Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-10, 06:11 AM   #1
tim4081
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Favorite Fall Technique?

Here in Michigan fall isn't far away, some of the leafs are starting to change color already, and its my favorite time to be on the water since there are far fewer pleasure boats, jet skiers etc. and the fish become more active. Just wondering what are your favorite techniques/lures for this time of year?

For me its been senkos, jigs and jerkbaits but I'd like to hear whats worked for you guys in the past.
tim4081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-10, 08:54 AM   #2
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Spinnerbaits are always near the top of my list for fall bass fishing. I'll work them anywhere there is cover to hold bass. Spinnerbaits are deadly in lilly pads when they start to die back! I'll also be probing mid depths with crankbaits untill it starts to snow. By then I'm done with bass fishing for the year and watching college football on saturdays! I'll also be working with soft jerk baits, especially the KVD StrikeKing Caffeen Shads. Those are my favorite by far. And I will still be working with surface baits worked slowly in the early morning hours. One thing I believe is that one should upsize their lure choices in the fall. By then the baitfish that bass have been chasing durring the summer movements have grown, and bass, especially those up north where winter covers the water with ice, are looking for a big meal before winter settles in.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-10, 10:01 AM   #3
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Fall is my favorite time as well (even though there are some days in Spring that just can't be beat).

I love being on the water early in the morning with a jacket, and have it warm up to long T-Shirt weather after. It's still a few days away around here.

Probably my favorite part of the fall bite is that if you can find brush, you'll find fish. I love buzzbaits or spinnerbaits in the morning and switching to a jig once the sun gets up.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-10, 07:48 PM   #4
Dominic
BassFishin.Com Member

Early fall is jigs and spinnerbaits. I like later in early Nov. when the bass relocate to mid lake structure in 20+ '. Blade baits, spoons and hair jigs straight up and down. It's a nice change of pace until you freeze.
Dominic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-10, 09:11 PM   #5
walkeraviator
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Buzzbaits Buzzbaits and Buzzbaits... i will go to other tactics when the sun comes up high in teh sky, but nothing in the world is as fun as a blow up on a buzzbait as it passes a laydown in 12" of water...
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-10, 09:26 PM   #6
Embrey
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

how could it be anything but buzzbait?
Embrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-10, 11:07 AM   #7
skeeter1804

Spinnerbaits, shallow cranks and white jigs.
skeeter1804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-10, 01:59 PM   #8
Backwater Charlie

Been having luck with Buzzbaits here in late Summer.. in early Fall I'll be throwing Spinnerbaits next to cover, along with Buzzbaits 'n Jigs.
Old 09-07-10, 12:00 AM   #9
Akiyama_custom_baits
BassFishin.Com Member

Last fall my buddies introduced me to blade baits, you know, the kind like the heddon sonar. Cast out, let it sink to the bottom, then vibrate it up a foot or two, then let it fall back down. I would normally stop fishing in October, but with this technique I was out until the end of November.
Akiyama_custom_baits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-10, 12:13 AM   #10
cassidyta

My Fall is far more mild, but soft jerk baits and senkos are on the top of my list.
Old 09-07-10, 07:02 AM   #11
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embrey View Post
how could it be anything but buzzbait?
I wish I could spend a day fishing with one of you guys who catch fish on buzzbaits to see what you do differently. I bet I've made over a 1000 casts with buzzbaits and have only caught two fish. I know lots of folks do great with them. Don't know why but I never even get a blowup with them. Maybe the lakes around here are different. I can make 10 casts to a location with a buzz bait and get ziltch. Follow up with a spinnerbait ot a Baby Torpeodo and WHAM.
Old 09-07-10, 10:38 AM   #12
cassidyta

Keith, for me it is all about location. I throw them a lot in places where the grass or sticks almost break the surface. Places where the torpedo would get hung up.
That being said, as long as you have a technique that works for you, why change?
Old 09-08-10, 03:49 AM   #13
FishinFreak
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
I wish I could spend a day fishing with one of you guys who catch fish on buzzbaits to see what you do differently. I bet I've made over a 1000 casts with buzzbaits and have only caught two fish. I know lots of folks do great with them. Don't know why but I never even get a blowup with them. Maybe the lakes around here are different. I can make 10 casts to a location with a buzz bait and get ziltch. Follow up with a spinnerbait ot a Baby Torpeodo and WHAM.
The biggest bass I ever caught was with a buzzbait. It was on a golf coarse pond. I was cranking the bait and wham...HOG on the line. She spit my buzzbait back at me as she jumped out the water. I was like damn. OMG. So I casted again. Same thing happened. She spit the buzzbait out again. I couldnt believe it. I think it was the third time that I finally reeled her in. She was a monster! I still hate myself for releasing her back. She was a true lunker!
FishinFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-10, 07:55 PM   #14
Bassboss

