Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-09, 10:35 PM   #1
TNRACER93
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Muddy water help

Here in TN we have had alot of rain and the lakes are out of the banks and mudy. What would you guys do to catch some good fish in mudy water. Temperature is anywhere from 72-76. Would you fish deep or shallow? Main lake or creeks and pockets? What would you use bait wise? Any help will be greatly appreciated thanks
TNRACER93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-09, 10:44 PM   #2
stevomac59
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I have had luck with DARK baits. EX Black Flake Dingers.

As for the rest, I will let the experts answer.
Old 05-10-09, 10:45 PM   #3
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Fish shallow and EXTREMELY tight to cover. Lures? Think noise/vibration. My favorite muddy water bait is a spinnerbait with a big, single Colorado blade. It puts out a lot of vibration and is easy for a fish to find using it's lateral line. A noisy crankbait or a big, bulky jig is also a good choice.

Think of it this way: If you were to find yourself in a strange dark room the first thing you would do is find the wall for a frame of reference. Fish do the same thing-they butt right up next to some cover. Fish as tight to cover as you can-if you hit the cover, so much the better.

Since the fish can't use their sight as well in muddy water vibration/moving water is the key.

Last edited by Rebbasser; 05-10-09 at 10:59 PM.
Rebbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-09, 06:16 PM   #4
ronniek524
BassFishin.Com Member

Muddy water choices:

spinnerbait black single colorado blade
crankbait: crawdad colors
worms: dark tones that move lots of water; or straight tail if they are finicky on dark or neon colors.
Honestly it all depends... sometimes it all comes to where they at or not... finesse or not finesse will catch them ...
ronniek524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-09, 06:20 PM   #5
B-I-G

I'm with rebbasser on this one... A spinnerbait with a single Colorado blade maximizes vibration. But it also maximizes resistance...

For the main part... Think VIBRATION
Old 05-11-09, 06:44 PM   #6
stevomac59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser View Post
\

Think of it this way: If you were to find yourself in a strange dark room the first thing you would do is find the wall for a frame of reference.

great example reb!
Old 05-11-09, 06:54 PM   #7
TNRACER93
BassFishin.Com Member

thanks i plan on going out a few afternoons after work to see what i can figure out. There are alot of boat docks on the lake do you think its worth fishing them in high water or move back in the trees?
TNRACER93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-09, 07:27 PM   #8
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRACER93 View Post
thanks i plan on going out a few afternoons after work to see what i can figure out. There are alot of boat docks on the lake do you think its worth fishing them in high water or move back in the trees?
Hang tight to any cover you can find , i also would also try using a worm rattle , but like reb said a big colorado bladed spinner is clutch in those conditions .
The darker the water gets the tighter they will hold to the cover/structure they become very predictable . good luck man

jim
Old 05-12-09, 04:55 AM   #9
CCbass

Warm muddy water, flip if you can, colors a little darker then the water. Rattle traps in more open water in a lighter crawdad color always work for me.
CCbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-09, 09:49 AM   #10
toppwatr

i would try throwing something dark like a junebug color or something. and when i fish muddy and dark water i like to add some scent to my lures. once in muddy water i was crappie fishing using a rapala f-5 and smaering powerbait crappie attractant on it. the first cast out after a scent refreshment i got a 5 lb. bullhead. i swear by that stuff lol.
toppwatr is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.