Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-11, 07:34 PM   #1
wallywallace
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Abu casting verdict vs vengence vs veritas poles

a while back i bought a bunch lot of carrot stiks and skeet reese rods, i actually had a thread about it, any way finally sold and traded away what i didn't need. after all said and done i got some nice cash i wanna spend on a a few descent rods. look wise i like them all, what i can afford is actually 1 verdict and 1 veritas, a revo, if i find a descent on on ebay and a cheaper reel for the other. so whats yall imput on them and reel combos, if i pool gift money (if santa got it my way) i can proabably get all three.. anyway give me opnions.

ps. i usally get 7-7'3 MH rods, i beleive they give me more room to do most types of fishing, but again i'm open to any good outfits, def, want one of these for topwater
wallywallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-11, 07:57 PM   #2
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I've got a Veritas 6'6" M that I sometimes use for spinnerbaits, pretty good rod for the $, but I'm not real happy with the reel seat. Doesn't seem to want to stay tight. Might be just the one I have though?
Old 12-17-11, 11:40 AM   #3
WatterBoy

I bought a 7' MH Veritas spinning rod last year and absolutely love it! In fact, I liked it so much that I bought another one already this off-season.
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-11, 11:43 AM   #4
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

First what other rods and reels do you have, and what do you use them for? IMO you're kind of limiting your self to having only type of rod (power, length, action, etc.).

The rod I'd recommend really depends on what you need.
Old 12-17-11, 04:10 PM   #5
wallywallace

at moment, I have a skeet reese senko/toad on a pinnacle i use for froging

i have a carrot stik(think a 6'9) not sure that i use topwater on, i know not the longerst

berkly spinning amp with some quantam on it for plastics and sometimes use for chatter bait
field and stream tec spec spinning , for wacky rigging
rescently gifted shimono volturous(sp?) with a 6.4.1 pfleuger, have no clue what to do with.
a couple of other pole with no intended use at moment.
was thinking of the veritas MH 7 or 7'3 if that make one, for buzzbait rod, i useally go back and forth with frog rod to buzzbaits and it would be nice to have both i can just easly use
do not have a rod for spinner baits, my berkly amp was gonna be that, but when i throw a descent spinner on it, it feels like i have a small gill on it, hope that helps
Old 12-17-11, 10:13 PM   #6
lilmule

Other possibilites swimbait rod ,crankbait rod both needed long like 7 ft 10 in,if tossing the larger stuff,for smaller what you have would work.Crig rod berkley lightning is a cheapie and works great 6 1/2.
Spinnerbait rod id get shorter say 6- 6 1/2 ft med h,pistol grip or short two piece handle,its not something one has to toss a 1/4 mile and accurate casts are more important like to stumps,docks.The rod you have would do with lighter smaller spinnerbaits.
The carrot stix I own is more suited to horny toads than floating frogs and jungle,will handle to 4 41/2 after that if in veggies to light.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-11, 06:15 PM   #7
wallywallace

thanck youlilmule
Old 12-31-11, 06:34 PM   #8
bassboogieman

I'm just the opposited for spinnerbaits - I want a longer rod, my primary spinnerbait rod happens to be a 6'9" MH. I fish them a lot over grass or along weedlines, where I do want some distance with a cast. I don't cast spinnerbaits at cover often, I like to cast 5' - 6' (longer if I have room) beyond a piece of cover and retreive the spinnerbait (or chatterbait) past the stump, stick up, rock or along a dock. If I'm thowing a bait at a piece of cover, I usually use a jig or soft plastic bait. Every angler has their preference, just find one that suits your fishing style.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-12, 12:11 PM   #9
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Myself, I prefer a spinnerbait rod that is in 6'6" to 7' range, MH/F. The same goes for a buzzbait. As for topwater, I'll only use a 6'6" length rod. Power and action depends on what topwater I'm tossing. I wouldn't use the same rod for a full size Spook and a 1/4 oz. popper. A good all around topwater rod, "I think", would be a 6'6" M/F. My smaller topwaters like small popper and Baby Torpedos I use a 6'6" M/Mod. My reason for sticking with the 6'6" length for topwaters is that I feel that it is the perfect length for working the action of a topwater lure.
Old 01-01-12, 04:52 PM   #10
wallywallace

yea, i was thinking a 6'6 becasue longer spinning reels feel odd to me, i am weeding out all my 7' spinning down to 6'6 or 6', i was bit by the monkey well, actually i had good reason, a guy was selling a curado(sp) for 60 on CL or if i got both of his, he'd do 100.00 thinking of jumping on that, they are 7 gears, more weeding do to will the spare rods. I know this has to be a from of ocd, but i like all my reels to have rods, so to make it go away i weed. so after i get everything the way i want it and IF i get the curado, i may get a veristas if dicks or gander has another sell on them.

plus back to my other pitchin thread, if i get the reels, i could use one to make it my pitchin reel, since i would like to throw it in some heavy cover
Old 01-04-12, 07:01 PM   #11
wallywallace

WELL... after braggin to my buddy, that the berk;y amp is the best cheapo rod i have used, go home to get the reel thats on it( same friend is buying it off of me) as i proceed to take the reel off, the fake cork or whatever its called, just shatters, like there was a family of termites in it, (there wasn't) anyway got pissed and settled on a 6'6 vengence rod, pretty nice, gander had em for like 25
Old 01-04-12, 10:16 PM   #12
kennethdaysale

A.bsolutely
M.iserable
P.roduct
Old 01-04-12, 11:34 PM   #13
wallywallace

yea, and i liked it for a while, to be honest if there was a cabelas near me, i could say i hit em all, started this morning from bass pro, to dicks to gander, and all i have to show is a empty wallet, lol but with no actual water time, this seems like a good lil rod,

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.