Quote:
Spinnerbaits are always near the top of my list for fall bass fishing. I'll work them anywhere there is cover to hold bass. Spinnerbaits are deadly in lilly pads when they start to die back! I'll also be probing mid depths with crankbaits untill it starts to snow. By then I'm done with bass fishing for the year and watching college football on saturdays! I'll also be working with soft jerk baits, especially the KVD StrikeKing Caffeen Shads. Those are my favorite by far. And I will still be working with surface baits worked slowly in the early morning hours. One thing I believe is that one should upsize their lure choices in the fall. By then the baitfish that bass have been chasing durring the summer movements have grown, and bass, especially those up north where winter covers the water with ice, are looking for a big meal before winter settles in.
Ditto!! Love me a big double willow spinnerbait in the fall. A crankbait when it gets a cool, and a shad rap when it's gets colder. And a regular sized spook in the morning.
Old 09-09-10, 04:39 PM   #15
dave0943

In upper MI, I've had good luck with spinner baits, Cranks and most definitely, jigs with assorted trailers.
dave0943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-10, 04:59 PM   #16
bamabassman

well i use the same things you guys use with one exception.........i also use a lizzard and/or a 8-10 inch worm. if the bite ain't on the first baits, i go with the lizz/worm.
Old 09-09-10, 07:37 PM   #17
Dave63

I've really been hitting the cranks and traps hard this fall and catching a ton of fish, so far.
Dave63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-10, 09:37 PM   #18
Akiyama_custom_baits
BassFishin.Com Member

So when you guys fish with buzzbaits and spinnerbaits, do you tie directly to the bait or use a snap swivel? I always use a swivel and of course the swivel slides all over the bait. Any idea why the tackle companys use that open bend instead of a closed loop like the beetle spins? Thanks, Dave
Old 09-09-10, 10:40 PM   #19
bamabassman

aki, it depends on how my arthuritis is acting on the day in question. i would PERFER to tie DIRECTLY to the spinner or buzz. just that sometimes my hands and fingers have other plans.
Old 09-09-10, 11:51 PM   #20
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akiyama_custom_baits View Post
So when you guys fish with buzzbaits and spinnerbaits, do you tie directly to the bait or use a snap swivel? I always use a swivel and of course the swivel slides all over the bait. Any idea why the tackle companys use that open bend instead of a closed loop like the beetle spins? Thanks, Dave
I'm not sure why they make them open like that but they are meant to have the line tied dirrectly to the spinnerbait. Spinnerbaits do not twist your line like an in line spinnerbait like a Mepps or Roostertail does. I have seen a tip where people who use snaps on open armed spinnerbaits can take a small piece of rubber tubing and slip it over the bend and tie to the wire left exposed. Wish I had a pic of this to show you.
Old 09-10-10, 12:37 AM   #21
BassNewbie
BassFishin.Com Member

Not sure if i would say its a "fall" technique. But so far Im loving using my first baitcaster to pitch a jig with craw trailer into some brush, then slowly drag it perpendicular to shore. Caught a few lately on that.

I really need to find a way to go fishing a few times with people who really know what there doing. Every time i go out I try using spinners, buzzers, and even crankbaits, but with no luck. Finally after 3-4 hours of no luck, ill switch to a senko (or now jig) and catch some fish.

I would like to say "maybe its my lake" but more likely its just something about my presentation with spinners/buzzbaits/cranks. Cause ive never even got blowups or missed strikes with those.
BassNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-10, 09:46 AM   #22
BassNewbie
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
I'm not sure why they make them open like that but they are meant to have the line tied dirrectly to the spinnerbait. Spinnerbaits do not twist your line like an in line spinnerbait like a Mepps or Roostertail does. I have seen a tip where people who use snaps on open armed spinnerbaits can take a small piece of rubber tubing and slip it over the bend and tie to the wire left exposed. Wish I had a pic of this to show you.
Ive also seen people use bobber stoppers. Not the whole big float and all. But alot of tackle shops sell the older little tension hooks you can add to your line to hold a "line through" float in a certain spot. Ive read people using these for such an application.
BassNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-10, 09:51 AM   #23
dave

Quote:
Never with those baits. Crankbaits only for me.
dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-10, 12:19 PM   #24
DaveW731

Quote:
Open loop = far better vibration than the closed loop.
DaveW731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-10, 06:34 PM   #25
Akiyama_custom_baits
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for the insight and solutions everyone! I have a better understanding now.
Dave

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.