Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-09, 12:47 AM   #1
Nitro 640
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Side Imaging

Has anyone used one of these?
Humminbird High-Definition Side Imaging sonar and GPS+WAAS and Chartplotting.

I also read that lowrance is going to have it now too. Add on for any HD system.

Looks good on paper, but is alot differen't compared to my outdated system.
Nitro 640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-09, 01:02 AM   #2
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

"If" I upgrade my electronics this year it will be a SI unit. Everybody I have talked to that uses them on Saint Clair and Erie says they are invaluable for finding rock piles and areas that hold fish on the big flats out there. I'm not really sure how effective they are on the inland lakes that have heavy weeds and lots of contours.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-09, 01:23 AM   #3
Nitro 640

I have wondered about heavy weeds. I do like how it looks like you can choose what side you want to show as in the left side to show the bank your running up. Just seems like I see them on all the boats on tv.
Nitro 640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-09, 02:06 AM   #4
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i have one and i love it. we don't have a whole lot in the way of weeds around here but it sure does show everything, and yes you can make it scan off to only one side if you want.

i have no valid info for lowrance coming out with a version of side imaging. however i have "heard" that this is under pattent by humminbird and that lowrance can't legally make it for like 10 years and by that time something newer and better will be the craze. like i said this could be total bs but it is just what i have read on the internet.
Old 03-01-09, 10:07 AM   #5
aikenyounggun

ok one of the guys in my club has one and says its perfect for finding brush piles and rock piles...... next time i see him ill ask him about the weed .... one of my frineds is also going to buy one ( new to this forum ..... swimbaitkid15) ....... but on the lowrance question ..... my dad is a big lowrance guy and we were talking to a dude that sells them and he said that they will be coming out with one later this year ..... so if you can wait a couple months the price will go down .... i know you can get a 5 inch side imaging right now for 999.99
Old 03-01-09, 08:06 PM   #6
3dkicker

The second version is now out. The smaller screen 797 is now the 798 but I couldn't tell you what the difference is. I'm sure they have upgraded the software system a little. Still $999 without the Navionics package which adds another $200.
Old 03-01-09, 09:02 PM   #7
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dkicker View Post
The second version is now out. The smaller screen 797 is now the 798 but I couldn't tell you what the difference is. I'm sure they have upgraded the software system a little. Still $999 without the Navionics package which adds another $200.
i think the main difference is an extra slot for a sd card. with the 797 you can save pics on the sd card but you have to remove your navionics chip, the new one eleminates that.
Old 03-02-09, 10:08 AM   #8
aikenyounggun

yeah it is a cool technology though
Old 03-02-09, 12:34 PM   #9
Raul

A friend of mine has one ----> AWSOM !!!!
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-09, 05:20 PM   #10
gibby1197
BassFishin.Com Member

Click image for larger version

Name:	grass w pocket.JPG
Views:	660
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	3243

Click image for larger version

Name:	Gun Lake MI Weedline and Isolated Clumps.JPG
Views:	654
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	3244

My name is Mark Gibson. I am the Senior Brand Manager for Humminbird. I saw this thread related to the side imaging units and I wanted to share a couple of items. First there were questions about how the SI units showed grass. I have tried to attach 2 grass shots. (1) is from Gun Lake in Michigan and the other is from a lake in Northern Wisconsin. If the attachments don't come through properly you can email me at mgibson@johnsonoutdoors.com and I will email the images to you. Edges of grass show up incredibly well on the SI units. If anyone knows how to the images I email them please feel free to do this.

The other topic was the differences between the previous 797 and the newly released 798. The 798 has 640x640 square 5" diagonal display, two card slots and 3 preset buttons that work like your car radio to save favorite VIEWS. The 797 has 640x480 rectangular 5" diagaonal display, one card slot and no preset buttons.

Finally Humminbird has released new software for all of their 700/900 and 1100 series units that has a super enhanced version of downlooking sonar that shows lures incredibly well and provides the best in structure and fish detail. The software is available on the website for free downloads.

