Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-11, 12:06 PM   #1
IUbass
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default New guy / Alabama rig

Hey everyone, new to the site. I am 21 and attend Indiana University where I am on the fishing team. Fish some in Indiana, but home lake is Dale Hollow.

Anyway, I am home from break and I am already bored and I think I am gonna make a few Alabama rigs. Anyone have any tips for the process? I look

I look forward to getting to know you guys.
IUbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-11, 12:32 PM   #2
dhaddix
BassFishin.Com Member

I believe I saw a tutorial for this over at the Texas Fishing Forum website, a video that was very well done by Tom Reddington.

You may try to look it up on YouTube, or check out the forums over there and search for posts by Tom.

His version seems very well made and I believe I remember he said you can make it for about $5.

Best of luck.
dhaddix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-11, 12:43 PM   #3
WaffleJaw
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhaddix View Post
I believe I saw a tutorial for this over at the Texas Fishing Forum website, a video that was very well done by Tom Reddington.

You may try to look it up on YouTube, or check out the forums over there and search for posts by Tom.

His version seems very well made and I believe I remember he said you can make it for about $5.

Best of luck.
His videos were deleted/removed....Rumor is legal issues
Old 12-23-11, 12:55 PM   #4
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

welcome to the best site ont he web buddy. as you can tell i am a BAMA FAN. but i welcome ALL fishermen/women.

AS FOR MAKING THE BAMA RIG..I SEEN ON FACEBOOK (FISHING FRIEND) THIS GUY WENT TO THE LOCAL WALY WORLD AND BOUGHT SEVERAL WISKS. now think about it. he cut it somehow and used it to make his verson of the rig. interesting i think. but it will have some flaws i think. like it is gonna be HEAVY with the type of wire in those wisks. i'll see who it was and get back later on. after all it IS christmas and we got a lot of stuff to do over the next couple of days. stay tuned and i'll try tto find it again.
Old 12-23-11, 01:10 PM   #5
lilmule

There is a maker over at Martinsville Ind that sells them for about ten bucks,legal for use in ind ,or tn also makes a 5 arm version for bama.
his email is moebaits@yahoo.com
Also sells them on ebay and nicely made I have one
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-11, 04:30 PM   #6
IUbass

Thanks for the warm welcome. I have seen the videos and did notice they were taken down. I guess I shouldve downloaded them when I couldve!

Bamabassman - I'm roll tide all the way My dad grew up a Tennessee fan and we would always go to a game. My first was in 96' and I dont know why I chose Bama over Tenn then... maybe it was to be different than my dad, but its stuck. I almost went to UA a few times, but money is always a concern. Anyway I have been down to T-town for games and such. Hopefully I will be back the last weekend in Feb to work with habitat for humanity, but we might be in Birmingham... God I love that state. And take your time finding out! I think I am gonna go try to get some .40 wire and a few needle nose and maybe some epoxy or something I can find at the hardware store...

Lilmule - Thats awesome I will def shoot him an email. Some guys on the team and I have been to Tackle Service Center in Martinsville a few times. This wont be far at all!
Old 12-23-11, 05:12 PM   #7
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

It would be best if you solder the outside wires to the main line tie wire. If you plan to use stainless wire, you will need to silver solder it. It's an easy process if you have a micro torch or propane soldering torch. Google how to silver solder stailess wire. You need to clean it good with sandpaper and then acetone then use silver solder flux.
After you solder them together, you can use a wire crimp as the main head to cover them and help with strength. My idea however is to use marine grade epoxy putty to build the head. You get that at a hardware store in a small tube. It looks like a tootsie roll with a cream fill. Cut a small sectio off and roll it together to mix. Then wrap it around the soldered area and mold it into a fsh head shap or bullet shap, whatever you prefer. It will get as hard as a rock in about 10 minutes and you can sand it or file it to shape it more. It's very lightweight so it will be similar to the dense foam they use in the original A rig.
I plan to build me some myself, but I have a new idea that i will share here. I plan to slide short sections of plastic tubing onto the wire arms then a metal bead, a small willow leaf spinner blade, anothe rbead and another plastic tube. I plan to space out 3 or 4 small willow leaf blades on every arm. My version will be called the spinner bait ball
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-11, 05:38 PM   #8
IUbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro reel View Post
It would be best if you solder the outside wires to the main line tie wire. If you plan to use stainless wire, you will need to silver solder it. It's an easy process if you have a micro torch or propane soldering torch. Google how to silver solder stailess wire. You need to clean it good with sandpaper and then acetone then use silver solder flux.
After you solder them together, you can use a wire crimp as the main head to cover them and help with strength. My idea however is to use marine grade epoxy putty to build the head. You get that at a hardware store in a small tube. It looks like a tootsie roll with a cream fill. Cut a small sectio off and roll it together to mix. Then wrap it around the soldered area and mold it into a fsh head shap or bullet shap, whatever you prefer. It will get as hard as a rock in about 10 minutes and you can sand it or file it to shape it more. It's very lightweight so it will be similar to the dense foam they use in the original A rig.
I plan to build me some myself, but I have a new idea that i will share here. I plan to slide short sections of plastic tubing onto the wire arms then a metal bead, a small willow leaf spinner blade, anothe rbead and another plastic tube. I plan to space out 3 or 4 small willow leaf blades on every arm. My version will be called the spinner bait ball
Awesome that sounds like a great Idea. I know I have a micro torch. I still have some lure paint from Bass Pro I can use for the head. This sounds like a great project. I like your idea on the blades on the wires. Let us know how it goes!
Old 12-23-11, 07:33 PM   #9
lilmule

They come with the wires together just spread them out ,this is one of his three rigs.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-11, 09:40 PM   #10
IUbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmule View Post
They come with the wires together just spread them out ,this is one of his three rigs.
Yes sir, I emailed him this afternoon.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.