Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-08, 07:55 PM   #1
BassHawg7
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Is it alright to put a Bass Boat in salt water?

This may be a stupid question. I have a lot of salt water around my house. Just wondering if I wash the boat afterwards will it be O.K.
BassHawg7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-08, 08:32 PM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

yes it should be alright. IF you wash it throughly. i lived in south alabama for 17 years, and folks there were constantly going from fresh to salt water all the time. so i asked them. they said yes if you wash it after every outing. although they did say that you should invest in a gal. trailer. makes sense to me. and be sure to flush the motor too. throughly!
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-08, 08:50 PM   #3
Rebbasser

It won't hurt the boat, but it will eat a non-galvanized trailer alive. Rust it out in nothing flat. the boat will be fine if you flush the engine and live wells out with fresh water.
Old 02-27-08, 07:14 PM   #4
adamgambill
BassFishin.Com Active Member

He's right. Wash 'er down real good and you should have no problem. Keep a good tide chart though, when it goes out you best be in, sandbars are a beyotch to get off of in a heavy bass sled. Be sure you aint running too shallow either 'less you have a jack-plate.
Old 02-28-08, 07:33 PM   #5
zooker

allright the answer from a good friend and fellow salty angler..

Biggest thing is make sure you flush everything WELL... Livewells and every nook and cranny!! Flush the trailer out as much as possible too... Just waiting until the next day will allow salt to crystalize inside pumps and the engine... I spray my entire engine under the hood with a mist of wd40 as a protectant against corrosion. Just a misting not enought to make it a fire hazard when it gets hot. I spray the coupling on the trailer, the winch and strap buckles too. Be sure to keep wheel bearings flushed with fresh grease especially if you show any sign at all that you may have a bit of leakage. If it lets oil,grease out it will let saltwater in! bearing buddies are designed to help keep positive pressure against the seals and keep water out. Any plug in connections like depth finders, trolling motor plugs etc need a shot of white grease or WD40 to keep corrosion out as well.. I recommend after a season of salt that you have your thermostat replaced just for cheap insurance, but that's just me.... I have an old boat so it is best for me to stay on top of things. Newer stuff may be less prone to corrosion due to better materials.

my lil buddy "sundrop" knows what he is talking about it.

i also use his advice when go out and fish in the salt water..

zooker

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.