Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-07, 09:07 PM   #1
Bass'n'cast
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Topographic maps

hey guys i was wondering i read alot about people using topo maps and how they use them when preparing to fish a tournament. well i plan on joining a local fishing club and i figured i could use all the help i could get. so my question is what is a topo map how do i use one and what are some popular websites for topo maps?
Bass'n'cast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-07, 09:22 PM   #2
bassfisher02
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to bassfisher02

Topo maps show land structure and features. Such as depressions, hills, mountains, elevation, etc.etc. For fishing underwater topo maps are used. They show underwater structure like creek beds and hills and what not. Do a site search to locate good sites to acquire topo maps, there have been a lot of topics covering such. You can also pick one up at your local tackle shop.
Old 07-16-07, 09:27 PM   #3
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/f...sfishing/index

Here's a map of Lake Monroe. A topo map basically gives you the details of depth, structure "UNDER" the water. The change in depth, weed lines, structure is more what we look for to target where the bass are more likely to be. Bass are creatures of habit. They like structure and cover. During different times of the year, they can be in different locations. Bass usually aren't swimming around in open water, unless the baitfish are there. They prefer to be more of a ambush feeder, lurking in a area of cover, and pouncing on it's unknowing prey. Now with all that said, there are always exceptions, and the bass don't always play by the rules we want them to.

Lizards
Old 07-16-07, 09:48 PM   #4
3dkicker

One thing I did when I started fishing tournaments was to blow up sections of the lakes or rivers that I was going to fish. I'd then color the different depths. Finally after fishing them I'd mark laydowns, stumps, and other cover that I'd see or find on the depth finder.
By marking the depths really makes the points and creek channel bends jump out at you.
Old 07-16-07, 09:52 PM   #5
Bender

For Indiana there are these books also: http://www.sportsmansconnection.com/Indiana/
I bought one map last weekend when fishing in IN, it helped a little since I didn't know the lake at all. If yo are fishing tournaments it may be better to get a GPS with a map chip. That is what I have for MI, but I didn't want to shell out the $$$ for one weekend of fishing out-of-state. It tells you all topo features and where you are in relation to them.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-07, 10:35 PM   #6
Rebbasser

Here is another one:

http://mapserver.maptech.com/homepag...TOKEN=58076185
Old 07-17-07, 05:46 PM   #7
zooker

the one thing you MUST beaware of when using topo maps in the lakes.. that there is always some where on them an elevation reading.. -feet above sea level-
this gives the lake elevation at a certain spot at full pond.. depths change when the water is lowered..

zooker
Old 07-20-07, 12:09 PM   #8
Snake2715
BassFishin.Com Active Member

You know I asked this question earlier to a friend.

What are we looking for in general in summer months like this... drop offs and mounds or underwater "hills"?

I know that the bass tend to be deeper, but should I be fishing the drop offs or the hills, or what?

I have been out 3 times in the last 2 weeks and have not done that great. I think I need to change my approach of where I am fishing and potentially what I am using.

Not trying to hijack, but I feel it is related to what structures we are looking for on a topo at this time of year...
Old 07-20-07, 12:20 PM   #9
JB

If you think the bass are summer deep and have a topo, look for any point that is near a creek channel, esp if the point curves around one side or another near the channel.
Other than that, you can look for points and then use your graph once you are there and look for fish.
Try plastics or let a rattletrap sink to those greater depths.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-07, 09:01 PM   #10
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
If you think the bass are summer deep and have a topo, look for any point that is near a creek channel, esp if the point curves around one side or another near the channel.
Other than that, you can look for points and then use your graph once you are there and look for fish.
Try plastics or let a rattletrap sink to those greater depths.

Or fish at night.

Lizards

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.