Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-10, 01:23 AM   #1
LilJakeC
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Jig Trailers

At what temps do you start fishing a jig with a trailer that has less action?
Old 11-07-10, 01:27 AM   #2
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

There is no hard and fast rule to anything in fishing. I know it sounds like a generic answer but just experiement and let the fish decide that for you. Having said that, I would say that once water temps drop into the mid to low 50's it is probably time to consider playing around with trailers.

Welcome to the site by the way. I have an aunt who lives in Council Bluffs IA.
Old 11-07-10, 01:38 AM   #3
LilJakeC
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
There is no hard and fast rule to anything in fishing. I know it sounds like a generic answer but just experiement and let the fish decide that for you. Having said that, I would say that once water temps drop into the mid to low 50's it is probably time to consider playing around with trailers.

Welcome to the site by the way. I have an aunt who lives in Council Bluffs IA.
Thanks for the warm welcome!

Also, my local lake is very muddy. The water clarity is less than a foot. Would this have an affect on what type of trailer I should use in the colder water?
Old 11-07-10, 09:05 AM   #4
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Welcome to the site!

I fish a lake similar to what you mentioned. Clarity of 8-12" about 16" at its best. We've done pretty decent on jigs with Chigger Craw trailers (the full size, not Chigger Cuncks).

However, we don't get up to that lake much when the water temps drop, so I won't be much help when it comes to cold water trailers.

BB
Old 11-07-10, 10:30 AM   #5
Bob Smith
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilJakeC View Post
Thanks for the warm welcome!

Also, my local lake is very muddy. The water clarity is less than a foot. Would this have an affect on what type of trailer I should use in the colder water?
Welcome to the site!!! From the sound of your lake, I would say that a bulky presentation would be the norm, something that displaces more water. As the water cools/chills, I would suggest using rattles moreso than worrying about the action of the trailer. Something dark, bulky and with a glass type rattle, coated liberally with bait attractant would be my preference.
Old 11-07-10, 10:37 AM   #6
Tavery5
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I would use a larger darker colored trailer, something like a Strike King Rage Tail Craw in a black and blue, junebug or California craw. I know as the water gets cold you usually try to fish trailers with less action, but you have such poor visibility that I would think a bass will need every advantage to find the bait and the Rage Craw is one of the tops for moving water. The Yum Craw Pappy might be another good choice, I believe that you can insert a rattle in the body of those, again helping the fish locate your bait. If you ever have the chance you should try to catch a couple of the crayfish where you are fishing, that will tell you allot about what colors to try and use.

Welcome to the site, there are allot of very knowledgeable people here, so I am sure you will get some great answers.
Tavery5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-10, 09:27 AM   #7
Mac2
BassFishin.Com Active Member

On the standard V tailed Chunks you will get less action with the legs coming off the top of the chunk when placed on the jig and more action when the legs are coming off the bottom of the chunk.......it has to do with the water turbulance just aft of the jig.
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.