Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-06, 01:44 PM   #1
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default why did we quit using that good lure?

Ya get a number of years under your belt, and you can remember what lure was so good when you started, then branched out to other areas, found something else new that comes along, then more of less forget about the usefulness of that old lure you always had tied on? For me it was culprit worms and also the ol back up craw crankbait, (rebel brand,moss green and orange pinchers), along with other baits.
I guess ya figure that the bass are used to seeing the same ol same ol every day, and when you find a new lure and it works, its hard to go back to the old ones...when powerbaits came along we no longer had to ad stinky gels to the worms, it had the scent right in it! a big deal at the time..
so, this last year I've made a commitment to use the lures I've kept that were great, and get them wet again..the culprits still do the job when the tiki stick bite goes stale, theres something to be said about the ribbon tail action, plus I figure the bass nowadays havent seen some of the older stuff, that still works..
I have countless crankbaits that fall into this category, esp getting out the wiggle worts and others this year, they sure do catch fish! I still love to get the new lures, with the fancy paint, but theres something to be said about old stuff..
The spinnerbaits are kinda the only exception, for me, all I pay attention to is the skirts that are popular and the craze at the time.. going from rubber to mylar type, now the newer ones have some awesome fish like combo colors.
Anyone out there still been throwing the same stuff for decades? jigs, worms, crankbaits, stickbaits, spinnerbaits..
one thing for sure, its the new and dif exposure to bass catching techniques is what really keeps my interest in the sport.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-06, 02:58 PM   #2
pig n jig
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

JB, When I started fishing, I used a Black colored Mister Twister Phenom worm and a Manns Jelly worm.I dont fish either of them any more.My big secret weapon was the sweet water chub in colbalt blue color.It was a small sluggo type bait that filled the livewell the days you knew you were on fish, but couldn't buy a bite due to weather conditions.The little bait really shined on those days.They quit making it, but last year its back into production, I just haven't bought any yet to try to see if they are the same.My last favorite bait was the Fleck falling star.They had a rubber skirt , you have to keep them separate from your silicone skirts, but that bait caught alot of fish for me over the years.I still have one of the origiinals left, but never use it.Lunker City bought Fleck last year, or the year before.Here is a fleck falling star. P N J
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scan0009.jpg
Views:	451
Size:	155.8 KB
ID:	998  
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-06, 03:36 PM   #3
texasbasser

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

when i first started fishing frequently, i would not put down a popper. i seemed to catch a ton on them. its been a year and a half since i have thrown one. i should try one out sometime know that you mention it.
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-06, 05:20 PM   #4
rrw4258

i will have to also say a popper type of bait, i haven't thrown one in over a year know, particulary because the bass at a local res never hit topwaters all that well this year, the only top water action i got was on a spook. Even then it wasn't that great. Oh well, always next year!

Ryan
Old 11-19-06, 05:32 PM   #5
ToPwAt'R GuY
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I started using roostertails. After about a year I started moving to topwaters. From this point is where I started experamenting with different baits.
ToPwAt'R GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-06, 05:47 PM   #6
JB

that spinnerbait in 1/4 ounce was our mainstay on the river in the fall..hard to beat in lots of lakes at that time of year
Old 11-19-06, 06:29 PM   #7
Christopherkeene9

JB I always have a red shad culprit tied on when I go fishing!
Christopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-06, 09:49 PM   #8
Rebbasser

A Jitterbug. I threw one all the time as a kid, but I can't remember the last time I tied one on. Hmmm.....hitting the lake Tuesday with Flyrod, and I've got a couple in the boat...
Old 11-19-06, 09:56 PM   #9
bassinbob

The old pre rigged worm was the first bass bait I used. Maybe next year I'll tie one on again.

Bob
Old 11-19-06, 10:05 PM   #10
pig n jig

Kellys ? What did they call their pre rigged worms, plow jockeys or something like that ? I caught fish on those before I started rigging my own worms.Kalin used to make a worm harness threader, creme made the the pre rigged worms with a spinner blade on it.Dang I had almost forgotten about them. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-06, 01:32 PM   #11
Wishing2BFishing

My old "go-to" lures also included the ribbon tale culprits. For me, the green shad was the color of choice. I also liked the Rebel Craws for smallmouth. I still throw the craws but the lure doesn't seem to catch fish anymore (I've got tons of em' just sittin' in my box).
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-06, 02:31 PM   #12
bassbooger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Man JB, you made my head start hurting having to think that much. LOL

My first lure I ever caught anything on was a green beetle spin, the large ones. I think they were 1/4 oz. Not sure, but I was fishing a pond with my step dad when I asked what it was because I hadn't seen any lure like it. He told me to tie it on and give it a shot. I was casting around when we saw something stirring up the water in a corner of the pond. He told me to cast over there and no sooner than I started reeling it back I had my first bass ever and it was on a lure. I was hooked from that point on. I haven't had any of those for a long time and come to think about it, I don't recall seeing them in the stores anymore. I see the little ones, but not the big ones. Maybe because I am there looking for more advanced stuff.
Old 11-20-06, 02:33 PM   #13
scrap
BassFishin.Com Active Member

the old black jointed jitterbug, as someone else pointed out was a good lure for me. one more thing, i think with me, the lure that i have confidence in, is the lure that i concentrate more on working properly. for instance, if i tie on a lure and i dont feel like it will get the job done, it generally doesn't. but, tie on one i am confident in, kazaam. my attitude and technique, and longer i will fish with that lure. perhaps that is why the jointed jitterbug has been good to me. mixed apples and oranges i know, my apologies to those who may have issues.
scrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-06, 02:51 PM   #14
JB

It does make ya think, I am wondering why this last all my popR's are sitting dry...I got on a spook kick several years ago, and just can't seem to put it down..I don't think I'll ever get tired of the buzzbait tho, once I picked up my first one, the style and size really hasn't changed and is still effective for me...
Then the hornytoad came around rofl...... something new and it works~!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.