You can either email me if you have questions at the above address or I will be watching for questions on this site.

thanks
gibby1197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-09, 06:20 PM   #11
bassackwards

that looks great when they get in the 3 to 4 range than ill get one
bassackwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-09, 07:17 PM   #12
lowrider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

i have heard they don't work well at slow speeds, like below 5 mph. is this true? if you used one for your front-of-boat view you surely won't be going that fast with the troller.
lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-09, 07:23 PM   #13
MississippiBoy

I saw an episode of "Hook'n'Look" the other day where they were graphing a lake with a side-imaging unit while barely moving. I don't know what kind they had, but it did well at no-wake speeds.
MississippiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-09, 07:30 PM   #14
lowrider

i saw that too. and that scenerio is the most likely place to use this technology.

i don't remember where i read about what i'm asking, but i did notice watching hank parkers show his screen had big blank spots. this was while under troller power.

mind you, if i had one it would most likely be on the console like everyone else's. i just thought i'd get a question answered from the dude above...or c-rig since he's the only member that uses one in the real world. ad's really tell you nothing, right?
Old 03-02-09, 10:16 PM   #15
rangerryan

i have one and i love mine and you can adjust the speed of the side imaging to keep up with you while trolling and i havnt had any trouble at all. it shows good pictures while im sitting still. i had to do a lot of crusing so that i could learn what i was looking at. but its definately a neat tool.
rangerryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-09, 10:18 PM   #16
rangerryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibby1197 View Post
Attachment 3243

Attachment 3244

My name is Mark Gibson. I am the Senior Brand Manager for Humminbird. I saw this thread related to the side imaging units and I wanted to share a couple of items. First there were questions about how the SI units showed grass. I have tried to attach 2 grass shots. (1) is from Gun Lake in Michigan and the other is from a lake in Northern Wisconsin. If the attachments don't come through properly you can email me at mgibson@johnsonoutdoors.com and I will email the images to you. Edges of grass show up incredibly well on the SI units. If anyone knows how to the images I email them please feel free to do this.

The other topic was the differences between the previous 797 and the newly released 798. The 798 has 640x640 square 5" diagonal display, two card slots and 3 preset buttons that work like your car radio to save favorite VIEWS. The 797 has 640x480 rectangular 5" diagaonal display, one card slot and no preset buttons.

Finally Humminbird has released new software for all of their 700/900 and 1100 series units that has a super enhanced version of downlooking sonar that shows lures incredibly well and provides the best in structure and fish detail. The software is available on the website for free downloads.

You can either email me if you have questions at the above address or I will be watching for questions on this site.

thanks
man i have a million questions for you. id like to beable to get the most out of my unit.
rangerryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-09, 10:22 PM   #17
Chargepro
BassFishin.Com Member

I use it on Gunterville and it work good.
Old 03-02-09, 10:43 PM   #18
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
i saw that too. and that scenerio is the most likely place to use this technology.

i don't remember where i read about what i'm asking, but i did notice watching hank parkers show his screen had big blank spots. this was while under troller power.

mind you, if i had one it would most likely be on the console like everyone else's. i just thought i'd get a question answered from the dude above...or c-rig since he's the only member that uses one in the real world. ad's really tell you nothing, right?
i haven't had any problems with mine getting blank spots at slow speeds, in fact it works best below 4mph.
Old 03-04-09, 03:03 PM   #19
gibby1197
BassFishin.Com Member

The side imaging will work fine even at speeds far less than 1 mph. I use mine on my MinnKota trolling motor even at 10% power and it works fine.

RangerRyan and others. I will be happy to answer any questions you might have. Just fire away with the questions and I will answer as best I can.

thanks
Old 03-04-09, 03:27 PM   #20
lowrider

answered my questions...thanks fellas.

btw, nice website gibby.
Old 03-05-09, 04:13 PM   #21
jasonfish320

I own the 997 and I have had a problem with the side imaging not working when sitting still, the picture seems to just turn all gray..once I start moving again the side imaging picks back up, should I make an adjustment?

I have played with a lot of the settings, but this thing is UNREAL, I cannot believe how well it works. The only downside would have to be the 2d sonar at high speeds, anything over 30 and it is sporatic at best
Old 03-06-09, 04:44 PM   #22
gibby1197
BassFishin.Com Member

The side imaging will not work while sitting still. Keep in mind that the SI works like an MRI. As the boat moves forward the laser thin beam moves across objects and takes 1000's of tiny slices of objects and builds them up into an image. If you are sitting still the laser thin beam is shooting out at the same location and taking slices of the same space over and over again until you move. It is "working" but you are just seeing an inch slice of the same area over and over again. let me know if this doesn't answer your question.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.