would suck to get the boat and then you can't get a 200lb body in it.

you also need to see how well it handles in the wind and current as the boat is one of a diver/ rescue swimmer biggest dangers

with the 17 ft center console will you have room for gear and will a 90hp move a 17ft boat in wind and hold it's place in current while full of men and rescue gear
Old 05-12-09, 10:56 PM   #3
kg5388

the 16 foot double wide as we call it is on the right and has a 60 merc on the back and works well in current and wind with divers or cadaver dogs

the smaller jon boat is one we use in back water and small creeks and ponds.

the large boat is Memphis Police Harbor patrol and is used mainly for patrol rescue on the Mississippi but is impossible to get a body in the boat.

the boat the pic was taken from is a 22 foot long 8 foot wide aluminum jon boat that has twin 90hp on the back that is a former Coast Guard/ Army Corp buoy tender that was used on the Mississippi that was donated to the Sheriff Dept

look into getting a boat donated from the CG and look into all the new homeland security grants for trucks, boats and updated rescue tools

There are even grants for free jet fleas for rescue/fire depts we had 2 but they are to dangerous with divers in the water so we gave them back
Old 05-12-09, 11:06 PM   #4
kg5388

http://www.firegrantsupport.com/

A program of the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), grants are awarded to fire departments to enhance their ability to protect the public and fire service personnel from fire and related hazards. Three types of grants are available: Assistance to Firefighters Grant (AFG), Fire Prevention and Safety (FP&S), and Staffing for Adequate Fire and Emergency Response (SAFER). This Website provides a description of the three types of grants available and offers resources to help fire departments prepare and submit grant requests.

The primary goal of the Assistance to Firefighters Grants (AFG) is to meet the firefighting and emergency response needs of fire departments and nonaffiliated emergency medical services organizations. Since 2001, AFG has helped firefighters and other first responders to obtain critically needed equipment, protective gear, emergency vehicles, training, and other resources needed to protect the public and emergency personnel from fire and related hazards. The Grant Programs Directorate of the Federal Emergency Management Agency administers the grants in cooperation with the U.S. Fire Administration

*************you need to hurry as the grant request need to be in by may 20, 2009************

Last edited by kg5388; 05-12-09 at 11:15 PM. Reason: add info
Old 05-18-09, 10:50 PM   #5
Tall
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Name:  t33.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  2.8 KBClick image for larger version

Name:	LR Rescue Boat.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	3580

This is a Pic of the boat we use here in Little Rock on the Arkanasas River that Federal aid assisted in the cost. You may also look into mutual aid revenue in 833 money to get aid. We also use a Zodiac. I have other Arkansas water rescue boats at the bottom that were in Little Rock for a water rescue training class.

There is another way to get money, but it is a little slower. These two radio 103 the BAZ Babes were at a Arkansas fallen firefighter fun raiser and were collecting donations in the street corner and just happen to pose for a pic with me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Arkansas rescue boats.jpg
Views:	438
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	3581   Click image for larger version

Name:	Arkansas area rescue Pic 2.jpg
Views:	444
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	3583   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zodiac.jpg
Views:	454
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	3584   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zodiac training.jpg
Views:	447
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	3585  
CHRIST loves you and died for you John 3:16

Last edited by Tall; 05-18-09 at 11:10 PM.
Tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-09, 12:07 AM   #6
kg5388

nice boats Tall
I also work for Cummins and sometimes I get sent to the Little Rock Branch next time we'll have to get together for a cup of coffee.

Bassinbob hope We gave you some ideals on how to get some better equipment
Old 05-20-09, 02:21 PM   #7
Captmikestarrett
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Should also have a tow arch..

Capt Mike
Old 05-20-09, 11:03 PM   #8
Tall
BassFishin.Com Active Member

OK, I am at #11 Fire station at 5400 S University on A shift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg5388 View Post
nice boats Tall
I also work for Cummins and sometimes I get sent to the Little Rock Branch next time we'll have to get together for a cup of coffee.

Bassinbob hope We gave you some ideals on how to get some better equipment
CHRIST loves you and died for you John 3:16

Last edited by Tall; 05-20-09 at 11:10 PM.
Tall is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.