Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-08, 10:32 PM   #1
mariner
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default lure mods

BROKEN-BACK BUZZBAIT

This radical buzzbait mod enhances action, increases hookups, and reduces the leverage a fish can use to work free of the hook in snags.
Cut the shank in two between the lead head and line tie. Bend eyes into both cut ends, and attach the halves with a split ring. This arrangement causes the business end to ride lower in the water, increasing hookup-to-strike ratios. The hinge affect helps prevent hooked bass from wrenching free if it wraps up in brush or other snags.

Here're a couple of mods that you can do to various baits.

Jigs: after I take a jig out of the package, I always cut the skirt to the bend of the hook. IMO, I believe the stock skirts are too long.

Spinnerbaits: when I want to reel a blade fast on the surface, I will bend the upper wire of a blade towards the lower wire so as to decrease the angle at the line tie eye. This decreases the drag in the water and makes the spinnerbait run true at high speeds.

Cranks: I will have my wife go down to the beauty supply house and buy me some Pearl Blue Clear nail polish. I flat refuse to myself! Anyway, I take this and apply it to some of my cranks. It makes the crank have an iridescent finish like most bait fish.

Plastic Craws: I will take a heavy embroidery needle and some rubber or silicone skirt material. Then, I thread legs into the craws.

Floating worms: Using a single edged razor blade, split the lower 3" of the worm all the way to the tail. Then, take an old worm and cut out a wedge. Place the wedge into the the worm at the top of the split and weld it in place with a soldering iron. You end up with a split tail worm that can be worked on the surface or Wacky Style. DEADLY!

that is just a few lure mods i found

Last edited by mariner; 07-14-08 at 06:42 PM.
mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-08, 11:47 PM   #2
Robbie R.
BassFishin.Com Member

Super good info. there Mariner. These are very helpful ideas.
Old 07-14-08, 12:00 AM   #3
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

most of them i have tried and you are right......they work. but one thing i will say as a jig guy, don't stop with the way you are trimming the skirt. i have a handful of ways of trimming and modifying jigs to give them different looks, get creative you could be amazed at what you come up with!
Old 07-14-08, 12:07 AM   #4
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariner View Post
BROKEN-BACK BUZZBAIT

Cranks: I will have my wife go down to the beauty supply house and buy me some Pearl Blue Clear nail polish. I flat refuse to myself! Anyway, I take this and apply it to some of my cranks. It makes the crank have an iridescent finish like most bait fish.

good info mariner btw how old is your wife ? (hahaha)
Old 07-14-08, 10:28 AM   #5
Mac2
BassFishin.Com Active Member

At Sally Beauty Supply, they sell a Pro brand nail polish. Get one bottle of the Mango color and totally paint a Heddon Torpedo or Tiny Torpedo body and use that in early to mid summer for your topwater.
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-08, 05:50 PM   #6
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

thanks mariner, good read and great info.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-08, 06:43 PM   #7
mariner
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

guys i dont have a wife i just got those off a different website(that i found on google)
Old 07-14-08, 07:03 PM   #8
dubyatee
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to dubyatee

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
most of them i have tried and you are right......they work. but one thing i will say as a jig guy, don't stop with the way you are trimming the skirt. i have a handful of ways of trimming and modifying jigs to give them different looks, get creative you could be amazed at what you come up with!
Exactly. I always like to modify my jigs to some degree. Either with the skirt or the trailer. Sometimes i will take a trick worm and rig it wacky style on for the trailer. Just get creative.
dubyatee is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.