Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-09, 07:04 PM   #1
MallenManson
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson
Default Fish Finder Help

I've always been a shore fisherman but finally decided to register my tiny little boat. Bought the trolling motor and got a fish finder off ebay, today in fact.
when i checked it out, I see that it's single beam and it projects 20 degrees.
from what I've been able to gather, 20 degrees amounts to 1/3 of the water depth. I'm fishing inland lakes in Michigan and will be spending most of my time in 10-20' depths.
So at 10', I'll be monitoring fish in only a 3'4" path right?
If i get a dual beam, supposedly i'll view a 60 degree path, so 10' path for 10' depth?
This is my first finder and I went into the purchase totally blind.
Humminbird Piranhamax 210 is what I bought.
Any help would be greatly appreciated
MallenManson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-09, 07:44 PM   #2
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Welcome MallenManson, there are quite a few of us on here from Michigan.
Here's an explanation from Lowrance about the angles: http://www.lei-extras.com/tips/sonartut/coneangles.asp
and an example from Humminbird about their different technologies: http://www.humminbird-sales.com/Sonar.asp

Personally I find I use my sonar units more as depth finders since I am casting away form the boat. This is different when fishing deep such as on Lake Erie though when you are more likely to fish more vertical. Although I have learned a lot this winter so I hope to be able to use the sonar more to my advantage this year.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-09, 08:24 PM   #3
woody

Welcome aboard!

As the images scroll from right to left, pay particular attention to the right side of the screen, this where you will find your current sonar image.

~Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-09, 08:43 PM   #4
Captmikestarrett

And you will notice that the fish are always facing right too. I had one of those units and by pressing some buttons got it into demo mode. My partner was in shock and very exicted to see 50 ft of water and fish everywhere.. He started digging in his tackle box for a stingsilver and tied one on. I let him drop the jig down and when it hit at 10 feet he was cornfused.

I would not worry about to much about cone size. Make sure it works when running..

Capt Mike
Old 03-12-09, 06:48 PM   #5
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
Here's an explanation from Lowrance about the angles: http://www.lei-extras.com/tips/sonartut/coneangles.asp
and an example from Humminbird about their different technologies: http://www.humminbird-sales.com/Sonar.asp

Personally I find I use my sonar units more as depth finders since I am casting away form the boat. This is different when fishing deep such as on Lake Erie though when you are more likely to fish more vertical. Although I have learned a lot this winter so I hope to be able to use the sonar more to my advantage this year.

Great info. Thanks!
Old 03-12-09, 06:49 PM   #6
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody View Post
Welcome aboard!

As the images scroll from right to left, pay particular attention to the right side of the screen, this where you will find your current sonar image.

~Mark

Thanks, good to know
Old 03-12-09, 06:51 PM   #7
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captmikestarrett View Post
And you will notice that the fish are always facing right too. I had one of those units and by pressing some buttons got it into demo mode. My partner was in shock and very exicted to see 50 ft of water and fish everywhere.. He started digging in his tackle box for a stingsilver and tied one on. I let him drop the jig down and when it hit at 10 feet he was cornfused.

I would not worry about to much about cone size. Make sure it works when running..

Capt Mike

Something similar happened to a couple guys I work with. The finder ended up in demo for some reason and it was showing fish everywhere. Took them forever to figure it out. Shoulda been easy since they were in the middle of Crystal Lake and it was reading 60'
Old 03-12-09, 06:57 PM   #8
keithdog

I'd have to agree with Bender. The unit serves you better as a depth finder, looking for breaklines, soft or hard lake floor, weedbeds, ect. I think the 20 degree cone will work out just fine.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-09, 07:01 PM   #9
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
I'd have to agree with Bender. The unit serves you better as a depth finder, looking for breaklines, soft or hard lake floor, weedbeds, ect. I think the 20 degree cone will work out just fine.
Sounds like it will. I think I am gonna grab a dual though since it's only another $10-$20
Old 03-13-09, 07:16 PM   #10
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post

I had tried replying to your post the other night but for some reason it never made it through.
didn't want to you to think i didn't appreciate the help..so...thanks!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.