Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-11, 12:06 PM   #1
mdcamp3
BassFishin.Com Member

Default General All-Purpose Baitcasting Line

As I start my new adventures in world of Bass TTPs, I've come to the cross roads of what size and type line to use. The Line Guide has been extremely helpful; however I begin with the reality that I have a single 6'6'' Medium Fast Action rod with my newly acquired baitcaster. After reviewing the Line Guide I come to a conclusion that the best line would be 15lb FC for crankbaits and spinnerbaits-general all purpose. Am I in the ball park or just plain out to lunch?
mdcamp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-11, 12:50 PM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i'd say oyu are in the ball park IF oyu use flour on your other reels as well. it's what you are used to in my opion. i never use flour on anything myself. chevy-ford-dodge thing i think. i could be wrong..been wrong on a lot of things,lol. try it and see if oyu like it. if not switch.
i use mono for general purpose. braid for worms and such. i fish a LOT of heavy grass, etc. so iuse a LOT of braid. haha!
Old 12-23-11, 01:05 PM   #3
mdcamp3
BassFishin.Com Member

bamabassman--I typically use 6lb XT Mono for my jigging rods and 10lb XT/XL Mono for my crank/trolling rods. Of course these are all Spincasters. I do not fish a lot of heavy grass. I fish typical reservoirs here in NE PA that seem more like a fish bowl! Nothing like being a spitting distance from the shoreline in 8-12 FOW.
Old 12-23-11, 01:08 PM   #4
bamabassman

lol, i understand. that's why i posted what i did. different regions call for different types and pound test line. jsut my opion. down here, i can use 12-20# test mono and get away with it easyly. and the same for braid. i use 30-60# braid.

DANGIT...........now ya got me wanting to fishing. lol. sorry, cabin fever hit me again. hahahaha! man i can't wait for spring.......
Old 12-23-11, 06:36 PM   #5
Tavery5
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdcamp3 View Post
As I start my new adventures in world of Bass TTPs, I've come to the cross roads of what size and type line to use. The Line Guide has been extremely helpful; however I begin with the reality that I have a single 6'6'' Medium Fast Action rod with my newly acquired baitcaster. After reviewing the Line Guide I come to a conclusion that the best line would be 15lb FC for crankbaits and spinnerbaits-general all purpose. Am I in the ball park or just plain out to lunch?
If you are new to baitcasters it may benefit you to start out with a good quality mono line. Florocarbon line is expensive, and until you have had some time on the water with your new reel, there is a better chance than not that you will at some point have to cut the line off of the spool due to a backlash. Suffix makes a good mono.
Old 12-23-11, 07:34 PM   #6
mdcamp3
BassFishin.Com Member

Tavery5--thanks for the insight. I'm thinking maybe I should just stick with my mono xl. I'll need to take a look at Suffix. I haven't used it before.
Old 12-23-11, 09:22 PM   #7
Tavery5

There are some very good mono and co-polymer lines that are inexpensive. Get a good feel for your reel and then upgrade to a premium line. I think most will agree that it will save you some money in the long run.
Old 12-23-11, 10:47 PM   #8
WatterBoy

Yep, what Tony said. I would definitely go with mono while you're just starting out. I just started messing with a baitcaster for the first time ever last year and have either 12 or 15 lb mono on mine. I'm still not very good at it, but I'm started on learning it anyway, and I never did have a bird's nest that was bad enough that I had to cut any line off.
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-11, 12:01 AM   #9
rrw4258

I would start with 12-15lb berkley big game... It is inexpensive and found at walmart

Ryan
Old 12-24-11, 12:24 AM   #10
bassinbob

I'll second what Ryan said. Then move up to Pline CX. Find it at Dick's usually for cheap.
Old 12-25-11, 07:52 PM   #11
keithdog

I'll also recommend mono to learn on. First time baitcasters WILL have the occational backlash. Allow some time with less expensive line to learn on. Big game is a pretty good inexpensive line. I'd recommend 15 pound test as that will be a good all purpose line weight. Flourocarbon can be harder to cast with than mono, even if you know how to cast a baitcaster. It tends to be a stiffer line. So stick with mono for now.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.