Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-05, 07:35 PM   #1
foxworthy
BassFishin.Com Member

Default spawn

when does spawn start around mobile, alabama.

and is it better to fish during the spawn,right before the spawn, after????
Old 11-10-05, 10:47 PM   #2
KH.
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Hmmmmmmmmm. I Dont Think There Is An Exact Date, If Thats What Your Looking For,

Btw, I Love Jeff Foxworthy, Do You????
Old 11-13-05, 06:06 PM   #3
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Check you local lakes and reservoirs, along with the DNR as for when it is, WTL probably could give you a good idea. Water temps have a HUGE amount to do with it, so it can vary somewhat from year to year. As for when the best time to fish is, well that depends on how good of a sight fisherman you are, and if you think it's OK to sight fish, along with water clarity. I actually prefer the Spawn to fish, because the fish don't all Spawn at the same time. So you will have Pre-spawners, Spawners, and Post Spawners all at the same time. The Spawn however is always in the spring, and the spring is different times depending on where you're located.

Lizards
Old 11-13-05, 06:16 PM   #4
zooker

first full moon after the water temps reach 60 degrees arpil-may round here..

zooker
Old 11-13-05, 10:36 PM   #5
flachristopherkeene9
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

What if I can't sight fish (water is clear but the weeds extend about 10 to 20 feet from the shore.

Chris
flachristopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-05, 10:39 PM   #6
KH.

i have never caught a fish that i have saw, but during the spawn i should see, i thought started around late march
Old 11-14-05, 08:19 PM   #7
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopherkeene9
What if I can't sight fish (water is clear but the weeds extend about 10 to 20 feet from the shore.

Chris
Chris the bass will clear out a place to spawn, so there will be a hole in the weeds where they are spawing "IF" they spawn there. Usually prefer a solid bottom of some sort, even a tree stump. You should be able to see a round circle in the water where they will be. Now they are pretty skitish too, so you seeing the bed, doesn't mean you'll see the fish. A tip I read was too place a marker behind a bed, and back away from it, then cast to it from a distance. Spawning bass are tough to catch, but that's where you'll get the biggest bass from, since they are full of eggs many times. Again, if you catch one, release it asap, so it can spawn, and put more fish in the water for you. Check your local regulations, some places you aren't allowed to fish during the spawn, mostly up north though.

Lizards
Old 11-14-05, 08:22 PM   #8
KH.

they like tires too,
Old 11-15-05, 01:51 AM   #9
Rodman_Rob

chris, if we have a mild winter like we always do down here, look for em to start bedding as early as late jan. but typically by the end of feb all the way through may. look for em to clear out beds even in thicker areas of the weeds, try to get the highest vantage point with a good pair of polarized sun glasses, go out on a bright day with the sun right above and start looking. 98% of the beds in your area will be on sandy bottoms in an area in clear water. Its rumored that the bigger females will bed in deeper water in very clear lakes, you can find them in 3-6 ft of water. I'll be doing some snorkelling in some of the lakes to spot these deeper beds, possibly rodman as well, just don't like the fact they dump all the nuisance gators up there so the waters aren't the friendliest for swimmers.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.