Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-11, 09:22 PM   #1
Scott the fishman
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Is this reel good?

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shop...5011730/261232
thats what i am planning on getting for my frog rod anyone have this reel and what do they think of it?
Old 12-28-11, 09:41 PM   #2
Tavery5
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I don't have the reel so I can't comment on it's performance. One thing that would concern me about using it as a frog reel is that it has a very low IPT even the 7.1:1 version only has an IPT of 25 inches. I am not positive what platform this reel is built off of but it looks to be either a Pinnacle or Silstar, these have not been known for quality products in the past.

If I were in your shoes I would take a serious look at the Carbonlite reel, at $89 it looks to be a very good deal. It is built off of the Revo platform and is much lighter than the Enigma. It also has a much better IPT.

Get as much information as you can and then make the choice that is best for you.
Good Luck

Last edited by Tavery5; 12-28-11 at 09:50 PM.
Tavery5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-11, 09:46 PM   #3
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I personally hate the idea of a reel the prevents the back lashes for you. The fisherman should learn to use the breaks of reel, you'll be able to cast more accurately, and just fish more effectively. I grantee that 50% of what makes the reel that price is the fancy shmancy breaks. I'd rather buy a reel the same cost that put the price into what actually makes a good reel good.

Just my two pennies worth, never used the reel, but would never buy one.
Old 12-28-11, 09:53 PM   #4
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I have not heard anything good about the enigma. What I have heard is that those who tried it in the store say that it backlash's just as easy and just as bad as any other reel, but posibly even worse. I would go with a tried and true system such as a dual brake system on the PQ or carbon lite. Both are fine reels.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-11, 09:58 PM   #5
Scott the fishman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
I don't have the reel so I can't comment on it's performance. One thing that would concern me about using it as a frog reel is that it has a very low IPT even the 7.1:1 version only has an IPT of 25 inches. I am not positive what platform this reel is built off of but it looks to be either a Pinnacle or Silstar, these have not been known for quality products in the past.

If I were in your shoes I would take a serious look at the Carbonlite reel, at $89 it looks to be a very good deal. It is built off of the Revo platform and is much lighter than the Enigma. It also has a much better IPT.

Get as much information as you can and then make the choice that is best for you.
Good Luck
I am going to take your advice and get the carbon lite because all i hear is good reviews and Bass pro shops makes generally decent stuff. And its on sale saving me 30 bucks. Thanks man for the advice
Old 12-28-11, 09:59 PM   #6
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott the fishman View Post
I am going to take your advice and get the carbon lite because all i hear is good reviews and Bass pro shops makes generally decent stuff. And its on sale saving me 30 bucks. Thanks man for the advice

I think you made a good choice, the Carbonlite is a good reel and will last you a long time if you take care of it.
Old 12-28-11, 10:23 PM   #7
mike234

Thought about getting one for grandson so it would not backlash as bad on him. But after hearing pro reels take on the reel will not do it. What would be best baitcaster to teach youngster how to cast.
mike234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-11, 10:31 PM   #8
Tavery5

Mike234, I would choose something with dual brakes, this will offer you the best ability to tune the reel to the level of his competency. There are several reels now that offer dual braking, Pro Qualifier, Carbonlite, Lews Speed Spool, Pflueger Patriarch, and I am sure several others that I am failing to mention. Most of these reels can be purchased for around 100-150 dollars and will be a quality reel that will not need replaced in a year. Set the brakes and spool tension high and gradually dial them back as he becomes more proficient. Good Luck.
Old 12-29-11, 12:14 AM   #9
Scott the fishman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike234 View Post
Thought about getting one for grandson so it would not backlash as bad on him. But after hearing pro reels take on the reel will not do it. What would be best baitcaster to teach youngster how to cast.
The pro Qualifier is a great reel i have one it does not fail me. The others i have not tried but i thought about getting another qualifier.
Old 12-29-11, 12:21 AM   #10
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
The pro Qualifier is a great reel i have one it does not fail me. The others i have not tried but i thought about getting another qualifier.
If you like the PQ you'll like the carbon lite too. Pretty much the same exact reel, just with a couple ounces shaved off!
Old 12-29-11, 09:10 AM   #11
pro reel

Dual brakes for sure for a beginner. The carbonlite would be a good one because the weight might make more of a difference to a youngster. I would just start with all 6 internal pins turned on and set the mag dial up, then see what happens.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-11, 11:20 AM   #12
DVT Mike

There is no fool-proof baitcast reel, including an electronic brake like a Calais DC at $650 and even then you need to learn the adjustment capabilities. Stick with a tried and true model as suggested. Dual brakes are a good choice, centrifugal only are close IMO. Mag only are the hardest to use. The Shimano system is almost set it and forget it. Very forgiving. You need to learn to use your thumb to get the most out of any reel. Practice often and keep it fun!
Old 12-29-11, 07:21 PM   #13
Scott the fishman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
If you like the PQ you'll like the carbon lite too. Pretty much the same exact reel, just with a couple ounces shaved off!
Well when i get it I cant really use it everything is frozen haha but thanks reassuring my purchase
Old 12-29-11, 08:11 PM   #14
Dogmatic

Quote:
Well when i get it I cant really use it everything is frozen haha but thanks reassuring my purchase
ICE?! We're still open here, I've been out at least 3x every week for the month of December. I just laugh at all those people who winterized , and put their boats away.
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-11, 01:25 AM   #15
Scott the fishman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmatic View Post
ICE?! We're still open here, I've been out at least 3x every week for the month of December. I just laugh at all those people who winterized , and put their boats away.
Well i don't have a boat. BUt the lakes ice over melt ice over and i did get out nothing so i packing it way till spring
Old 12-30-11, 09:45 AM   #16
DVT Mike

Usually by now we're relegated to the river which stays open most of the year. Enjoy it while you can!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.