Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-06, 09:05 PM   #1
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Stiff winds, advantage "non-boater"

Heres a quick scenerio...you draw a non boater and go out to fish 10 hours for a tournie, only to find out the wind picks up to 15-20 mph almost any part of the lake you go too..
Usually most feel the guy up front has a slight edge to hitting the sweet spots going down the bank, and of course in open water over humps it doesn't much matter ...
but, if you are the boater and fighting the wind, to keep your 15,00 dollar or more rig off the rocks, it does wear on ya, plus takes away the concentration of bass fishing, meanwhile you
look back to see the non boater enjoying a cheese cracker and casting away with no worries, not having to concentrate on much more than falling in...
Any of ya' all ever been in this situation and did the non boater in the back beat ya?
or better yet, did ya put the non boater up front to run the trolling motor, to give you a chance to fish more, yet take a huge risk of
a inexperienced boater run your rig into something?
food for thought eh? ................
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-06, 09:51 PM   #2
Rebbasser

Not so much when fishing, but when re-rigging it can get real interesting.
Old 07-15-06, 02:47 AM   #3
bassin_in_indiana
BassFishin.Com Member

I know exactly what you mean JB. Sometimes the person in the back seems to be catching most of the fish why your up front trying to fight the wind and keep the boat just right so the back person can fish the banks, all the while your getting frustrated doing all this and concentrating on the bass thats knockin on your lure. Your not the only one, I know what you mean!!
bassin_in_indiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-06, 11:09 AM   #4
FlyRod
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser
Not so much when fishing, but when re-rigging it can get real interesting.
True, but that's why I'm always fresh and ready to keep on casting. When Reb needs to retie, fumble through seventy-three rods, forty-six worm pouches, etc, I get LOTS of ZZZZZZZZZZ-time.
But seriously folks, being the front-seat guy is a multi-tasking and demanding job. (mebbe that's why another fishing partner says, "Fly, you stay in front. You're doing a good job...heehee.")
Reb goes to great lengths to keep me in position to fish effectively and I'm grateful. He caught on fast after just one smack in the back with a Spook, y'see. (To my eternal credit, I DID remove the trebles first, OK?) He also passes up choice spots in order to give me "first shot".
I've got another partner, a good guy in every way (just ask him,) who tends to forget he's got a partner. On the bright side, he makes me appreciate Reb's kindnesses all the more.
Another partner, a younger and more aggressive fisherman, is also a considerate guy. He's been unavailable for a while but that doesn't mean I wouldn't fish with him in a heartbeat.
My newest partner, an older gentleman who looks 30 years younger than he is, often offers me the front seat (he's the "heehee" one.) I appreciate the opportunities that affords, but fully realize the responsibilities that accompany it.
Wind is our enemy, generally speaking, at least when past certain velocities, and if any backseater feels he's being slighted he needs to spend some front seat time on a breezy day. THEN, he'll better appreciate what his partner is faced with when on the pedal.
Actually, when angling with a certain Aggie (Shhhhhhh...my good name is at stake!) I get more effective casts in than most backseaters do. Reb is a study in consideration for others, though I'm afraid I'm inflating his ego to the point where it'll make a PFD unnecessary,
I suppose that if money was involved, one could get a bit fretful when his front seat man seems to forget him. Let's remember, though, that HE's making the boat payment, sweating the maintenance, and could easily have invited someone else.

F.Rod
Tail-gunner Par Excellence (modest too!)
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-06, 07:33 PM   #5
zooker

F.Rod

wow i may need a mud boat to plow thru the bull spread right here..
oh by the way fly pop-r.. i was set to get ya good the first time i called ya.. fortunately for YOU that sounding like grampaw walton -i aint joking-made me for get the set up for the joke..think i am kidding ask reb we disgusted it before i called..

as a tourny non boater -who owns a boat- a lot of the guys-with one exception- i fish with have no problem letting me run there boat. while they re-rig. or even spell them on the troller. hey i have been there done that with fighting wind all day, i know how tough it can be. even a 30 mintue break from the troller can make a huge differance in the boater's faitque level..

zooker

Last edited by zooker; 07-15-06 at 07:40 PM.
zooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-06, 10:07 AM   #6
FlyRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker
F.Rod

wow i may need a mud boat to plow thru the bull spread right here..
oh by the way fly pop-r.. i was set to get ya good the first time i called ya.. fortunately for YOU that sounding like grampaw walton -i aint joking-made me for get the set up for the joke..think i am kidding ask reb we disgusted it before i called..

as a tourny non boater -who owns a boat- a lot of the guys-with one exception- i fish with have no problem letting me run there boat. while they re-rig. or even spell them on the troller. hey i have been there done that with fighting wind all day, i know how tough it can be. even a 30 mintue break from the troller can make a huge differance in the boater's faitque level..

zooker

Note to self....SCREEN CALLS!

Self
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-06, 05:19 PM   #7
dampeoples
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to dampeoples

I fish as both, and you just have to adjust, no matter where you are. It's definately nicer not having to worry about the boat in the wind, but you have to also cut the driver some slack.
dampeoples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-06, 08:07 PM   #8
bassnman30

Hey Zook, I might or might not take that the wrong way. Just say it aint me !
You never asked and I didn't offer.
Next time, just ask and the front will be your's. You may not like it but when you get up there, thats it. You can't get back !
In other words once you go up front, you cannot be a non-boater again that day. The boater (while in the back) gets to relax, eat a samich, dig through tackle,read a magazine,etc...

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.