Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-07, 05:43 PM   #1
pig n jig
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Crankbaits

I was wondering what your most producing crankbait was this year ? Mine had to the Bandit 100 in bluegill color.It was close between the Bandit and a Luckycraft Combat ssr crankbait.The luckycraft brought in as many, maybe more fish, but the Bandit brought in better sized fish. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-07, 06:06 PM   #2
lunker-lander

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander

Well, Ijust started fishing cranks this year, but my best producing bait had to be the Rapala Jointed Shad Rap, size 8, (I think), in craw color.

-ll
Old 11-12-07, 07:34 PM   #3
Mac10

Rapala DT4 in bluegill for me.... Both large and smallmouth.
Mac10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-07, 09:33 PM   #4
garry_3000
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Bandit 100 custome bluegill
garry_3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-07, 10:12 PM   #5
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

it's a tie for me really

the bandit 100 has been a steady prodocer for me..

around the 4th of july i took a "cooking"class in the back of chef sabo's boat..

his bait of choice:
the lucky craft fat cb d-20. it has really stacked them up for me..

nuff said

zooker
Old 11-12-07, 10:29 PM   #6
carolina-rig-01

have struggled to stay in a crankbait bite this year, really hit and miss but my best this year as far as numbers go would be a lipless crankbait, and not far behind in numbers but way ahead in size would be a bomber fat a. i throw about every kind of crankbait known to man but if i had to count on one crankbait to bail my a$$ out time and again it would be the fat a.
Old 11-13-07, 01:05 AM   #7
keithdog

Well, the first half of the year back when the water was discolored, my best crankbait was the Rapala Jointed Shad Rap in a number 5 size. The color was a Cabelas exclusive color, which was similar to the Hot Tiger, but with a little hotter orange red color to it. I was slaying the bass and walleye on that little bugger. The second half of the year, my best luck hands down was a Rapala size 6 DT Sure Set crank in the Bleeding Olive Shiner color pattern. I took off the sure set hooks and replaced them with some red barbarian hooks. The bass really ate up that crank the second half of the year. I've never used a Bandit 100 series crank Zooker. I'll have to pick up a couple to try this next year.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-07, 09:01 AM   #8
bassthumb32
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to bassthumb32 Send a message via MSN to bassthumb32

for me it was as zooker mentioned earlier the luckycraft cbd 20 I really wacked em with it this year. that bait gets down really quick and it is easy to feel the bottom with. aruora black was my most producing color but i caught my biggest fish this year with american shad colored one.
Old 11-13-07, 07:06 PM   #9
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
I've never used a Bandit 100 series crank Zooker. I'll have to pick up a couple to try this next year.
keith
remove the rear treble hook and but the same size LONG shank mustad treble. this helps a tremendus amount in keeping the bass on them..

zooker
Old 11-14-07, 07:13 AM   #10
1FASTLASER

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
Well, the first half of the year back when the water was discolored, my best crankbait was the Rapala Jointed Shad Rap in a number 5 size. The color was a Cabelas exclusive color, which was similar to the Hot Tiger, but with a little hotter orange red color to it. I was slaying the bass and walleye on that little bugger. The second half of the year, my best luck hands down was a Rapala size 6 DT Sure Set crank in the Bleeding Olive Shiner color pattern. I took off the sure set hooks and replaced them with some red barbarian hooks. The bass really ate up that crank the second half of the year. I've never used a Bandit 100 series crank Zooker. I'll have to pick up a couple to try this next year.

WOOOO!!!! Hold on there buckaroo. Dont wait till next year. That Bandit 100 series is REALLY coming into play right now. I dont know where ya live kd but man dont wait that long. And since I am giving away hints I will go ahead and give ya'll another one of my lil secrets. Get that Bandit 100 AND a Bandit Footloose in the black splatter back. Throw the 100 series on the outside edges of the weeds and where the weeds have died off and allow it throw the footloose on the tops of the receding weeds.

Ok class dismissed NOW GO CATCH SOME FISH!!
Old 11-14-07, 08:20 PM   #11
pig n jig

I have had a heck of a time keeping those Norman Thin N and Mad N cranks in tune.I catch a fish and the next cast and retreive, the crank runs way off course, like the line tie bends from bringing a fish to the boat ?
Old 11-14-07, 10:46 PM   #12
rrw4258

my top three cranks from the 2007 season were
1. Rapala DT-4 in bluegill
2. Mann's Baby4- in Chrome/Black
3. Mann's Baby1 Elite Series in Ghost Minnow.

All of these cranks brought in bass well over 4-5 pounds this year, especially out of lake erie.

Ryan
Old 11-14-07, 10:49 PM   #13
garry_3000

Hey try this tip when I tune my crank and get it to run good I cut the line about 1 in from line tie and and put some super glue arround the eye and let it dry. I can catch abou 10 fish before I repete. My gramps tought me.
garry_3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-07, 08:00 AM   #14
keithdog

Thanks for the tip Zooker. I'll do that. I'm already preparing for next year. The water temps here are now in the low 40's and the last two trips out the fish had lock jaw. The weedbeds have died off for the most part and of the few I located with cranks, the bass were thumbin their nose at me. Time to battle some steelheads in the streams now.
Old 11-15-07, 08:39 AM   #15
bassthumb32
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to bassthumb32 Send a message via MSN to bassthumb32

I have experienced that with deep little n's pnj. It really sucks because i like to get the fish in the livewell and make another cast to the same place but it often rolls on its side.
Old 11-15-07, 08:49 AM   #16
links_man2

I have had good luck with the Bandit 300's in Pearl/Black Back and Chart/Blue Back. Also, they stay tuned and usually run well straight out of the package. I do always change the hooks to Gamakatsu.
links_man2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-07, 06:46 PM   #17
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig n jig View Post
I have had a heck of a time keeping those Norman Thin N and Mad N cranks in tune.I catch a fish and the next cast and retreive, the crank runs way off course, like the line tie bends from bringing a fish to the boat ?
i have never had this happen to any norman i have used.. but i rarely use either of those two baits..

i use alot of the medium n and deep n and a bunch of deep lil n's.. it could possably happen.

are you lippin the fish in the water or hositing them over the side??

zooker
Old 11-15-07, 06:58 PM   #18
pig n jig

I hoist them in the boat, I anit going to lip them when they got a face full of crankbait.Them trebles can get your attention, especially when there's a fish attached to the other end thrashing around as your knees buckle from the tremendous amount of pain the little treble hook inflicts upon you, while impaled through your hand. No sir, I hoist them in the boat and then put the pliars to the hook, once I got a good firm grip on the fish. P N J
Old 11-15-07, 07:34 PM   #19
zooker

i never said i lip them. but i do grab the crankbait and hoist the fish by it.. a hoist from water into the boat using the line may be your problem..

zooker
Old 11-15-07, 10:19 PM   #20
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

My dad's and my top producing crank would have to be the Bandit 100 in Bluegill colored. I really like the Bandits because they run good, and the hooks are good enough for me right out of the package. We are going to replace the hooks next spring on some of our cranks. What hooks you guys suggest. I was looking at the VMC Barbarian Trebles. I'd like to use Gamakatsu, but they are too pricey for me.

And about lipping the fish, I have never had the problem of the line tie messing up with any of the crankbaits I have. Most of the fish we catch aren't real big though, so we just grab them instead of lipping them.
Old 11-16-07, 05:49 PM   #21
zooker

bb14
i have switched to a long shank mustad tripple grip on the rear of my bandits 100 there is something odd with the shape of the bait that helps the bass come off easier..since i made this switch i have not lost any fish on a bandit 100.

zooker
Old 11-16-07, 05:58 PM   #22
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Thanks Zook, I'll keep that in mind next spring when we get hooks.

Since a lot of you have been saying about the Rapala DT's When we went to Cabela's last night, I got one. It's a DT 4 in bluegill. I'll have to try it out next spring. Or maybe now, if only it was warmer than 35 degrees...
Old 11-16-07, 07:17 PM   #23
3dkicker

I did real well this year on the RC 1.5 on the Potomac river starting with water temps in the low 50's. I tossed the 1.5 and 2.5 on Anna most of the year and caught fewer but definately better fish on the 2.5. Bandit 200's do real well on the river at this time of year. One crankbait that always produces on the river all year long is the Baby 1.
My top 4 of the year.
Old 11-16-07, 07:31 PM   #24
JB

I've caught them this year on the crome rattle trap, the bomber shad 5-7 ft diver, cotton cordell deep diver black and silver
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-07, 08:58 AM   #25
keithdog

Hey Big, did you buy the square lipped DT4? I purchased one recently and was amazed at how well it works through brush, logs, etc. I noticed it was bouncing off every kind of wood, to the point where just for fun, I was actually trying to get it snagged on brush, logs, etc. Not once did it ever snag on any wood. I think you'll like this bait.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.